View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I really enjoyed Super 8 - we saw it in the theater this summer. It was loud and exciting, with just enough nostalgia. There were a few boring parts, though.
    Yeah, I definitely think it would have been better on a bigger screen.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    A friend and I went to see 2001: A Space Odyssey yesterday at BAM. There are no words to describe this. The whole thing is one bad 60s acid trip and the pacing is deadly dull. How did this mess ever become a cult classic?
    I first saw it after Star Wars was released around 1980 or so, and it seem so dated. But given when it was released, maybe the audience was on something and that is why it is a classic.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Got some DVD's from some local libraries that have been on my list for quite a while. It ended up I've been doing some serious drama-watchin'! (I need some comedies, sci-fi adventures or musicals, stat!) Again, from best to worst:

The Children's Hour (Shirley MacLaine, Audrey Hepburn, James Garner and Veronica Cartwright - as young Rosalie!) - I'm shocked that this movie got made in 1961, much like I'm shocked that Mae West did what she did in her time. I wonder if there was a backlash against anyone involved with this movie (or the studio)? Or was that issue skirted because

Spoiler

New In Town (Renee Zellweger, Harry Connick, Jr., J. K. Simmons and Frances Conroy) - The only reason I'm rating this movie above The Dying Gaul is because this movie means to be a silly romantic comedy and basically did what it tried to do. Not a great movie by any means, but certainly no classic. One to watch on a rainy afternoon when you have nothing else to do.

P.S. to Harry Connick Jr.: You've been trying the acting thing for two decades now. Maybe it's time to let this one go??

Regeneration (Jonathan Pryce, Jonny Lee Miller, Dougray Scott and Kevin McKidd) - ohmygosh this was a HEAVY movie! It's set in a hospital for soldiers during World War I with emotional issues. HEAVY!!! A good movie, just...HEAVY!
    P.S. Kevin McKidd only has a very tiny role in this movie.

The Dying Gaul (Peter Sarsgaard, Patricia Clarkson and Campbell Scott) - An interesting script, very good acting/great cast, but...wasn't needing a movie at this time about messed up people doing messed up things. A quality movie, I just watched it at the wrong time maybe...

Osama (first movie made in Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban) - A mother has her daughter masquerade as a boy so that the daughter can work and bring money into the family. All the males have been killed and the family is starving, so we see what life is like for the girl as she must make her way amongst males on her own.

Our Lady Of The Assassins (directed by Barbet Schroeder) - An author returns to his hometown to die (although he only looks to be in his 50's) and is introducted to a young man who he begins a relationships with. This young male is a gang member...so trouble might be in their future...

This was another one that was on my list of movies to see for a long time. Sometimes having a movie on your "to see" list is a bad thing because in your mind, you build it up in a way, so it can end up being a bit of a letdown. This one was made very cheaply, on high-def video, I believe. Not recommended really, unless the description of it cries out to you...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The Children's Hour (Shirley MacLaine, Audrey Hepburn, James Garner and Veronica Cartwright - as young Rosalie!) - I'm shocked that this movie got made in 1961, much like I'm shocked that Mae West did what she did in her time. I wonder if there was a backlash against anyone involved with this movie (or the studio)? Or was that issue skirted because

Spoiler

What you mention in the spoiler text probably covers it

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    What you mention in the spoiler text probably covers it

Spoiler

Spoiler

I've actually taught The Children's Hour a few times and my students, of course, hate it. I would love to have been able to see the London stage production earlier this year with Elisabeth Moss and Kiera Knightly.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash

Spoiler

It has aged badly. A bit of a misfire considering the talents involved. Back then, homosexuality was still considered "not the norm" by the overwhelming majority of the world. Even a sophisticate like Lillian Hellman cast an askance eye on it. Audrey and Shirley were good at it. I just cringe at Shirley's self-hating diatribe near the end.
    Last edited by Rex; 11-27-2011 at 06:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post

I've actually taught The Children's Hour a few times and my students, of course, hate it. I would love to have been able to see the London stage production earlier this year with Elisabeth Moss and Kiera Knightly.
    I'm curious; why do they hate it? Subject matter? It's too dated? Something else?

vCash

Spoiler

Ever see the original, These Three from 1936, with Merle Oberon and Miriam Hopkins playing the female teachers?

vCash
    I took my granddaughter to see Arthur Christmas yesterday. She's four and got pretty restless about three-fourths of the way through, but I loved it. I was teary-eyed in the first five minutes.

vCash
    I saw The Descendants this weekend. It was good, but depressing. Not quite as depressing as "Up In the Air," but pretty sad. It seems that Clooney either goes for fun action or very sad stories and characters. He did a good job with it.

I want to see the Muppet movie. Let's hope that one isn't really sad.

vCash
    Watching There's No Business Like Show Business on TCM right now. I know it's kind of cheesy, but I love it. Ethel Merman and Johnny Ray in the same movie makes for a lot of loud singing.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I'm curious; why do they hate it? Subject matter? It's too dated? Something else?
    I'm curious as to why they hate it as well. Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Ever see the original, These Three from 1936, with Merle Oberon and Miriam Hopkins playing the female teachers?
    No, I've never even heard of this movie! Worthy searching for??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Watching There's No Business Like Show Business on TCM right now. I know it's kind of cheesy, but I love it. Ethel Merman and Johnny Ray in the same movie makes for a lot of loud singing.
    Seriously. But I love Donald O'Connor in it. He's one of those actors who makes any movie better just by showing up.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    All the hollering, maybe? I've never yet been able to get all the way through the movie because of all the characters SHRIEKING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS.

(Oops, sorry for the double post.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Monroe got away with a lot, considering the way she sang "Heat Wave". VERY suggestive for it's time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Monroe got away with a lot, considering the way she sang "Heat Wave". VERY suggestive for it's time.
    Not to mention that white dress she wore in her first number.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    New movie thread!!!

Click Here for new thread and vote for which new movies you wish to see.

I'll PM a moderator and ask them to close this thread.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819