vCash

Question about Hats/ British Weddings

Are there certain "rules" when it comes to wearing hats to weddings? I ask because I have fallen in love with the wedding dress worn by Kate Moss. But as I look at pictures taken of wedding guests I see some hats but not many. I had the idea that wearing a hat was standard practice at weddings in Britian. Educate me please.

vCash
    I don't think the wearing of hats is standard practice at weddings here - it does seem to be personal preference and fashion. The weddings I've been to recently did seem to have lots fascinators around and only a few hats. The fascinators in particular were very popular with all ages, teens to 80 year olds, attached either with a comb or a band. The hats were worn by the bride's mother and the groom's mother. I guess the disadvantage of hats is that people sitting behind the wearer can't see past them and they don't do much for hair

vCash
    Thank you--fascinator is a new term for me this year as well as now being able to recognize Princess Beatrice. When Charles married Camilla I liked her dress and hat (fascinator?) If I had seen the headpiece standing alone I would have thought it looked ridiculous but with her wedding attire it all seemed to work. And regarding your point about the size of the hat: I kept thinking about Andie MacDowell's huge hat in "Four Weddings and a Funeral." Way too big.