Thread: Spin Entry

vCash

Spin Entry

For a normal spin entry, do people enter from an inside three turn or do the crossover set up?

Just interested. I have been taught both ways but wondering what the majority have been taught.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I do both... but generally the inside 3. I'll do the back crossovers only if it's a death drop or flying sit probably.

vCash
    I prefer the inside three, except for sitspins.

I definitely prefer the crossover entry for flying sitspin, but that's not a spin I practice very often or could use in a program.

vCash
    I like to do inside 3 for scratch spin and sit spin. My camel spin isn't good enough yet for that, so I still do a crossover wind up.

I feel like the 3-turn entry offers a lot more leeway choreographically, so I do it because we use it in my programs (it just doesn't take as much time.)

My backspin is still entered from basically a standstill, just an inside edge on the right foot, then push on the left and hook a spin (CW)

Most every coach I've worked with have started teaching spins by standing on a line and pushing right into a 3-turn, then use crossovers/wind-up, and then do 3-turn-step entry. I don't know anyone who can do the 3-turn entry but didn't learn a crossover entry first.

vCash
    I do both. I mostly do layback from a forward inside 3, probably because thats how it was first put into my program but otherwise I don't have a preference. I've discovered recently though I'm better at doing back entrance for a change foot spin even though it's supposed to to be harder!

vCash
    I was first taught from the back crossover-windup entry, but ended up discovering that the RFI 3-turn entry worked much better for me. I don't think I can even do a camel spin from the crossover-windup entry anymore!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    I do both... but generally the inside 3. I'll do the back crossovers only if it's a death drop or flying sit probably.
    I do both as well, but completely opposite to you, I do back crossovers for non-flying spins, and inside 3 entry for all flying spins (flying camel, death drop, etc.)

Though I was originally taught first the backward crossover entry.

vCash
    I prefer backward crossover entry, but my coach always put my spins in my solo with a inside 3 turn entry. When I practice spins outside a solo, I do the crossover entry lol.

vCash
    I generally do wind-up for most spins, but lately I've done the 3-turn for solo spins and wind-up for flying spins. Anything where I need a lot of extra torque, I find it easier to go fast into the wind-up to get a good push, especially on spins like the flying camel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise View Post
    I prefer backward crossover entry, but my coach always put my spins in my solo with a inside 3 turn entry. When I practice spins outside a solo, I do the crossover entry lol.
    I always practice what is in my current program. So last season I did 3 turn for scratch spin and crossover for sit, and this season I do the opposite.

I agree it is easier to get speed from the 3 turn. I think it is because I drag my toe pick to slow down the crossover to make the step fwd easier.

vCash
    I've been practicing my program with a sitspin at the end, preparing for possibly testing the US Preliminary freestyle test (I've already passed bronze and don't want to move up officially to silver). So I'm doing it from a back crossover entry.

But if I use the program in competition I'd rather do a layback at the end. The question is, can I do it from the back crossover? Or will I need to rechoreograph?