Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Which goes back to what Prancer said. And why should your friend have known better? Unless he should've made sure his son's FB had secured privacy settings, then, yeah, he should've known better with that. Otherwise, it is a bit on the the son for not securing his FB page.

Re. FB overriding privacy settings, so far as I know, they don't. Through the recent changes, I haven't had to update my privacy settings, except for any new ones they might have implemented.
    And, again going back to what Prancer said, if the kid was whining on FB, he was likely whining in person as well, so FB may not have been the only source of info. Not too mention that many people leave home for holidays. It's a safe bet that you can find empty homes at that time of year.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    While you might have listed a fake location, most people screw up in their posts and indicate that they live in New Rochelle, NY (for example.) Anywho.com can usually help anyone look up the address once they know your name.
    Maybe they do, but if you have even the lightest level of protection on their Facebook page, no one can read those posts except people on your Friends list anyway, and those people usually already know where you live.

Now you might, say, play games on Facebook that require you to add people, and then not every Friend is actually a friend--but that's easy to take care of, too.

Never once have I had a problem with Facebook suddenly deleting or overriding my privacy settings, and I've been on Facebook since 2004 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    And, again going back to what Prancer said, if the kid was whining on FB, he was likely whining in person as well
    Yup. The first time I heard the "it's kids your kids know" from a cop here was way back when Facebook was restricted to people with .edu addresses and high school students weren't allowed to join. Word gets around. High school kids gossip, just like everyone else. It might be Facebook one time, but something overheard in the cafeteria another. I don't see one as more threatening than the other.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Can I ask a technical question? When Facebook had its recent updates, I was just getting the same 5-7 status updates over and over again in my Newsfeed. My sister suggested I move my friends into my Close Friends folder, and that would effectively recreate the old Newsfeed.

I did that, but ever since then Notifications pop up about anything and everything, even if a friend is commenting on a non-friend's photo. Every time I open Facebook up, I see I have like 98 Notifications, which is ridiculous. I unchecked everything I could find under my Account settings, to no avail. Anyone know how I can fix this??
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I did that, but ever since then Notifications pop up about anything and everything, even if a friend is commenting on a non-friend's photo. Every time I open Facebook up, I see I have like 98 Notifications, which is ridiculous. I unchecked everything I could find under my Account settings, to no avail. Anyone know how I can fix this??
    Someone else may know a better way, but I had to go to each person's page, click on Subscribed and then select what I wanted to subscribe to for that person.

It wasn't too bad for me, though, because it was just a few people who were really clogging up my newsfeed, and I did it as I went along. I set a lot of people to status updates only and that cut way down on the notifications.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Can I ask a technical question? When Facebook had its recent updates, I was just getting the same 5-7 status updates over and over again in my Newsfeed. My sister suggested I move my friends into my Close Friends folder, and that would effectively recreate the old Newsfeed.

I emptied the "close friends" folder and the endless notifications of other people's activities stopped. I have my own "real friends" list that I had set prior to the change anyway.

vCash
    Thanks Prancer and PDilemma! I'll try Prancer's suggestion first, and if that doesn't work then I'll just empty the Close Friends list as PDilemma suggested.

I was perfectly happy with Facebook before they made the changes. Seems like every FB "upgrade" just creates a bunch of work for me. Gah!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Ok, follow-up question: If I uncheck all the stuff under Subscribe for each friend, I will still be notified if the person comments on my stuff, right? (I just don't need to know if they commented on some other random person's stuff!)

vCash
    Yes. I don't subscribe to anyone and have my settings set for "friends only". I reveive notifications of comments and 'likes' on my posts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    That's not true - on Facebook, you're supposed to use your real name.
    Yes, it is true. You don't want the world to know your real name? Don't put it on FB. I have my real name on FB but I am not searchable. I've sat next to people while we've both unsecured our settings to add each other - otherwise it's impossible to see anything - I just don't come up.

Really, it's very easy to choose what to share and what not to. It's asks for information, you choose what to give. Plenty of website forms ask for real names; unless they're banking related (the name on your credit card, for example), they don't require them and don't check.

FB doesn't cause people to get robbed. Someone can choose to share their status as they're going out and going to home alone, or they can choose not to. They can also choose who can see their status (and anything else).

FB, like everything else on the internet, is about wise choices. Don't want to get fired from a job? Don't post bad remarks about your job or boozy photos etc. Of course, this doesn't guarantee you're not going to get fired, (because people who post inappropriate work photos usually will get what is coming anyway), people who post about tiny bits of their day also tell people in other ways etc.

It really is simple IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Yes. I don't subscribe to anyone and have my settings set for "friends only". I reveive notifications of comments and 'likes' on my posts.
    Thank you!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    FB, like everything else on the internet, is about wise choices. Don't want to get fired from a job? Don't post bad remarks about your job or boozy photos etc. Of course, this doesn't guarantee you're not going to get fired, (because people who post inappropriate work photos usually will get what is coming anyway), people who post about tiny bits of their day also tell people in other ways etc.

It really is simple IMO.
    This. I don't treat Facebook as a personal diary to pour out all of my life frustrations and deep dark secrets and other super-personal information. It's just a fun way to connect with people. Just like I'm careful about the people in whom I confide in real life, I'm very careful about what I put on FB because one of my "friends" could blab my personal information to the wrong people, irrespective of FB's privacy settings.

vCash
    Like Angelskates, I am unsearchable. Several FSUers could attest to that . I was unsearchable since 2009. Most of my information is set to Only Me or select people only. I also have several individuals set to block any contact.
    I have 23 first cousins on my mother's side. We range from age 60 to 31. We live all over the country. We have parents who don't talk to each other. If we the cousins wanted to stay in touch it was best done by facebook. Plus we get to see pictures - grandchildren for some of us and children for others.
    I have 7 first cousins on my dad's side from age 58 to 40. I keep hoping that we can connect through facebook. I am friends with 2 of them, 2 I keep in touch through my aunt and the other 3 are "lost" since my aunt quit talking to my dad 12 years ago.
    As for someone robbing your house while you are gone, there are easier ways to know if you are gone than go through tedious posts on vacations, etc.

vCash
    Sorry to be a bother, but I un-subscribed all of my friends and I'm still getting a million ridiculous notifications: "Joe Schmoe commented on some non-friend's status update." WTF? (And why would Facebook think I'd want to see that anyway??) What am I doing wrong?

vCash
    It took mine awhile to catch up with what I'd programmed. Like three days. But it will all come together.

vCash
    Oh, okay, thank you. I'll sit tight and exercise some patience, for once!

vCash
    You will get notifications of other's comments if you commented on someone else's post.

vCash
    ^ Thanks Sparks - that I'm okay with. What I don't want is a notification every time a friend updates his/her status or adds a link to his/her Wall. To me, that's major overkill.

vCash
    Wow, you might want to check your account settings. The comment notifications only occur after I've commented on a topic- otherwise, it's only friend requests, confirmations, messages, etc.

vCash
    Thanks--I'm hoping that unsubscribing my friends will work, but if not I'll be back to : for sure!

vCash
    Question: I just tried to copy from a friend's FB a little picture quiz to my account. When I did, it doesn't show the picture but the link. How do I post the picture readily so that people who visit don't have to click on the link I am in no teknic so please advise.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    A friend of mine is complaining that FB is sharing her TripAdvisor reviews - I can't see them on her page and I've never seen that on the news feed - any ideas on what she might be talking about? She's totally outraged about it for some reason.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast