Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    The ISU tweeted yesterday that they are looking into providing HD quality videos of all JGP Brisbane performances on DVD and they would provide an update when info was finalized.
    forgive my tech ignorance, but i'm pretty sure someone told me that you can't get HD on dvd--dvd is basically a low resolution format, no better than the old 720x480 at best. for HD don't you need blu-ray or such???

it would make sense that they stopped putting up the 720p version because they are planning to sell it.

i think this works--they don't have to pay commentators, so it's cheaper for them, and i can hear the skaters' music uninterrupted by (usually biased) commentary.

vCash
    Answer to the question "Will the ISU provide similar uploads of videos from performances of Senior Grand Prix events: No!

Quoting David Dore, ISU VP - Figure Skating who was asked about this recently, "Sorry but due to television rights they will not be able to show the Senior (Grand Prix) or the (ISU) Championships in the same way. However, the Grand Prix is to be expanded on Euorvision. I do understand that the ISU is working with the rights holders to provide some on-line coverage, which could be interesting"
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    If only they provide coverage of the qualifying rounds at europeans, 4cc and worlds.... its not like the tv right holders are covering or airing the preliminaries, so why they couldn´t do it??

Choice is an illusion
    vCash
    However, the Grand Prix is to be expanded on Euorvision.
    Oh, does it mean that GP will be broadcast on something like Eurovisionsports.tv?
    We can never see past the choices we don't understand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    If only they provide coverage of the qualifying rounds at europeans, 4cc and worlds.... its not like the tv right holders are covering or airing the preliminaries, so why they couldn´t do it??
    Because when the ISU sells the rights to all their events coverage to media in countries around the world, those rights include all portions of each event. Whether or not the media chooses to televise all segments of each competition (including preliminary rounds) does not matter. The ISU does cannot violate the terms of it's contractual agreements with each media entity.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarFarAway View Post
    Oh, does it mean that GP will be broadcast on something like Eurovisionsports.tv?
    There was no further explaination from Mr. Dore other than to mention Eurovision. Make whatever assumptions you take from that until further information is formally released, and I have no clue as to when that might occur. Just passing on what I learned.

vCash
    Because when the ISU sells the rights to all their events coverage to media in countries around the world, those rights include all portions of each event. Whether or not the media chooses to televise all segments of each competition (including preliminary rounds) does not matter. The ISU does cannot violate the terms of it's contractual agreements with each media entity.
    Well that makes sense in a way, but why did the ISU not provide coverage of the preliminary rounds at Moscow worlds in their On Demand Channel that streamed the whole championships??

I think that it´s ok that ISU cannot violate the terms of contractual coverage with those tv companies that buy the rights, but why they can´t show the rest of the world the preliminary rounds via their own service of PPV-On demand?

Choice is an illusion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    Well that makes sense in a way, but why did the ISU not provide coverage of the preliminary rounds at Moscow worlds in their On Demand Channel that streamed the whole championships??

I think that it´s ok that ISU cannot violate the terms of contractual coverage with those tv companies that buy the rights, but why they can´t show the rest of the world the preliminary rounds via their own service of PPV-On demand?
    I wish they could show that, but in Russia that On Demand service is, or rather was, not available at the Worlds 2011.
    We can never see past the choices we don't understand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12