View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About How People Dress In Public?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anything Goes, Baby!!!

15 25.42%
  • When You're In Public, You Should Be Aware Of How Others Are Affected

33 55.93%
  • Celebrities Deserve Different Rules Than Commoners

0 0%
  • No Clothes For Everyone! They Are Oppressive!!

11 18.64%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I didn't see anywhere in the article where it said his pants were baggy. I'm assuming he was probably wearing saggy skinny jeans. This seems to be the new trend, which I think is even worse than baggy jeans. At least baggy jeans sag because you know, they're too big and you need a belt, but what's the saggy skinny jean all about?

I'm frankly more offended when people go on flights wearing what I consider to be pajamas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    I'm frankly more offended when people go on flights wearing what I consider to be pajamas.
    Why? If it's a long 8+ hours flight then you should wear the most comfortable clothing possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    I didn't see anywhere in the article where it said his pants were baggy. I'm assuming he was probably wearing saggy skinny jeans. This seems to be the new trend, which I think is even worse than baggy jeans. At least baggy jeans sag because you know, they're too big and you need a belt, but what's the saggy skinny jean all about?

I can't even imagine what saggy skinny jeans look like. I'm thinking walking could be a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I can't even imagine what saggy skinny jeans look like. I'm thinking walking could be a problem.
    They really don't sag much in the crotch. They're mainly just low on the hips. I'm guessing he was wearing something like this:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Yyl4A...+Joe+Armstrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Joe_Armstrong

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    If people don't dress the way I want them to dress they should be drawn and quartered!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Unless his bare ass was hanging out for everyone to see, I don't really see a problem with it.

vCash
    Southwest flight attendants seem to be the current fashion police.

I'm not suggesting saggy jeans are something to be encouraged, but to be thrown off a flight for it? And to not think this is a problem?
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Why? If it's a long 8+ hours flight then you should wear the most comfortable clothing possible.
    Um, no. And no Southwest flight is over three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    If people don't dress the way I want them to dress they should be drawn and quartered!
    Exactly.

vCash
    I think saggy pants look silly, but I don't give a flying fig if someone else wants to wear them.

I'm more offended by smelly people on flights who hog my arm rest.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I think saggy pants look silly, but I don't give a flying fig if someone else wants to wear them.

I'm more offended by the potty mouths in public. Everything is effing this and effing that. So tacky.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I'm more offended by the potty mouths in public. Everything is effing this and effing that. So tacky.
    I think this is the real issue. Other Armstrong statements:

Other Armstrong statements:

Armstrong aired his frustration in a Twitter message. "Just got kicked off a southwest flight because my pants sagged too low!" he wrote Thursday night. "What the ****? No joke!"
    After the flight attendant reiterated her instruction and warned Armstrong he could be kicked off the plane, Armstrong reportedly said, "I'm just trying to get to my ****ing seat."
    We'll probably never know everything that went down, but what is possible is that a passenger was partially nude, other passengers complained, staff took action to the complaints, the first passenger was not only disagreeable, but rudely swore at flight staff.

Armstrong had a number of other choices:

1) Pull up your pants and later on wear them whatever way you want,
    2) Tell the flight attendant (politely, without swearing) that he feels his clothing is appropriate, and ask if the attendant could check with their supervisor to see if this is truly a problem
    3) Ask what the dress code is for flying, and to see a printed copy of that code (and if there's no formal dress code), he could suggest that his attire is appropriate and that staff consider preparing something official so that problems like this could be avoided

I think it was Armstrong's rudeness and swearing that got him kicked off the plane. It was not what he was wearing.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    We'll probably never know everything that went down, but what is possible is that a passenger was partially nude, other passengers complained, staff took action to the complaints, the first passenger was not only disagreeable, but rudely swore at flight staff.
    You're joking, right? There is absolutely no evidence that he was nude or that any passengers complained about him.

I think it was Armstrong's rudeness and swearing that got him kicked off the plane. It was not what he was wearing.
    According to the article you linked, it was the other way around. He swore when the woman threatened to kick him off the plane because of his pants. Nobody from Southwest has claimed that he was kicked off because he was rude and swearing. In fact, Southwest immediately apologized for their actions. I doubt that Southwest kicks people off planes every time that a customer swears when a Southwest employee is rude and irrational -- and threatening to kick a customer off of a plane because his pants are sagging while he gets to his seat is both rude and irrational, IMO. If some flight attendant thought my pants were the most important thing for them to attend to and were that rude with me, I doubt I'd have polite language for them, either. They should be worried about safety and efficiency, not wasting their time and annoying customers by commenting on their pants and threatening to kick them off the plane. I wouldn't be surprised if that the flight attendant is having some not very pleasant discussions right now with his or her supervisors.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Even if they don't smell, they better not hog the arm rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if that the flight attendant is having some not very pleasant discussions right now with his or her supervisors.
    I certainly hope that's happening.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    You're joking, right? There is absolutely no evidence that he was nude or that any passengers complained about him.
    There's no evidence to the opposite, either. Are we to believe that this staff person goes after every single person who does not dress the way she likes? If so, I doubt she'd be working for Southwest anymore.

According to the article you linked, it was the other way around. He swore when the woman threatened to kick him off the plane because of his pants.
    Believe it or not, some people do not go off on a foul-mouthed tirade when things do not go their way! (Well, sometimes I check myself!)

Nobody from Southwest has claimed that he was kicked off because he was rude and swearing.
    If I ran a big company that ended up in the news because of an entertainer's snit-fit, I would back down as well. I don't believe the line "there's no such thing as bad publicity". I posted earlier his two examples of swearing, and many believe that to be rude behaviour.

I wouldn't be surprised if that the flight attendant is having some not very pleasant discussions right now with his or her supervisors.
    Agreed. Something along the lines of, "WHAT were you thinking going after somebody famous!!!???"
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    There's no evidence to the opposite, either.
    Seriously? You think that he was strutting around the airport half naked and customers were complaining, but Southwest waited until he was on the plane and headed to his seat to say anything? I think someone would have mentioned that by now if it were true. Why would you assume this? It's not logical. And he's not a rapper. He doesn't regularly go around with his jeans and boxers down to his knees. He wears the low-rise skinny jeans. Your assumption makes very little sense. I'm not sure why you're so intent on believing it.

If I ran a big company that ended up in the news because of an entertainer's snit-fit, I would back down as well. I don't believe the line "there's no such thing as bad publicity".
    Airlines do not have a practice of always apologizing to famous people they throw off planes. This is bad publicity not simply because an entertainer was involved, but because of the flight attendant's conduct. Who wants to fly on an airline where the flight attendants have inflated senses of self-importance and harass people because of what they are wearing? Low-rise jeans are quite common these days. What's next? Harassing customers who have things written on their t-shirts that the flight attendant finds objectionable? Tatoos? Sanctimonious flight attendants focused on attire rather than safety are not a good way to promote an airline.

More importantly, customers don't want to be on planes where idiotic flight attendants are willing to delay flights in order to boot a customer off the flight because of his pants. If I had been on that flight, it would have been the flight attendant's conduct that I found most annoying, not the passenger's bad fashion and use of the f-bomb in response to the airline attendant's poor conduct. I think there are a LOT of potential customers that would feel the same way. That's why it's bad publicity. Not because it involved a member of a rock band.

It sounds like the folks at Southwest realized their flight attendant's mistake before the PR folks even got involved because the airline put him on the next flight. I think with a large business, you're bound to have a few bad employees. Unfortunately, I think the airline attendant here was one of them.
    Last edited by Allskate; 09-07-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Why would you assume this? It's not logical.
    Not only is not logical, but SW Airlines has a history of random enforcement of questionable policies so I think the burden is on them to prove they weren't doing it again rather than on the passenger.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I had a feeling we would hear about Southwest harassing a gay couple and here it is:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...mq1K_blog.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    There's an American Idiot musical?
    I saw it earlier this year. The music of course was fun, but the plot was
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Demon Barber
    vCash
    I had a feeling we would hear about Southwest harassing a gay couple and here it is:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...mq1K_blog.html
    Leisha and Camila's statement:

http://www.msopr.com/press-releases/...ines-incident/

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    My personal experience with saggy pants.

My nephew brought a friend over who's pants hung below his ass with the whole underwear showing in the back. I don't sit on my furniture in my underwear, so I told him, "if you sit anywhere in this house, pull up your pants. I don't don't need your shit left all around my house furniture". Does anyone realize how much fecal matter is in the back of peoples underwear? It's disgusting.

But if someone wants to walk around wearing pants hanging below their ass, go right ahead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast