Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    ^^^
    Entire post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    I hope that writing this book was (a) theraputic for Ms. Dugard and that (b) she makes a lot of money and that she can take care of her girls needs for the rest of their lives. No amount of money can make up for what she went through but I hope she will be comfortable and the bastard rots in heII.
    She is not making money from the sales of the book; she is donating it to charity. However, as NJL wrote, she received 20 mill compensation for the gross errors of the officers. Although no amount of money can undo what she went through, at least she is happy and comfortable with her loved ones now.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    No need to complain about people that want to talk about the book.
    Which, as has been pointed out, I never complained about.

I actually am quite happy for people to talk about the book. That's one way I decide if I want to read a book and why I came into this thread to begin with.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Personally I have no interest in reading this book and I am somewhat bemused by all the people who are pushing others to read it who don't want to. It seems to be going beyond the usual "I read this great book and I recommend it" into "you have a moral obligation to force yourself to read this book whether you want to or not."

Um, no. I don't.
    Then why do you even bother to come to this thread if you have no interested in reading her book? They weren't pushing others to read it. The poster said "You can do it" because 3-4 posters said they were "interested in reading" but couldn't handle it. That's all. They weren't pushing this book to anyone who WASN'T INTERESTED in this book.
    Last edited by ks777; 09-03-2011 at 05:35 AM.

vCash
    She is not making money from the sales of the book; she is donating it to charity. However, as NJL wrote, she received 20 mill compensation for the gross errors of the officers. Although no amount of money can undo what she went through, at least she is happy and comfortable with her loved ones now.
    Just to be clear, SOME of the book's proceeds go to the charity. I hadn't read that ALL of the proceeds would be donated, so I would expect her to make some money from the sales.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. She had a lot of life stolen from her and $20k isn't much when you have two kids to care for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Just to be clear, SOME of the book's proceeds go to the charity. I hadn't read that ALL of the proceeds would be donated, so I would expect her to make some money from the sales.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. She had a lot of life stolen from her and $20k isn't much when you have two kids to care for.
    She got 20 million.....$20,000,000....not $20K....$20,000. I agree that 20K isn't much. OTOH, $20,000,000 should be sufficient for almost anything she & her children may need in this lifetime...

NJL

vCash
    Thank you. I thought I had read million in an article about the sentencings, but then others posted the $20k number, so I figured I had read it wrong initially. Still, the book proceeds are only partially going towards the charity.

vCash
    Thank you. I thought I had read million in an article about the sentencings, but then others posted the $20k number, so I figured I had read it wrong initially. Still, the book proceeds are only partially going towards the charity.
    Fair enough. We can agree she's in pretty good shape as far as $$$$$ is concerned....

NJL

vCash
    Considering the gross negligence of the officers and what it cost her in terms of her life (18 years of hell- living with a criminal who abused and raped her, not seeing her family, living in abominal conditions, no schooling, not even using her real name, and so on), there is no way $20K would have been enough to settle. It has to be 20 million.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Then why do you even bother to come to this thread if you have no interested in reading her book?
    I find this ironic given that (a) you are telling me that my interpretation of what people are saying in this thread is incorrect yet in the post RIGHT ABOVE yours I said:

I actually am quite happy for people to talk about the book. That's one way I decide if I want to read a book and why I came into this thread to begin with.
    Thus (b) showing your reading comprehension is a bit lacking.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I find this ironic given that (a) you are telling me that my interpretation of what people are saying in this thread is incorrect yet in the post RIGHT ABOVE yours I said:

Thus (b) showing your reading comprehension is a bit lacking.
    You are sure taking a looooong time to decide, if you came to this thread to decide whether the book is worth reading. Actually one of your first posts said you had no interest at all in reading this book, so your mind was already made up. You are posting a lot on a thread that you have no interest in.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    You are sure taking a looooong time to decide, if you came to this thread to decide whether the book is worth reading. Actually one of your first posts said you had no interest at all in reading this book, so your mind was already made up. You are posting a lot on a thread that you have no interest in.
    So? The thread is interesting...

Or it was interesting until you started the ad hominem attacks.
    Last edited by MacMadame; 09-06-2011 at 02:55 AM.

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    Can you two take it to PM so people can discuss Ms. Dugard's book?

vCash

Cool

FYI:

There is at least one other book about this crime available through Amazon: Lost and Found: The True Story of Jaycee Lee Dugard and the Abduction... by John Glatt, a writer that specializes in writing about crimes. It was published in Sept 2010, Jaycee's book was published in July 2011, consequently it does not cover as much after her release as her book does.

However, it gives you a very good rundown on her abductor & his wife and their reason for committing the kidnapping and all that followed. There are interesting insights into her life in captivity other than the sexual torment she endured, it is mentioned but not described, a very good rundown on how & why the Police at UC Berkley were so interested in the 2 young girls Garrido had with him on his visits there, - for one thing their style of dress was likened to 'Little House on The Prairie' - and how his probation officer, acting on the information the police officer from UC Berkley had given him along with Garrido's bizarre entrance to the probation office while he was talking to her finally forced him to investigate exactly what was going on. Considering that the Epilogue to 'Lost & Found' states that Jaycee had told investigators after her release that parole agents had actually spoken to her and her oldest daughter during their captivity but did nothing then, it was about time.

If I were to recommend a sequence for reading the 2 books I'd say read Lost and Found first, then Jaycee's A Stolen Life. One gives you valuable background that is useful while reading the other. You could follow up both books with Jaycee's interview with Diane Sawyer. That will give you a good look at one of the most remarkable people ever and actually bring considerable closure to the reader.

NJL

ETA: The Diane Sawyer interview:
    http://abc.go.com/watch/abc-news-spe...irst-interview
    I'd forgotten that this might be a bit too strong for some folks. The early part of the conversation does deal with the abduction & early days of captivity. It also verifies the claim made that she actually did speak with parole officers during her captivity.

The entire interview, advertisements and all, runs for 85 minutes.
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 09-06-2011 at 10:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MINAM View Post
    Can you two take it to PM so people can discuss Ms. Dugard's book?
    Excuse me, but I am the one that started this thread with the intention of discussing this book.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Excuse me, but I am the one that started this thread with the intention of discussing this book.
    And? You are also doing your part to derail the discussion of the book. Still.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash

Thumbs up

On one of Jaycee's lists of things she'd like to do that she wrote in the journal she kept during her captivity, the same one where she listed 'ride a hot-air balloon' and 'learn to drive', if memory serves, she also listed 'write a best seller'. While leafing through yesterday's Miami Herald I came across the latest New York Times list of Best sellers. Number 2 on the list of non-fiction hardcover books was A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. One more item to cross off of the list, Jaycee. Well done....

NJL

vCash
    I assume she has a drivers license by now (another one to check off). We take it for granted, but it must mean so much to her!

vCash
    I assume she has a drivers license by now (another one to check off). We take it for granted, but it must mean so much to her!
    Yes, she does. The reason I mentioned the balloon & the drivers license is I knew they were 2 things she'd already done.

She'd mentioned the drivers license in both the book & the interview with Diane Sawyer - her younger sister taught her how to drive - and the Diane Sawyer interview ended with Jaycee & her mother drifting over the landscape in a hot air balloon. The person that thought she had no future when she wrote the list doing one of the more frivolous things on it just because she wanted to with the person that was #1 on the list - 'see mom'. How many more would she accomplish in her future?

Since the ride in a hot-air balloon was also mentioned in the interview it made for a very nice ending to it.

NJL

vCash

Cool

Off topic, but it is about Jaycee. She's is suing the US govt over their mismanagement of Garrido for the years he was under their parole supervision.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/money...ears-captivity

If this ever gets to trial & she actually wins all proceeds will go to her JAYC Foundation.

I've looked at several places that have reported this lawsuit. More than a few posts in the comments section are strongly against it. She already got $20 mil from the State of California & that should be enough, it's wrong because the taxpayer will get stuck paying any award, she shouldn't get anything because she never tried to escape, etc.

I feel that the suit should be allowed. Even of she gets nothing financial out of it she gets to let the feds know that their mistakes cost a young girl 18 years of her life. Maybe it's time to rethink how they do parole from now on. They certainly failed Jaycee, both at the Federal & State level.

NJL (...and A Stolen Life is still on the best seller list, but has gone down a bit...)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast