Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    They must've had a lot of flack about the newsfeed - I see now you can choose to see "most recent first," ie the old way.

vCash
    I have just had the nicest facebook experience.

A group of us who all went to Primary School together, including my sisters, have been playing "identify the kids" from our old school photos. It was a small school with about 30 kids and the photos are about from 35 years ago. So we are all having a great time trying to work out who was who and reminiscing about the old days. A reunion is due soon I think.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Can someone help me search better on facebook please. I'm not looking for friends. I'm looking for businesses etc. For example, I might want to find a list of Classical Radio Stations that have facebook pages. Whenever I search under Classical Radio or any combination of terms, I always get one particular site - never a list. How do I search better?

Also - Does anyone use Facebook for their business? I have a small online business and need to set up an account. I'd like to hear others experiences before I go ahead.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't know if anyone can help you. Facebook has an AWFUL search feature and as far as I can tell they have never even tried to make it better.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    When you start typing in the search bar, a list of 7 options should appear and at the bottom a line should say "see more results for [whatever you typed]" - click on that. Never hit the "enter" key or it will take you to the first option.
    Does that help?

vCash
    Apparently, there is a new service with some airlines, via Facebook. You can go to Facebook and log into an airline page that will give you "bios" of the other passengers on the plane, so that you can select who you want to sit next to. Based on: photos, person's size , ethnicity , whether or not they like to talk/sleep, do they snore. Not sure if this is completely an opt in for Facebook. I can't imagine that the airlines can post your info without permission.

Not only do I think this is repugnant, it is dangerous. Why not let the whole world know you're going away and your home will be empty.

What do others think about this?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    If it's the KLM program you are referring to, it's optional, so only allows other passengers access to your FB and LinkedIn profiles if you say so, and they agree too. I don't know anyone who includes their size and whether they snore on their FB and LinkedIn profiles.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dutch-airli...2#.Tvs5LPLd5Bk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine82 View Post
    When you start typing in the search bar, a list of 7 options should appear and at the bottom a line should say "see more results for [whatever you typed]" - click on that. Never hit the "enter" key or it will take you to the first option.
    Does that help?
    Thank you. That does help. I still need to do a lot of searching but at least it gives me more options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    If it's the KLM program you are referring to, it's optional, so only allows other passengers access to your FB and LinkedIn profiles if you say so, and they agree too. I don't know anyone who includes their size and whether they snore on their FB and LinkedIn profiles.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dutch-airli...2#.Tvs5LPLd5Bk
    I think size refers more to how big the person is, judging from their photo, not their clothing size . But, I can see where I didn't make that clear. The snoring part is supposed to go in the post re: the flight that the person is going on. From what I heard (on the radio), the "protocol" is something like this: I am going to be on XYZ flight, on XYZ day, at XYZ time. I will be alone/with XYZ. I enjoy talking or I like to sleep (don't bother me). I snore/don't snore. It is so that "like persons" can chose to sit together. This way chatty Cathy doesn't sit next to sleepy Susan. I just think it's going to go beyond that into a profiling thing, which would be awful.

I just think it's foolish, if nothing else. Why would anyone publish that they are going away? Why not just invite robbers to come to your house !

KLM is doing it, but some other airlines are following suit. I believe that Delta is doing it and others are preparing to.

vCash
    Aguada, United States as my posting location? Note to Facebook, last I checked Puerto Rico wasn't a State.

vCash
    Are robbers really trolling facebook for people to rob? I'm skeptical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Yeah, I am, too.

And this airline thing is completely voluntary. If the idea freaks you out, don't participate.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I just think it's foolish, if nothing else. Why would anyone publish that they are going away? Why not just invite robbers to come to your house !
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Yeah, I am, too.

And this airline thing is completely voluntary. If the idea freaks you out, don't participate.
    Go back a few pages on this thread - we already discussed the issue of "I'll get robbed."

In the case of the KLM program, you're only going to be vulnerable if you profile includes "and my whole family is coming with me, so no one will be in the house, and here's my address."

So let's think this through. The person that sees that information is also travelling (and has let people know that too), so they'd have to pass on the info to someone else. That person would then have to figure out the home address of the first person - sometimes that's easy if the name is unusual or they are from a small town, but usually it's not. Then, once you find the house, assuming you know how long the resident will be away, you take the chance that there might be someone else living there, or staying at the house to look after it, or neighbours might be also watching it. There could easily be an alarm system, and who's to say the house has anything worth stealing?

As someone said upthread, there are far easier ways to identify targets for theft than Facebook.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Our newspaper used to publish a social column of who was visiting and who was travelling. No one seemed to worry about the potential uses of this information, and property crimes rates were not much different than they are now.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The new timeline feature on facebook is awful. I hate it. I hope the home page never ever looks like that. It makes me never want to visit other people's pages.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    As someone said upthread, there are far easier ways to identify targets for theft than Facebook.
    I still don't think it's a good idea to publish dates that you will be away. It is too easy for the wrong people to get that information. You don't know who may be reading these pages. For that matter, I don't think it's a good idea to post dates that you will be away on any message boards either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    The new timeline feature on facebook is awful. I hate it. I hope the home page never ever looks like that. It makes me never want to visit other people's pages.
    I agree. I totally dislike it! We were supposed to all get them these days but it doesn't look they are ready for it(and I'm happy because I don't want to get it!)

I went to some friend's page who have it and I completely dislike it. The organization of things is really bad.

I hope they will get us the choice to add it or not. I don't have it yet(and I don't want to). The new date release was today but I still have the last version.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So let's think this through. The person that sees that information is also travelling (and has let people know that too), so they'd have to pass on the info to someone else. That person would then have to figure out the home address of the first person - sometimes that's easy if the name is unusual or they are from a small town, but usually it's not. Then, once you find the house, assuming you know how long the resident will be away, you take the chance that there might be someone else living there, or staying at the house to look after it, or neighbours might be also watching it. There could easily be an alarm system, and who's to say the house has anything worth stealing?

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I think it makes Facebook look more like a MySpace page. I never belonged to MySpace, because I HATED the look of it. The FB timeline version is a lot cleaner but it's still looks cluttered. I only have one friend using it - or at least only one friend whose page i've visited recently, but I admit since the last redesign I almost never go to peoples' pages or scroll down to see posts. I post things and read any replies I might get, and I play Garden of Time. Might respond to someone else's post if it's on the top of my list when I log in.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I'm going to the grocery store in case anyone wants to rob my house. You'll need to figure out what town I'm in, get here, find my address and hope that the neighbors in our four-plex don't notice you. At least two of them are home and the landlady next door knows not only us, but the other people allowed to have keys. You have about 20 minutes.

Good luck.

Seriously, old-fashioned casing of a house is going to be a much more efficient way of robbing people than finding info online on FB or a forum.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast