vCash

Help needed with Mozilla Firefox

I started using Mozilla Firefox more frequently after I got disenchanted with IE (it had too many junk ads, some of them sexist), and now I use mostly MF. The problem I have with MF is that after I watch a program on Youtube or open a link to an article, I cannot get back to what I was reading. I have to get out of MF, and then go back to the post or article. I am getting tired of having to start from scratch, that is go back to fsu from my bookmarks, and access the thread I was reading.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    What do you mean? Is the back button broken or you can't find the tab? I use Firefox all the time and have everything set to "open in new tab" so I know I can get back to what I was doing. Plus my automatic reaction to finishing an article is to close the tab anyway.

I've never heard of Firefox breaking the back button or breaking the history! That sounds really weird! Which version are you using?

vCash
    Are your links opening in the same tab or are they opening in a new one?

If they are opening in the same tab you should be able to use the back button to return to FSU. (Or even press the backspace key on your keyboard.)

If they are opening in a new tab, closing that tab should cause the original tab to display again. If not you can choose it by clicking on it on the tab bar.

vCash
    I'm not completely clear on what the problem you're describing I apologize if this is information you already know. In MF (and I believe in recent versions of IE) most links open in new tabs, so you can't get back to where you were by using the back button. The page you linked from should still be open in its original tab, and you can get back to it either by clicking on its tab near the top of the screen or by simply closing the new tab the the link opened up in. There should be no need to exit the browser or close the window (by clicking the red x in up in the corner.) You should be able to move between the tabs which are usually displayed right under the address bar. If this isn't what you meant and you're having some other kind of problem, could you give a little more detail on what exactly happens when you try to go back to the previous tab?

vCash
    I have tried using the back button and the curved arrow to go back to where I was, but it never takes me back. If it's a YT, it just keeps sending me to the same YT program.

BTW if I am reading my email, for example, it's not a problem. I just click on the back arrow. It's only when I am accessing something from outside, like YT or link to an article.

When I close it, it asks me if I want to save the link and I almost always say no. Perhaps I should say yes to that and see what happens.

Thanks for the inputs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I have tried using the back button and the curved arrow to go back to where I was, but it never takes me back. If it's a YT, it just keeps sending me to the same YT program.

BTW if I am reading my email, for example, it's not a problem. I just click on the back arrow. It's only when I am accessing something from outside, like YT or link to an article.

When I close it, it asks me if I want to save the link and I almost always say no. Perhaps I should say yes to that and see what happens.

Thanks for the inputs.
    It sounds like to me that whenever you click on a link, it's opening it to a new tab. When you close a window with multiple tabs, Firefox will ask if you want to save these tabs for your next session. It's the only time Firefox will ask you to save links, but they tell you that you're closing multiple tabs.

Looking at my session in Firefox 6, tabs show up HIGHER than the URL bar, which is why it may be confusing you. Here's what my Firefox window looks like:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7674/fftabs.jpg

BTW the curved arrow is the refresh button, that won't get you anywhere.

vCash
    there was a redirect virus a few months ago. You might want to run a scan. To have any links open in a new box, go to tools and I think it's under settings. Click the box to open in new tab!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    It sounds like to me that whenever you click on a link, it's opening it to a new tab. When you close a window with multiple tabs, Firefox will ask if you want to save these tabs for your next session. It's the only time Firefox will ask you to save links, but they tell you that you're closing multiple tabs.

Looking at my session in Firefox 6, tabs show up HIGHER than the URL bar, which is why it may be confusing you. Here's what my Firefox window looks like:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7674/fftabs.jpg

BTW the curved arrow is the refresh button, that won't get you anywhere.
    My toolbar does not look like this. The back button grays out and then I have no choice but to get out of MF completely. If I save the links it just takes me back to what I was reading, but I cannot go back.

May be I will just go back to using IE. Thanks for your help though.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    My toolbar does not look like this. The back button grays out and then I have no choice but to get out of MF completely. If I save the links it just takes me back to what I was reading, but I cannot go back.

Are links opening up in new tabs or windows? If links are opening in a new tab, just close the new tab or click on the tab the link opened from.

vCash

Are any tabs showing up at all then? What version of Firefox are you running?

You might want to reinstall Firefox and see if that helps. And as mysticchic suggested, run a virus scan.

Don't get back to IE - security is a lot worse in IE than any other browser! That's why you're getting so many junk ads, plus a lot of those junk ads can put nasty stuff on your computer without you knowing it!

Plus a lot of webpages don't play as nicely with IE than with the others. (I'm learning how to build websites, IE is a b*tch to work around. I'm glad IE6 is dying a slow painful death...but it's too slow for my liking!) If you don't want to use Firefox, at least use Chrome or something.

vCash
    If nothing works, I'd recommend simply reinstalling Firefox. I had a problem with being redirected to advertising sites and tried EVERY (free) antivirus I could search on the internet, but no program could detect a virus. Lo and behold a simple reinstall of Firefox did the trick.

vCash
    1. Do you understand what a tab is?

2. Are new tabs opening when you click the links?

vCash
    The curved arrow is the refresh button. To get back to previous pages, press the back arrow button and hold down the left mouse button. Your previous pages should appear as a drop down menu.
    Also sometimes if you are in a YouTube channel rather than an individual video, the back button will keep you within the channel for a few clicks.

vCash
    Thanks for the tip to show all your previous pages!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    The problem in my case is when I open a different site, the earlier tab disappears and it is replaced (instead of added to) by the new one. At one time, I was able to see multiple tabs to select from, but not anymore.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Is it possible that your browser is set up to open links in a new browser page, instead of a new tab? Go to "tools" "options" and "tabs" and make sure "open new windows in a new tab instead" is clicked.

Also try unclicking "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" - that way, when you click a link, it should keep you on your current page (with back button activated) until you manually select the new tab (which you can just close when you're done with the link).

vCash
    And you're certain it's not just opening a new window entirely with the tab and the old one isn't in just a different browser widow you can't see?

If it really is the tabs just not working, maybe this will help?

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/708812

It seems that some add-ons disable the tabs. Have you installed any new add ons recently?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    And you're certain it's not just opening a new window entirely with the tab and the old one isn't in just a different browser widow you can't see?

If it really is the tabs just not working, maybe this will help?

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/708812

It seems that some add-ons disable the tabs. Have you installed any new add ons recently?

I did not install any add-ons, but I played with the options/tabs some. It is still not solving the problem. I have sent a question to FF for help.

The link you sent me had a related question, but not quite the one I have.

Thanks