Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I use the Netflix streaming for tv shows. I just plow through the shows until I've watched every one. I like that there is no timeframe for when I have to finish. I use it more for tv shows than anything else. The movie selection for streaming isn't that great... the good movies, I've already seen for the most part and what's left that I haven't seen tends to be the 2 star crap that I didn't see for a reason.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I just switched to the streaming plan for Netflix. When I saw the increase for Netflix on my banking statement I couldn't believe it! We use to have the two DVD+streaming plan but Netflix has lost their minds. I can live with $7.99 and all the unlimited streaming we like. I brought two Roku boxes for our TVs and we love the streaming videos. Netflix has a great TV show collection as well as some great documentaries.

For DVDs, I'll just continue to use my public library. I've been borrowing DVDs for a while now and as long as I remember to return the DVDs on time or renew them in time, I get no late fees. My library is also starting to increase it's collection of Blu-Ray discs too. So that's even more a perk.
    Last edited by modern_muslimah; 09-06-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    For Canadians, because Canadian Netflix's streaming selection sucks in general, I love Cinemail, which I think is affiliated with a brick and mortar store in Winnipeg. I have the cheapest subscription, ~$7/mo plus tax, for two rentals of one DVD/set at a time, although I'm planning to up it to double that, because they have a great selection of foreign films. My last few rentals have been "Secret in Their Eyes", "Etre et Avoir", "Bete Humaine", "Grand Illusion", and "Tokyo Story", and 'Widow of Saint Pierre" is on its way.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    If anyone uses Amazon a lot, Amazon Prime is another option. For $79 per year (approximate $6.60 per month), you get free two-day shipping on all Amazon products plus access to about 5,000 streaming videos for no additional cost. That content seems to dovetail pretty closely with what Netflix has streaming. Also, Amazon also has online rentals of new releases for a fee comparable to on-demand fees. Some of those instant videos are available on Amazon when they are available only on DVD from Netflix (The King's Speech is one example).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I have the cheapest subscription, ~$7/mo plus tax, for two rentals of one DVD/set at a time, although I'm planning to up it to double that, because they have a great selection of foreign films. My last few rentals have been "Secret in Their Eyes", "Etre et Avoir", "Bete Humaine", "Grand Illusion", and "Tokyo Story", and 'Widow of Saint Pierre" is on its way.
    That looks to be an impressive selection. But, to me a $7.00 monthly charge is too high as I don't rent movies every month and I already have enough monthly bills to pay. There was never a monthly fee to rent from video/DVD stores so I see this just as another money grab.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    If you don't rent DVDs monthly, you are definitely not a target customer of Netflix. That's really what their business model is all about!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    If anyone uses Amazon a lot, Amazon Prime is another option. For $79 per year (approximate $6.60 per month), you get free two-day shipping on all Amazon products plus access to about 5,000 streaming videos for no additional cost.
    I had no idea about this! I've been an Amazon Prime member so I will have to check out their videos. Thanks!

Title-less
    vCash
    Netflix says higher rates cost it 1 million subscribers
    http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/bl...ana=e_dal_rdup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Netflix says higher rates cost it 1 million subscribers
    http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/bl...ana=e_dal_rdup

It's gonna have one less subscriber once I finish watching Mad Men this weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    That looks to be an impressive selection. But, to me a $7.00 monthly charge is too high as I don't rent movies every month and I already have enough monthly bills to pay. There was never a monthly fee to rent from video/DVD stores so I see this just as another money grab.
    Video/DVD stores charged per video, though, and they did not deliver directly to your home. They also allowed you to keep your video for only a limited time and charged late fees. Netflix plans allow you to order unlimited videos (the quantity you can have at one particular time varies by how much you pay), allows you to keep the video as long as you like without late fees, and delivers directly to your home.

Obviously, if you rarely rent videos, then it would be foolish to be a Netflix subscriber. But, it also would be foolish to get a magazine subscription if you don't usually read the magazine. And, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. But, IMO, the increased price is very fair for the service Netflix provides. I can't think of a comparable service for the same price. Personally, since I go to the library frequently, I've been borrowing videos from there. But, for someone who doesn't have that option, doesn't have a nearby video store, and frequently likes to watch recently released and/or more obscure shows and movies, Netflix is a great deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post

Obviously, if you rarely rent videos, then it would be foolish to be a Netflix subscriber. But, it also would be foolish to get a magazine subscription if you don't usually read the magazine. And, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. But, IMO, the increased price is very fair for the service Netflix provides. I can't think of a comparable service for the same price. Personally, since I go to the library frequently, I've been borrowing videos from there. But, for someone who doesn't have that option, doesn't have a nearby video store, and frequently likes to watch recently released and/or more obscure shows and movies, Netflix is a great deal.
    This describes me perfectly and for personal/logistics reasons, I prefer watching DVDs on my TV as opposed to streaming video on my computer. (I have no capacity for streaming on TV.) Netflix' two DVDs out at a time is perfect for me in price and convenience, so I am sticking with Netflix for now.

vCash
    I watch movies almost daily, so paying $10.99 a month for instant access and 1 DVD at a time is totally fine with me. I'm surprised it isn't for most people but then I have to remind myself that I really, really like movies

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I watch movies almost daily, so paying $10.99 a month for instant access and 1 DVD at a time is totally fine with me. I'm surprised it isn't for most people but then I have to remind myself that I really, really like movies
    Except for that plan you just mentioned, it is now $17.30 with tax. Up from $10.81.

edited to add that up until Jan 2011, I was being charge $9.73 for this plan.

vCash
    Weird, it's been 10.99 the past few times I've been billed. Guess I'll have to go check. Either way, I will probably keep the plan. Still worth it.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I believe September was the last month for the $10 plan on Netflix. Watch out, you will now be paying around $17 after taxes. $7.99 for the streaming plan and about the same for 1 DVD option.

In other words, they are raising your price almost DOUBLE and offering you NOTHING extra. Not cool. We already canceled the DVD option and kept the streaming so our price didn't change. However, the streaming has been pathetic and has not gotten better even after all their promises. I think we will cancel soon.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I think Netflix wants all you DVD watching people to go away anyway. As far as I can tell, they don't make enough money off you and want everyone to go to streaming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I believe September was the last month for the $10 plan on Netflix. Watch out, you will now be paying around $17 after taxes. $7.99 for the streaming plan and about the same for 1 DVD option.

In other words, they are raising your price almost DOUBLE and offering you NOTHING extra. Not cool. We already canceled the DVD option and kept the streaming so our price didn't change. However, the streaming has been pathetic and has not gotten better even after all their promises. I think we will cancel soon.
    Not only are you not getting anything extra, eventually you'll be losing Starz as well.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...ew-movies.html

vCash
    Why are they raising the prices? Are they having a problem making a profit?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    It's a strategy thing. If it wasn't, they would have just increased prices across the board. They didn't increase prices for their streaming only option, for example. Here is what they said are the reasons for the change:

Despite the guidance revision, we remain convinced that the splitting of our services was the right longterm strategic choice. The strategy behind the split of our services is four-fold:

(1) to create a dedicated DVD rental division that takes pride in great execution and maximizes the opportunity for disc rental over the coming decade;
    (2) to enable us to improve our global streaming service even more rapidly, because it is not meshed with a domestic DVD business;
    (3) to enable us, with the growth in revenue, to license more streaming content and thereby improve our streaming service even more;
    (4) to remain very price aggressive, with $7.99 per month for unlimited streaming of a huge library of TV shows and movies, and $7.99 per month for unlimited DVD rentals, 1 out at-a-time.

We know our decision to split our services has upset many of our subscribers, which we don’t take lightly, but we believe this split will help us make our services better for subscribers and shareholders for years to come.
    Note: I'm not defending their decisions. I just wanted to know what the reason was so I went out and found an article that explained their POV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I think Netflix wants all you DVD watching people to go away anyway. As far as I can tell, they don't make enough money off you and want everyone to go to streaming.
    If you only order DVDs, then your monthly bill actually went down with the change in pricing plan. If you like DVDs and don't like or use the streaming, just cancel the streaming part and you'll actually be paying less than you were before.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were profit problems. They have to pay for DVDs and for shipping both ways and for labor costs and they have to pay royalties and technical costs for streaming. Do the math. How can you mail four or five or more DVDs to someone in a month and provide unlimited streaming for less than ten bucks per month?

I realize that people don't like paying more than they were paying before, but I'm surprised that people are so upset by the price. It seems like a bargain to me unless you don't really use the service or have a bargain DVD outlet right next door. Who else is providing a comparable service for less money -- and still making a profit? Maybe we just live in an age where people expect all their entertainment for free. I'm guessing that pretty soon people will be illegally downloading movies as frequently and cavalierly as they illegally download music.
    Last edited by Allskate; 09-17-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast