View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I saw a part of a movie about gymnastics, with Jeff Bridges as the coach. The girls rebel against the (unfair) judges and get 0.0's intentionally. Does anyone know the title of the movie? I would like to rent it.
    Stick It.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice dance View Post

Hey!!!! Vash was just asking a question! No need for that! LOL j/k (couldn't resist)

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Horror movie fans... Ever seen a movie where someone's cell phone did not work? This montage is both brilliant and hilarious!!!

Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I've found rewatching old movies, they often aren't that great compared to movies today
    I go through the TV Guide to see which old movies I might want to watch. Then check out their trailer on youtube...and those original trailers are often. I've passed on watching so many "classics" because the old trailers make them look awful. Wonder why the movie studios don't make new trailers, it would be pretty simple to do...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Watched "Vanishing On 7th Street" and while it was not as bad as I feared given how fast it reach PPV, it could have been better. They never explained how the whole thing got started and neither exactly what was the "terror" that had them all disappearing. The ending was also fearly predictable conisdering the tone of the movie, but still not a total wash out.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I always avoid horror movies. October is the worst month for movies, for people like me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Hey!!!! Vash was just asking a question! No need for that! LOL j/k (couldn't resist)
    Lol!

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Saw The Exorcist. That was better than I remembered. I've found rewatching old movies, they often aren't that great compared to movies today . The Exorcist IMO was one of the few that was still good however many years later.
    The Exorcist is one of the few movies that, almost 40 years later, still scares the bejeezus out of me. Whenever I've rewatched it, I've had to leave a hall or bathroom light on that night when I went to sleep .

The sequels and prequel to it were, unfortunately, awful (much like the movies related to Silence of the Lambs and Jaws).

Speaking of, Jaws is another one I find that still holds up after all these years - ever since seeing it back in the 70s, I've been squeamish about going swimming in the ocean. That's a big improvement over how paranoid I was after the first time I saw it - I fought my mother tooth and nail about taking a bath for about a week because I was convinced a Great White shark was going to come out of the spigot (ridiculous, I know, but the imagination of an 8 year old can be rather vivid)….
    Last edited by Cyn; 10-13-2011 at 02:03 AM.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    When I was young I would have trouble sleeping after watching Jaws. Why? I was sure a shark could come get me, even in my house well inland from the beach. I was even afraid to get down from my bed because I thought one might be waiting under my bed.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

moving right along
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    When I was young I would have trouble sleeping after watching Jaws. Why? I was sure a shark could come get me, even in my house well inland from the beach. I was even afraid to get down from my bed because I thought one might be waiting under my bed.
    knock-knock-knock: LAND SHARK!!!!

Ancient silliness from SNL.

vCash
    I've found rewatching old movies, they often aren't that great compared to movies today
    Depends on the genre. Today's sci-fi is generally (not always, but generally) better done because the special effects are so much better. But 99 times out of 100, yesterday's rom-coms are better. Especially the heroines.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post

Ancient silliness from SNL.
    Candygram

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Candygram
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    The Heiress was on TCM this morning. Started watching it while getting ready for work. It made me a little late for work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Depends on the genre. Today's sci-fi is generally (not always, but generally) better done because the special effects are so much better. But 99 times out of 100, yesterday's rom-coms are better. Especially the heroines.
    Today's scifi is leagues beyond what was made back in the 50's. I prefer the remake of The Blob to the original - for real. But when it comes to melodramas and the like, I prefer some of the older movies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Today's scifi is leagues beyond what was made back in the 50's. I prefer the remake of The Blob to the original - for real. But when it comes to melodramas and the like, I prefer some of the older movies.

Some of the old Sci-fi movies become unintentionally comical due to increades technology. Classics, like Forbidden Planet, still manage to hold up well.
    It's like any category that becomes popular, for every good movie that comes out, dozens of bad copycats are released to muddy the water.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    The Exorcist is one of the few movies that, almost 40 years later, still scares the bejeezus out of me. Whenever I've rewatched it, I've had to leave a hall or bathroom light on that night when I went to sleep .
    I love movies like that. Another one for me was Event Horizon, at least the first few times I saw it.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    I love movies like that. Another one for me was Event Horizon, at least the first few times I saw it.

Last night, the original Carrie was on, and I watched it - twice (thanks, insomnia!! ) after having not seen since I was in high school. The book is probably my favorite one of Stephen King's in the Horror genre, and I forgot just how damn good a job Brian DePalma (director), Sissy Spacek, and Piper Laurie (oh hell, the entire cast) did with such a small budget and the crappy SFX of the mid-70's. DePalma did a great job of taking the ideas, imagery, and imagination of the book and conveying them on the screen.

While it's classified as a horror movie, it's so much more, specifically a Greek Tragedy, complete with the Tragic Hero, that takes the Cinderella/Ugly Duckling Fairy Tales and turns them into an ill-fated tale of misunderstanding and vengeance.

I'll take the likes of this over Paranormal State(s), the Saw movies, and all of the other complete crap that passes for the Horror movies churned out by Hollywood any day of the week.

Now, if only Rosemary's Baby is on TV some time in the next couple of weeks…..

ETA: This morning I watched Some Like It Hot on TCM - that movie never gets old for me, and while I was getting MiniCyn ready for Homecoming, The Goodbye Girl, which I hadn't seen in decades, was on TCM as well - I didn't realize how good that movie was (of course, when I saw it in the theatre, I was all of 10 and didn't "get" half of what it was about ….nice to see it from an adult POV).
    Last edited by Cyn; 10-15-2011 at 12:36 AM.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    ^^Carrie rocked. The only film adaptation of one of King's novels that I liked. The original, not the wretched TV remake.

vCash
    ^^Carrie rocked. The only film adaptation of one of King's novels that I liked. The original, not the wretched TV remake.
    You didn't like The Green Mile? It's not a horror movie, but it is one of my absolute favorite adaptations of Stephen King's work (though it was originally a serial novel before being published as a complete, individual one) and one of my all-time favorite movies (as well as Tom Hank's performances).

Even though it was a novella, I also really like Stand By Me.

As for the remake of Carrie, I didn't even bother. It is supposed to be truer to the book except for (spoilered in case there is anyone here who hasn't read the book, seen the movie(s), or knows the pop culture lore what happens)

Spoiler

I also never bothered with Carrie II: The Rage as I thought another movie based on a "Carrie-like" character similar to the original was stupid and a complete rip-off of the true, one book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    You didn't like The Green Mile? It's not a horror movie, but it is one of my absolute favorite adaptations of Stephen King's work (though it was originally a serial novel before being published as a complete, individual one) and one of my all-time favorite movies (as well as Tom Hank's performances).

Even though it was a novella, I also really like Stand By Me.

As for the remake of Carrie, I didn't even bother. It is supposed to be truer to the book except for (spoilered in case there is anyone here who hasn't read the book, seen the movie(s), or knows the pop culture lore what happens)

Spoiler

I also never bothered with Carrie II: The Rage as I thought another movie based on a "Carrie-like" character similar to the original was stupid and a complete rip-off of the true, one book.
    I'm sorry Cyn. I forgot how much I love The Shawshank Redemption...one of my favorite movies evah....haven't seen TGM, so I can't say. But I hated Christine, Maximum Overdrive, Silver Bullet and was not too fond of either version of The Shining. The Stand wasn't too bad, but it was not memorable.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast