View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Merchant-Ivory marathon on TCM beginning at 7:00 p.m. central tonight. They'll be showing four movies: Remains of the Day, Howards End, Room With a View, and Maurice.
    Room is one of my all time favorite movies. Gosh, whatever happened to Julian Sand's career?

vCash
    Howard's End just started.

The opening with Vanessa Redgrave's dress dragging through the grass
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Room is one of my all time favorite movies. Gosh, whatever happened to Julian Sand's career?
    I wondered about that too--from leading man to sci fi baddie of the week.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just watched a really good documentary available at youtube to watch for free!

The Listening Project (2008)

I don't think I even knew about this movie, but was searching for something with a similar title and stumbled upon this, which is a topic which really interests me. Here's the blurb about the movie in the youtube description:

"What does the world think of America?"

To find out, they (a group of various Americans) traveled to fourteen countries around the globe, listening to people from all walks of life as they shared their views.
    If this sounds even remotely interesting to you, I definitely encourage you to check it out.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Saw Contagion tonight, and I highly recommend it. While it's not as good as Traffic, I do think the execution of interweaving and overlapping storylines was superior. And I enjoyed seeing Gwenyth Paltrow dying a horrible death--one, because she's annoying and two because she did a really great job. It would have been really easy for her to overact, but she didn't. The opening sequence in the movie sets the tone so well. What brings everyone together is this horrible virus, but the story is really about communication, the good, the bad, and everything in between. Jennifer Ehle was fabulous, as was the entire cast. It's nice to see a well-done movie.

I only have a few minor criticisms--the pacing at times was a bit off. The movie was only an hour and forty minutes, and the end was abrupt. I could have easily sat down for another 15 minutes to have some of the story lines fleshed out a little bit. The Marion Cottilliard part was good because Marion Cottilliard is great, but it was unnecessary. They could have integrated the same idea with one of the other plotlines. She's set up to be a major thread, and then we don't see her for an hour, and when we do, it's all very rushed. They made Kate Winslet look so incredibly dowdy for no reason--roots for miles, and not the ombre kind, and for some reason, they put her in these dull brown/hazel contacts. When she got sick, honestly, there wasn't that much difference.

Spoiler

"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    For fans of old Hollywood musicals, Kismet is starting on TCM now.

vCash
    I find Ann Blyth annoying in everything except Mildred Pierce.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I find Ann Blyth annoying in everything except Mildred Pierce.
    I would agree with that.

vCash
    She was okay in The Helen Morgan Story, but those Technicolor musicals were mad sappy to me.

But she was singularly pretty, I'll give her that.

vCash
    Rex, can you tell me more about why you didn't like Pulp Fiction? You can put in spoilers if you wish. I've never seen it, in fact I've never seen a Quentin Tarantino film (apart from stumbling across Kill Bill on TV, and I couldn't turn it off fast enough) but Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs are constantly being recommended to me. You're probably the first person I've encountered who has expressed dislike for PF so I'm really interested hear the opinion of someone who doesn't think it's genius.

I wouldn't say I'm a film buff but I do watch loads of films and I'm constantly on the lookout for good movies I haven't seen. I almost always give cult classics a try, especially highly rated ones like Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs, and I feel like my film vocabulary is incomplete without having seen them if that makes sense. But somehow I just can't bring myself to watch (same with A Clockwork Orange). I get *really* squicked out by intense violence and gore and I hate disturbing scenes that are put in just for shock value. The few seconds of Kill Bill I saw involved Uma Thurman stepping on an eyeball and I'm not sure I could handle a full out Tarantino film. And yet people keep assuring me I'll love them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Rex, can you tell me more about why you didn't like Pulp Fiction? I get *really* squicked out by intense violence and gore and I hate disturbing scenes that are put in just for shock value.
    I'd be curious to read that as well. I bought the DVD after getting the soundtrack (which is kick ASS BTW and get played in the car on a regular basis), but I can't bring myself to watch it for the same reasons you haven't. Would love to know of any gore scenes so I can just fast-forward through them.

vCash
    Rex, can you tell me more about why you didn't like Pulp Fiction? You can put in spoilers if you wish. I've never seen it, in fact I've never seen a Quentin Tarantino film (apart from stumbling across Kill Bill on TV, and I couldn't turn it off fast enough) but Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs are constantly being recommended to me. You're probably the first person I've encountered who has expressed dislike for PF so I'm really interested hear the opinion of someone who doesn't think it's genius.

I wouldn't say I'm a film buff but I do watch loads of films and I'm constantly on the lookout for good movies I haven't seen. I almost always give cult classics a try, especially highly rated ones like Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs, and I feel like my film vocabulary is incomplete without having seen them if that makes sense. But somehow I just can't bring myself to watch (same with A Clockwork Orange). I get *really* squicked out by intense violence and gore and I hate disturbing scenes that are put in just for shock value. The few seconds of Kill Bill I saw involved Uma Thurman stepping on an eyeball and I'm not sure I could handle a full out Tarantino film. And yet people keep assuring me I'll love them
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I'd be curious to read that as well. I bought the DVD after getting the soundtrack (which is kick ASS BTW and get played in the car on a regular basis), but I can't bring myself to watch it for the same reasons you haven't. Would love to know of any gore scenes so I can just fast-forward through them.
    I found the film needlessly, pretentiously violent, racist and misanthropic. It's not hip or cool to accidentally shoot someone to elicit laughs, or to cheerfully have one of the white characters, Tarantino himself, spout off the "n" word (and I don't care how many black people he has heard use the word, it DON'T make it right). And the rape of the black gangster by the two racist hillbillies was gross - mainly because of the context he used it in - to elicit shock and laughs - not cool. I almost got up and left, but the people I was with persuaded me to stay. And I don't get why the film got an Oscar for its screenplay either - I must have missed something there too. The whole movie was hard to follow.

I also found Resevoir Dogs and From Dusk Till Dawn unwatchable, although not as offensive as Pulp Fiction. I didn't mind Jackie Brown so much, but it was hardly the masterpiece critics were making out to be.

Now, I've giggled at the scene in The Color Purple where Celie gets crowned by the rock that Harpo throws at her, and at Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, when one the drag queens gets knocked out by a beer can. There have been a couple of films with scenes of unexpected violence and I've elicited nervous laughter. But I think the violence in Pulp Fiction was excessive, like an oversalted dish.

vCash
    Rex, my thoughts mirror your own - about all the above.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Work continues on cleaning up my DVR. I'm almost done Cup of Russia! These movies, too (from best to worst):

Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I'm putting this one highest mainly because of Russell Brand. I have not seem him in a lot of things, so I was delighted by his presence in this movie. At times, he is WAY out there, yet he is also understated at times, which makes him so watchable and appealing. The script was quite good, many cliches we see so often were absent. The only negative was

Spoiler

Outlander (2008), starring Jim Caviezel (), John Hurt and Ron Perlman. I saw this preview on a DVD a while back and thought, "How come I never heard of this movie??" But I liked the preview and saw that it was airing on the Space Network last night, so was happy to tune in. I give it a thumbs up, but some of the early special effects had me thinking, "uh-oh..." But later scenes were better. Basically this movie is about some other-worlders crashing on earth in the 700's or so...and bringing something with them...something MEAN!

Rape of Europa, 2006 documentary about the theft of art in and around Europe during World War II. Definitely worth watching if you like documentaries or the art world. My only complaint is that at times there seemed to be an implication that some art has more value than human life...

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) - Did Cary Grant ever look dreamier? Grant was 40 when this movie was released, I had guessed he would have been 30, give or take a few years. Oh right, the movie. Got off to a great start, but the script dragged as time went on...in spite of the cast working their BUTTS off, giving it everything they had. Don't think I've ever seen a cast working so hard to elevate the material! A mild thumbs up, mainly to ogle Grant (in spite of his over-the-top mugging).

Youngblood (1986) with Rob Lowe - also starring Patrick Swayze, Fionnula Flanagan as a landlady seductress and Keanu Reeves in a bit part (two lines)?? I admit, I only recorded this to ogle a young Rob Lowe (even though he was too pretty for me...for the most part)! The movie is awful, for so many reasons. Especially the costume department, who had Lowe in khaki dress pants instead of tight Levi's for the first half of the movie!!!!!

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (2008 TV Movie with Dougray Scott and Tom Skerritt). Pretty bad. Quite shocking that this is what they ended up with from a classic novel. Lots of wandering, walking around, searching...I was able to scan through half of this movie and not miss anything. Took about 45 minutes to watch a 90 minute program! 45 minutes I'll never get back!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I also hated Pulp Fiction. In fact, I've hated every single one of his movies except for Resevoir Dogs, which I found mildly tolerable. I hated it because it's badly done pretentious crap where supposedly talking about a Big Mac in France is natural speech and shows characterization.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Arsenic and Old Lace One of my favourite movies ever! Hilarious, goofy, just fantastic all around. I love it for a bit of light Halloween fare.

vCash
    Arsenic and Old Lace One of my favourite movies ever! Hilarious, goofy, just fantastic all around. I love it for a bit of light Halloween fare.
    I will look at anything with Cary in it just to look at his face....it was a great face.

vCash
    I don't mind Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs but I found the dialogue to be annoying. Kill Bill 1 was fantastic but Kill Bill 2 suffered from the same problems, the dialogue. I haven't seen his later films, not because I don't want to just haven't gotten round to it.

Jackie Brown though I absolutely love. I'm a huge fan of blaxploitation films anyway and Tarantino perfectly captures the era but updates it to the time. Keeps the grittiness too. Just a lovely film. Some of the dialogue gets a bit too much but it does work in this film.

vCash
    A local station played "Mr. Lucky" last night... I'd forgotten what a terrific plot it has! I ALWAYS lurve me some Cary Grant (he's my all-time favorite).

-Bridget

vCash
    Wonderful movie. "Just fight. Fight, fight, fight. I don't care." Cary could do ANYTHING -- comedy, drama, didn't matter. I love versatile actors.

Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    A local station played "Mr. Lucky" last night... I'd forgotten what a terrific plot it has! I ALWAYS lurve me some Cary Grant (he's my all-time favorite).

-Bridget
    I've got that on tape somewhere -- really need to dig it out and watch it!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast