Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The new timelines will be "given" to everyone on January 14th.

vCash

Facebook Making "Timeline" Mandatory

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...185456598.html

Facebook is the virtual home to more than 800 million active users, so any change to how the network operates is a big deal. And nothing could be bigger for the social hotspot than completely revamping everyone's front-facing profile page, and that is exactly what is happening today. Starting this morning, the new Timeline feature — that up until now has been an optional switch — is now mandatory.

The Timeline differs from the default profile pages we know and love in several ways. Now, rather than showcasing only your most recent posts, your personal front page can be scrolled back months or years at a time. Most importantly, this change can offer visitors a glimpse at your entire social networking past, all the way back to the day that you joined up. The revamp can be both a blessing and a curse for seasoned social networkers, as it can produce a bit of pleasant nostalgia, but also drag up some of your less proud public moments.

Left untouched, your Timeline may remind of you of breakups, job troubles, or even a few unfortunate party photos that you have long since buried. Depending on your settings, these black marks on your digital past could allow new followers — including friends or business associates — to see a side of you that was better kept tucked away.
    Epic. Fail. I don't like it simply because the page under Timeline has such a messy, cluttered feel to it that navigating a profile that is set in Timeline is a nightmare. I, for one, much prefer the old, vertical scrolling, style. It's a lot simpler and easier to read.

The only +1 I can give to Timeline is the "cover" photo feature. Other than that, it's a mess.

vCash
    Oh, crap. I hate Timeline.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    When does this happen. It says "starting this morning" but I still have my old facebook page.

vCash
    I despise the "timeline" arrangement, and don't even try to read it on those "friends" who've already changed over. It's MSNBC "fixing" its pages from easy to navigate to hoarder's heaven all over again.

Is there an alternative to Facebook? Because, I'm ready to boot it. Besides the change du jour's inane design, it also seems to yet another stab at removing all possible privacy alternatives.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Timeline sucks. I don't know one person who likes it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Because, I'm ready to boot it. Besides the change du jour's inane design, it also seems to yet another stab at removing all possible privacy alternatives.
    I don't think so. I know of one person who already has Timeline on her page, who has her profile on complete "lock down" in regards to those people not on her Friends list.

Of course, she also has extensive computer experience going back almost 30 years, and made a name for herself as one of the pioneers in the website design business, so I would expect her to be able to figure these things out.

vCash
    Is there an alternative to Facebook?
    Google+ ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    When does this happen. It says "starting this morning" but I still have my old facebook page.
    I just changed my profile over. You have 7 days to tweak your profile (remove stuff you don't want people to read again ) before your profile goes "live" under Timeline. My posts are really generic (I save my ranting and raving for my private blog), so I went right ahead and "published" my profile.

vCash
    My FB page is still the same. but, I did notice that FB was very slow to load today.

vCash
    Is there an alternative to Facebook?
    Personal visits, letters, phone calls, and e-mail.

vCash
    I don't mind timeline, but I wish the cover photo wasn't landscape. I have exactly one picture that looks good on there.

vCash
    I finally got on facebook, and immediately sent friend requests to many of the people I know, and got some friend requests. I found the option to hide my DOB and gender. I have made my information accessible only to friends. So I don't think I will get ads, but I am really interested in looking for some people I went to school with. I found at least one of them on facebook.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    everyone gets ads.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I don't mind timeline, but I wish the cover photo wasn't landscape. I have exactly one picture that looks good on there.
    As if all of your pictures aren't completely gorgeous!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I just changed my profile over. You have 7 days to tweak your profile (remove stuff you don't want people to read again ) before your profile goes "live" under Timeline. My posts are really generic (I save my ranting and raving for my private blog), so I went right ahead and "published" my profile.
    I am a newcomer to facebook and very ignorant, so please don't mind my question.

Does this mean after 7 days your profile is frozen and you can never change it, or are you talking about a profile yet to be saved? If it's the former, I better make changes to mine very soon. I was thinking that I could go on adding information about my interests, education, etc. for a long time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    As if all of your pictures aren't completely gorgeous!

But what I meant was I only have one that's landscapey-ish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Personal visits, letters, phone calls, and e-mail.
    Ah, yes, old school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post

But what I meant was I only have one that's landscapey-ish.
    You're gonna need to gain a LOT of weight, pwetty, to fill that space.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am a newcomer to facebook and very ignorant, so please don't mind my question.

Does this mean after 7 days your profile is frozen and you can never change it, or are you talking about a profile yet to be saved? If it's the former, I better make changes to mine very soon. I was thinking that I could go on adding information about my interests, education, etc. for a long time.
    I think Karina means that you only have a few days to delete all the horrid stuff from your past that you want erased from facebook's memory. However, people like us who have lived exemplary lives, need not worry as we have nothing shameful in our facebook histories to be concerned about.

As for changes in the future (meaning additions), yes, you will be able to add whatever you want. (It's just the deleting that sounds like will not be possible.)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast