View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Movies seen this past week (or two), from INCREDIBLE to...okay...

The Haunting Of Molly Hartley (Chace Crawford, Jake Weber and Haley Bennett) - One to watch when you've got nothing else to do. Not bad, just not great, either. What surprised me most about this movie about how simple the story was. There's one plotline, the movie sticks to it and then it ends. Movies nowadays have so many twists, turns and surprises...but not this one!
    This is good for those lazy Sunday afternoons when, for some reason, there is no L&O: SVU marathon on anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I got dragged to that while it was in the theater. Meh is the perfect word for it. Disappointing considering it's an Eastwood film.
    I didn't know who directed this when I put it in my queue (or at least I had forgotten by the time I got the DVD) so I was very surprised to see that Eastwood had directed it.

Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    I saw 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' yesterday. Gary Oldman was excellent as Smiley. It was obviously simplified to fit it into two hours, but still a film.
    Just put that in my Netflix queue. Thanks!
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just got back from Paranormal Activity 3. LOOOOOOVED IT!!! I loved the first two as well, and I enjoyed the third installment as much as the previous two. Can't wait for more!

Apparently I'm not alone in enjoying this one...

'Paranormal Activity 3' scares up a record-setting opening with $54 million at the box office

A few quotes from that article:

The third film in Paramount Pictures' low-budget fright franchise, which was No. 1 at the box office, had the biggest debut ever for a horror movie, according to Sunday studio estimates. It broke the previous record part two set a year ago with $40.7 million.
    It's also the biggest opening ever for an October release, topping the $50.35 million Paramount's "Jackass 3D" made last year.
    Much (scary) fun!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I saw it Friday night. These movies don't scare me. They are entertaining and it's interesting how the audience over-reacts. Caught the matinee so it was definitely worth the price!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    From the Cineplex magazine I got when I went to see Paranormal Activity 3:

Stephen King's new book. 11/22/63, about a teacher who goes back in time to prevent the Kennedy assassination, hasn't even been released yet, but director Jonathan Demme has signed on to write, produce and direct the movie adaptation.
    Demme is the director of Philadelphia, The Silence of the Lambs, Something Wild and Rachel Getting Married. Could be good!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I love Something Wild. Melaine (OMG I can't remember her last name at the moment) use to be really pretty then she found the joys of surgery

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    I love Something Wild. Melaine (OMG I can't remember her last name at the moment) use to be really pretty then she found the joys of surgery
    Griffith?
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    Griffith?
    Yes.

vCash
    I want to see In Time today starring Justin Timberlake. I will let you guys know if it was any good. LOL

vCash
    Saw Melancholia last night with Kirsten Dunst, Alexander Skarsgard. Strange movie, but well-acted. It was on On Demand's "Same Day as Theaters" channel, so I said "why not". No way would I go out in the rain to see it, and it cost the same as going to the theater I guess....but it's not something I'd want to see again.

Kirsten should be very, very proud of her tatas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Saw Melancholia last night with Kirsten Dunst, Alexander Skarsgard. Strange movie, but well-acted. It was on On Demand's "Same Day as Theaters" channel, so I said "why not". No way would I go out in the rain to see it, and it cost the same as going to the theater I guess....but it's not something I'd want to see again.

Kirsten should be very, very proud of her tatas.
    I liked Melancholia, but I was expecting to love it. Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg were fabulous. I will say that I didn't have the usual feeling of having my soul ripped out and stomped like I normally do after watching a Lars van Trier film. I do, however, think I might teach this film because I think van Trier is a really important director, but most of my students just hate his work and I found Melancholia to be a little more accessible.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I recently got TCM back on my cable line-up quite unexpectedly.

I have TW Broadcast Basic (supposed to be just the first 25 channels or so), reduced down from Expanded Basic + Digital, which was $127/month together with my Road Runner. I couldn't afford that every month, and I wasn't watching enough TV to justify throwing that kind of $$ away. So I reduced my service down last December.

So... last weekend I was channel surfing and I notice that I'm seeing channels that I haven't been able to watch for almost a year. It was all of the Expanded Basic channels. I hadn't told TW that I wanted EB, and I was anxious to see my next bill, because I was going to call and raise Holy Hell on them if the bill was higher than the $56.99 I've been paying, because that would mean that they had made a change in my service that I had NOT requested or approved.

Well... I just saw my bill for November (and with TW it's pay-in-advance), and it's still $56.99, only I'm getting twice as many channels as before. I wonder, with FIOS coming into my area, if they are upping the number of channels on that BB tier in an attempt to keep customers. It makes my head spin to be getting that many channels for just $9.00/month, and I wonder how long that is going to last. As long as my bill stays where it is I'm not saying shit, because TCM was the ONE channel I regretted losing when I made that change last year.

In the meantime, I am doing the Happy Dance over getting my beloved TCM back. They are the one of the very few channels that hasn't (yet) strayed from the original reason for why that channel started to begin with, unlike AMC, Court TV (what's with the truTV bullshit?!), NatGeo (should be called The Prison Network from what I've seen of their line-up in the past week alone), GameShow Network and TV Land, to name a sorry few. Can't wait to see the horror movie documentary with Steven King tomorrow night - saw the preview for it last night.
    Last edited by Karina1974; 10-30-2011 at 04:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I liked Melancholia, but I was expecting to love it. Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg were fabulous. I will say that I didn't have the usual feeling of having my soul ripped out and stomped like I normally do after watching a Lars van Trier film. I do, however, think I might teach this film because I think van Trier is a really important director, but most of my students just hate his work and I found Melancholia to be a little more accessible.
    I remembered Gainsbourg from The City of Your Final Destination - a surprisingly good film (Laura Linney being in it only helped more). I'm into apocalyptic films like Testament, On The Beach, The Road, etc, so I was expecting something along those lines. I should have guessed with those unusual opening credits that it wouldn't be that kind of film. But out of curiosity, I'll watch another one of his films so I can look for consistencies...

vCash
    I remembered Gainsbourg from The City of Your Final Destination - a surprisingly good film (Laura Linney being in it only helped more). I'm into apocalyptic films like Testament, On The Beach, The Road, etc, so I was expecting something along those lines. I should have guessed with those unusual opening credits that it wouldn't be that kind of film. But out of curiosity, I'll watch another one of his films so I can look for consistencies...
    Dogville is probably the next most accessible besides Melancholia. Dancer in the Dark is great, but extremely bleak. Bjork is fabulous in it though. Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but it's really hard to get through, even with Emily Watson's amazing performance. Antichrist is unwatchable as far as I'm concerned.

vCash
    Dogville is probably the next most accessible besides Melancholia. Dancer in the Dark is great, but extremely bleak. Bjork is fabulous in it though. Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but it's really hard to get through, even with Emily Watson's amazing performance. Antichrist is unwatchable as far as I'm concerned.
    He helmed Breaking the Waves? I have always wanted to see that.

BTW, what is the music played in Melancholia - I have heard it before and cannot think of the name? I know you know.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but it's really hard to get through, even with Emily Watson's amazing performance.
    Yes, it's tough viewing all right, but an astonishingly brave film. Emily Watson's performance is truly remarkable.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    He helmed Breaking the Waves? I have always wanted to see that.

BTW, what is the music played in Melancholia - I have heard it before and cannot think of the name? I know you know.
    The only thing I'm remembering music wise was from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

Breaking the Waves is incredible, but it's also incredibly bleak. I stopped showing it in classes because my students hated it so much.

vCash
    The only thing I'm remembering music wise was from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

Breaking the Waves is incredible, but it's also incredibly bleak. I stopped showing it in classes because my students hated it so much.
    Okay, now I have to see it.

vCash
    Saw In Time. Absolutely loved it. Some reviews said the movie lost its way with unnecessary chase scenes and the like. I couldn't disagree more. This movie is not focused on action, but rather the implications of a society structured around exchange of time.

Now, the obvious metaphor was time standing in for money. But what made the movie powerful was using time to clearly show the life and death consequences of "wealth" (here measured in time) concentrated in so few hands.

Anyhow, I thought it was a great blend of though-provoking narrative, good direction, strong acting, and suitable tension sustained throughout.

vCash
    I had the opposite reaction. I hated it. Boring and stupid. While the idea behind it was interesting and certainly different, the movie cease to be watchable after about 20 minutes and most of what is worth watching was in the trailer.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Saw two under-the-radar films this weekend. The first was Queen to Play (originally titled Joueuse in French). Working class woman learns to play chess -- chess as a metaphor for life. Ok, it's better than that, but still only a mediocre film overall. But Sandrine Bonnaire is wonderful, a perfection in understatement, and watching Kevin Kline act in French is worth the price of admission.

The second was Beautiful Boy. About two parents living the aftermath of a college shooting. One word: heartwrenching. Maria Bello and Michael Sheen are two of my favourite actors, and they were both completely brilliant in this.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast