View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Saw Ides Of March last night. Very good movie!
    I saw The Ides of March as well. I enjoyed it and was impressed with the acting of everyone in the cast, especially of course Clooney, Gosling, and Hoffman. However, I thought what it had to say about power corrupting people was pretty cliche and there was a sub plot that I thought took the movie in a direction where it didn't need to go.

vCash
    I have yet to see any of these new movies. I have 'Ides of march',. '50-50' and 'Contagion' on my list, but very little time. I did rent a DVD of a very old movie 'Starman' and liked it quite a lot. Jeff Bridges looked considerably younger (27 years do make a difference!), and he portrayed the Starman character really well. I don't know why Karen Allen looks the same no matter which character she is playing. She reminded me a lot of 'Raiders of the lost arc'. She acted well, but she still seemed more Karen Allen than Jenny Hayden to me. The movie was good though. I liked the idea, and the fact that the Starman never really became comfortable on earth. It was not clear to me why he was on earth for just 3 days. I will watch it again to get it answered.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Catching up on my Entertainment Weekly's and was about this upcoming movie:

...the 1983 sci-fi cult novel A Rebel In Time, about a racist who travels back in time to arm Confederate soldiers with machine guns.
    Yuck. Sounds like a horrid project all around.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Last Wednesday night, a friend and I went to see an advance screening of Real Steel, the movie with Hugh Jackman and the boxing robots, and I am stunned to report that it's a really great movie! Didn't think I would enjoy the boxing aspect of it but at its core the movie is really about a father and son connecting after years of being apart. The effects and boxing are awesome, we all really did cheer at different parts, but the father/son stuff and emotional aspects of the story are what make this movie so wonderful. Don't let the promos tell you otherwise...it's more than just a robot boxing movie! Definitely two thumbs up from me. I saw some preliminary numbers earlier tonight and apparently it did very well at the box office for it's opening weekend which makes me very happy!

I also just saw Soul Surfer for the first time tonight (we showed it for my youth group) and it's such a wonderful movie. Great story and the fact that it's all about a real girl and her story makes it even better. Definitely recommend that one too.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    Last Wednesday night, a friend and I went to see an advance screening of Real Steel, the movie with Hugh Jackman and the boxing robots, and I am stunned to report that it's a really great movie! Didn't think I would enjoy the boxing aspect of it but at its core the movie is really about a father and son connecting after years of being apart. The effects and boxing are awesome, we all really did cheer at different parts, but the father/son stuff and emotional aspects of the story are what make this movie so wonderful. Don't let the promos tell you otherwise...it's more than just a robot boxing movie! Definitely two thumbs up from me. I saw some preliminary numbers earlier tonight and apparently it did very well at the box office for it's opening weekend which makes me very happy!
    My problem is that everytime I see the trailer for Real Steel I keep called it Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots the movie and making Wolverine jokes. I think I may need to find other people to go to movies with.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    My problem is that everytime I see the trailer for Real Steel I keep called it Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots the movie and making Wolverine jokes. I think I may need to find other people to go to movies with.
    My friend called it that too! One of the robots even looks like a Rock Em Sock Em one, LOL She also enjoyed it though so don't let the promos steer you away if you want to see it. He's not Wolverine at all so you should be able to get past that pretty quick!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Hope this isn't a duplication but I couldn't read through all 11 pages. I got through 4 and said "what the hell..."

I have been seeing previews on TV for yet another production of "The Three Musketeers." It looks beautiful-don't know how it will be or if they'll screw the story up, as usual, but visually, it looks wonderful. Good cast, too. Nice to see a d'Artagnan who actually looks 17, although Michael York was perfect in the old 1973 edition. The 1990's version was atrocious.

"Musketeers" is one of my favorite books of all time, and if this is a good version of the story and sticks even halfway to what Dumas wrote, I'll love it.

Edited...ok, I saw two messages mentioning this. At least somebody besides me wants to see it. I think Orlando Bloom will be perfect as the Duke of Buckingham....)

vCash
    TCM alert for anyone who likes Ray Milland and ghost stories - The Uninvited is on tonight at 9:15 ET.

Afterlife
    vCash
    My friend called it that too! One of the robots even looks like a Rock Em Sock Em one, LOL She also enjoyed it though so don't let the promos steer you away if you want to see it. He's not Wolverine at all so you should be able to get past that pretty quick!
    It honestly has nothing to do with the character he's playing. My friends think it would look cooler if it was Wolverine beating up robots. I think they are just trying to find a way to burn the atrocity that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine out of their heads.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Catching up on my Entertainment Weekly's and was about this upcoming movie:

Yuck. Sounds like a horrid project all around.
    Who wrote this? The same guy who wrote The Turner Diaries?

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    It honestly has nothing to do with the character he's playing. My friends think it would look cooler if it was Wolverine beating up robots. I think they are just trying to find a way to burn the atrocity that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine out of their heads.
    LOL! Glad I never saw that movie if it was that bad!

Afterlife
    vCash
    LOL! Glad I never saw that movie if it was that bad!
    It was brutal. Even worse considering I ended up seeing it twice in one day. It's worse when you're a fan of the comics. It pretty much butchered the whole thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    TCM alert for anyone who likes Ray Milland and ghost stories - The Uninvited is on tonight at 9:15 ET.
    Love that movie. Beautiful music, too--Stella by Starlight.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Who wrote this? The same guy who wrote The Turner Diaries?
    In Entertainment Weekly, it says that Jeff Goldsmith is adapting the script, but it's based on a novel by Harry Harrison. Wikipedia says of the original novel...

It centers around a racist colonel, Wesley McCulloch and his black pursuer, Troy Harmon.

Before long, Harmon comes to the conclusion McCulloch has used a secret experimental time machine to try and change the outcome of the American Civil War, giving victory to the Confederacy through the introduction of the easily produced Sten Gun. Harmon determines he must follow McCulloch into the past to bring justice. During the ensuing chase, Harmon discovers first-hand the prejudices of the people at the time.
    This sounds very different from the short blurb in EW in that Harmon, not McCulloch is the hero. Whew. Still a gross idea for a story, though...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    ^^^Maybe they can make something decent out of it? Nahhhh.

vCash
    Watched one of my favorite old movies this weekend...Portrait Of Jennie. Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten! Once you buy into the premise of the film, it is a haunting film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Watched one of my favorite old movies this weekend...Portrait Of Jennie. Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten! Once you buy into the premise of the film, it is a haunting film.
    Ahhhh, Jennifer....acting lessons from Our Lady of The Fluttery Mannerisms, but cheekbones that could cut glass .

vCash
    Saw the remake of Footloose a couple of days ago. Loved it! It is pretty much a scene-by-scene remake of the original.

vCash
    Saw a bunch of stuff--all low-brow

Memoirs of a Geisha was interesting. Better in some respects than I thought, but worse in others. Was visually appealing though.

Watched Charley. That was way worse than I remember. I was terribly disappointed.

Saw The Exorcist. That was better than I remembered. I've found rewatching old movies, they often aren't that great compared to movies today . The Exorcist IMO was one of the few that was still good however many years later.

Watched a bunch of sci-fi flicks. The Core was panned, but I liked it well enough. Obviously unrealistic in terms of being able to travel to the core of the earth and back in a ship that could withstand 9,000 degree temperatures, but it still worked for me.

District 9 was very different than I expected. It's an alien movie shot in South Africa where aliens simply become the latest immigrant group, and are systematically discriminated against in apartheid fashion. The movie is shot like a documentary with a lot of hand-held camera work, so it has a Cloverfield feel to it. It's not an adrenaline rush kind of movie, but it does make you think. If you compare it to The Fly, it's interesting that the lead character loses his humanity as he transforms into another species in The Fly, while in District 9 he gains his humanity. Again, it's rather dispassionate (like Contagion), but tries to examine what having aliens would look like realistically if they were to become part of the earth's population.

Battle: Los Angeles also got mixed reviews, but I quite liked it. Here the aliens are clearly hostile, but like District 9, the movie tries to show how a battle with aliens would look like with today's technology. So the action scenes aren't other worldly or one big CGI-fest. I thought the military unit followed throughout was compelling without being overly sentimental. It is definitely a military movie though (sans gore), so if you don't like seeing military patriotism in the course of battle, this may not be for you. Overall, I don't really get the negative reviews for this movie.

Saw Running Man again. Was disappointing (not as good as I remembered).

Oh yeah, and I saw Babylon 5 sequel. Very low budget. Bit disappointing, but reminiscent of the old Twilight Zone series that were big on dialogue and plot twists arising out of that. Since it touched on theological questions, it was okay. But I suspect for others it would be rather boring.

Not that there are many Babylon 5 fans to begin with

vCash
    I saw a part of a movie about gymnastics, with Jeff Bridges as the coach. The girls rebel against the (unfair) judges and get 0.0's intentionally. Does anyone know the title of the movie? I would like to rent it.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast