Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Can people see the lists I create? I don't want anyone seeing if they're on a "you suck" list
    I don't know - can you see my lists? Not that you are on a "you suck" list. you are on a friends list. or an fsu list. or one of them.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Can people see the lists I create? I don't want anyone seeing if they're on a "you suck" list
    No.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Pretty much how I feel about the changes.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    This content is currently unavailable.

The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Wow, your link must have been baaaad!!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Reading this thread reminds me why I don't do facebook....trying to keep myself private would be a full time job it seems :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexa5 View Post
    Reading this thread reminds me why I don't do facebook....trying to keep myself private would be a full time job it seems :-)
    It's pretty straight forward though, don't share what you don't want people to know. It's really no different to anywhere else on the internet.

vCash
    It's pretty straight forward though, don't share what you don't want people to know. It's really no different to anywhere else on the internet.
    That's not true - on Facebook, you're supposed to use your real name. On message boards and other sites, you can use an alias. That's the main reason why people want the privacy settings kept locked down, the way they had it set.

That said, there are a lot of people who have no privacy settings on Facebook, use their real names, list their hometowns and relative's names. Then they post "Going out of town for a week..." It's just asking to be robbed, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    That's not true - on Facebook, you're supposed to use your real name. On message boards and other sites, you can use an alias. That's the main reason why people want the privacy settings kept locked down, the way they had it set.

That said, there are a lot of people who have no privacy settings on Facebook, use their real names, list their hometowns and relative's names. Then they post "Going out of town for a week..." It's just asking to be robbed, lol.
    Don't interpret this as sarcasm, because, really, it's not. This "Facebook will get you robbed" thing is mentioned all the time. But what isn't is a real example of someone doing that and getting robbed. So I am really asking...has this ever actually been documented as happening? Or is it just one more paranoia in paranoid modern America?

(And FTR, my FB is set to maximum privacy settings and my address and phone numbers are not posted there)

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Plus, you don't have to use your real name. My FB is set to max privacy settings, too, and I don't think I ever put in my address and phone numbers. At any rate, they aren't posted. As for the people posting all their information and posts about going out of town, well, that's them. That isn't something you (general) have to do. I don't think Facebook is as evil as some would like to think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Plus, you don't have to use your real name. My FB is set to max privacy settings, too, and I don't think I ever put in my address and phone numbers. At any rate, they aren't posted. As for the people posting all their information and posts about going out of town, well, that's them. That isn't something you (general) have to do. I don't think Facebook is as evil as some would like to think.
    I know people who use just their first name and an initial or their first and middle name and not their last name or a fake or altered last name. So, yeah, you don't have to use your real name or your full name.

I have 13 cousins that live nearly 1000 miles away. I am friends with nearly all of them on Facebook. Prior to last March, I had not seen any of them for 7 1/2 years. Before we all friended each other on FB, I would hear random info about them via my parents who got it from their parents. Since FB, I am in touch with them regularly (via PMs as well as commenting on stuff) know what's going on in their lives, see pics of their kids, etc...That is actually a good thing. People forget to mention the good things about it.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I would also be interested in whether FB posts have led to someone being robbed. I'm sure there have been scams pulled through FB - but there are email scams, mail scams, in-person scams...there are aggressive scammers out there, and there are people who will fall for lies. Nothing new there. But robberies of a person's home because someone was paying attention to their FB posts? If anyone has a link to an actual report, please post.

It's also not new to have one's real name and address/phone number listed publicly, in a place anyone can find it. Anyone remember that thing called the phone book? Sure, there are measures one can take to protect one's identity - hiding the street address, changing/shortening the name - but the default is to lay all that info out there and it's kind of a pain to get it switched. plus, if the complete info gets out there, it's there for at least a year (I often had old phone books lying around).

Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I notice they do require you to put a birthdate down, though. (I choose not to show mine)

vCash
    I wouldn't say I think it is evil...I just think it is set up in a way that makes it more difficult than it needs to be. I haven't used google+ yet, but I already like what I have heard about that one in that it seems to be a more straightforward concept.

I guess for me it has never been worth the hassle to do facebook....if I want to talk to a family or friend we email each other, and that works. Plus I am fortunate that none of my family seems to be on facebook or rely on it. I do have friends on it, but those that I keep in touch with also will do email/phone, etc.

I don't have any problems with others that like FB, it just isn't for me, and I especially wouldn't like having to frequently update my settings to make sure my account stayed private, etc.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I notice they do require you to put a birthdate down, though. (I choose not to show mine)
    As you said, you don't have to have it show, and they even give you the option of showing it without a year if you prefer, so your friends can still send you birthday messages. And of course, there's nothing to stop you from putting in a fake birthdate.

I don't buy this "you'll get robbed" business either. If your status updates can only be seen by your friends list, and you're getting robbed when you post that you'll be out or away, then I think you have a bigger problem than FB privacy for heaven's sake.

Naturally all the people who have issues and fears about FB are the ones who don't actually use it.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I would also be interested in whether FB posts have led to someone being robbed.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they had, but maybe not for the reasons people think.

I live in a burg where nearly everyone has kids; we are awash in people under 18. A police officer here told me that with a handful of exceptions, robberies here are committed by teens against the families of other teens. IOW, if we go out of town and come home to find that the house has been broken into, it is overwhelmingly likely that the perpetrators were my kids' peers.

In that respect, I can see Facebook being a place where opportunistic teens can find houses to rob. It's not unusual for kids to have nearly everyone at their schools on their Facebook lists and most kids post about their doings.

But the above was true before Facebook, too; Facebook has just made it easier for that particular demographic.

Otherwise, though, I don't see a lot of thieves going to the time and trouble of using Facebook to troll for empty houses. I know of a way it could be done, but talk about tedious and time consuming. I think it would be faster and easier to do things the old-fashioned way--go around prospective neighborhoods looking for signs that people are away, which are usually pretty obvious. Facebook is kind of beside the point there; you can have all the privacy settings in the world on your Facebook page, but if you forget to cancel your newspaper, you haven't yourself much good.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    people still get newspapers?

Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexa5 View Post
    I wouldn't say I think it is evil...I just think it is set up in a way that makes it more difficult than it needs to be. I haven't used google+ yet, but I already like what I have heard about that one in that it seems to be a more straightforward concept.

I guess for me it has never been worth the hassle to do facebook....if I want to talk to a family or friend we email each other, and that works. Plus I am fortunate that none of my family seems to be on facebook or rely on it. I do have friends on it, but those that I keep in touch with also will do email/phone, etc.

I don't have any problems with others that like FB, it just isn't for me, and I especially wouldn't like having to frequently update my settings to make sure my account stayed private, etc.
    Actually, it is not difficult to set privacy settings. I don't know how the meme became that it is.

As for google+, I am on it, have tried it out. I hate it. There are no privacy settings to view regarding posts, so you don't actually know what is public and what is not. You are left to assume that it is private because google told you it was. On FB now, I can look at the setting on someone's post before I comment and know who will see it...their friends or friends of friends or a custom list.

I cannot figure out how to use most of it. I put someone in the wrong circle and cannot remove her without deleting her; I could add her to the right circle as well, but could not get her out of the wrong one. I was going to leave a wall post or message for someone not on Facebook to tell him something a few weeks ago--no idea how to do that without commenting on an existing post. Not sure there is a way.

And I consider myself fortunate that a lot of my extended family is on FB; there is nothing unfortunate about how we have been able to use it as a platform to keep in touch. Thirteen cousins is a lot of email. But one family list means I can quickly communicate with all of them briefly without having to have them all in my address book--which I didn't. Passing around email addresses is a project with a big family. I can live chat with them there easily and for free.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I put someone in the wrong circle and cannot remove her without deleting her; I could add her to the right circle as well, but could not get her out of the wrong one.
    To take people out of a circle, hover above the circle, grab their icon and drag it back into the people plane.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...oogle_plus.php
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Don't interpret this as sarcasm, because, really, it's not. This "Facebook will get you robbed" thing is mentioned all the time. But what isn't is a real example of someone doing that and getting robbed. So I am really asking...has this ever actually been documented as happening? Or is it just one more paranoia in paranoid modern America?

(And FTR, my FB is set to maximum privacy settings and my address and phone numbers are not posted there)
    To answer your first question, yes. A friend of mine (in law enforcement -- should've known better), indicated that they'd be away on vacation on his Facebook page. Some schoolmates (not friends) of their son helped themselves to the bicycles in the storage shed. The thieves made the mistake of bragging and it got back to my friend's son and my friend confronted them to retrieve the bikes. They admitted that they knew the family would be away because the son's Facebook page wasn't secured. The son had been whining about going away for Thanksgiving.

Maximum privacy is good, but Facebook loves to override those settings, right? While you might have listed a fake location, most people screw up in their posts and indicate that they live in New Rochelle, NY (for example.) Anywho.com can usually help anyone look up the address once they know your name.

As someone who gets the daily newspaper, I also have a phone book in addition to online resources to find someone.

I work in College Admissions and I once received an "add me to your mailing list" card that was illegible. I looked up the email on the internet to see if I had it correct and found the young lady's Xanga site (forerunner of MySpace and Facebook) that listed every personal item, including her birthdate and where she went to school, dance class (with date/time) and track team practices. I had to shake my head because she gave a detailed itinerary for her upcoming Sweet 16 blast, which meant being out of the house for an entire day with her family.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    To take people out of a circle, hover above the circle, grab their icon and drag it back into the people plane.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...oogle_plus.php
    Tried that. It popped up asking if I was sure I wanted to delete her from my contacts.

Doesn't matter. She can be a friend and an acquaintance, I guess. Because I don't use it since no one posts anything.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    To answer your first question, yes. A friend of mine (in law enforcement -- should've known better), indicated that they'd be away on vacation on his Facebook page. Some schoolmates (not friends) of their son helped themselves to the bicycles in the storage shed. The thieves made the mistake of bragging and it got back to my friend's son and my friend confronted them to retrieve the bikes. They admitted that they knew the family would be away because the son's Facebook page wasn't secured. The son had been whining about going away for Thanksgiving.

Maximum privacy is good, but Facebook loves to override those settings, right? While you might have listed a fake location, most people screw up in their posts and indicate that they live in New Rochelle, NY (for example.) Anywho.com can usually help anyone look up the address once they know your name.
    Which goes back to what Prancer said. And why should your friend have known better? Unless he should've made sure his son's FB had secured privacy settings, then, yeah, he should've known better with that. Otherwise, it is a bit on the the son for not securing his FB page.

Re. FB overriding privacy settings, so far as I know, they don't. Through the recent changes, I haven't had to update my privacy settings, except for any new ones they might have implemented.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast