View Poll Results: Who do you consider the 3 greatest actresses of our time?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Meryl Streep

119 81.51%
  • Helen Mirren

68 46.58%
  • Kate Winslett

58 39.73%
  • Cate Blanchett

53 36.30%
  • Natalie Portman

10 6.85%
  • Julianne Moore

13 8.90%
  • Nicole Kidman

7 4.79%
  • Hillary Swank

9 6.16%
  • Annette Bening

9 6.16%
  • Susan Sarandon

17 11.64%
  • Viola Davis

2 1.37%
  • Other

36 24.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

vCash
    Speaking of Jodie Foster (and Kate Winslet), the trailer for Roman Polanksi's film Carnage looks absolutely amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON3kwJPwcMU

I don't want to get into a discussion about Roman Polanski's past and I'm one who would rather not give him any money or attention, but I really want to see this film.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    IMO, there's Meryl Streep, and then there's everyone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Portman doesn't belong on this list at all IMO.
    I will agree with you. I haven't seen Black Swan, but every other single movie she's been in that I've seen, she comes off as a terrible actress... very wooden and monotone... like she's reading a cue card and not putting any emotion into it.

Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    I picked Streep, Mirren and Blanchett.
    These were my choices, too. Kate Winslet was my runner up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    I will agree with you. I haven't seen Black Swan, but every other single movie she's been in that I've seen, she comes off as a terrible actress... very wooden and monotone... like she's reading a cue card and not putting any emotion into it.
    One of my BFFs put it best; in Black Swan, it was like she was in her first dance recital, and kept looking in the wings for guidance from her dance teacher.... I can totally get this, watching my niece at her first recital; she and the other dancers kept looking to the side whenever they forgot their next move .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Well, disdain for the Academy aside, "apotheosis" actress Maggie Smith has two Academy Awards.
    Maggie Smith's other Oscar was for Best Supporting Actress. I think LaSalle's distinction is more pertinent for lead roles. It also is easier to see what he's talking about in terms of male actors because there are so few few lead roles for women in contemporary Hollywood movies, and male actors are therefore more likely to tend toward the purely "apotheosis" or "chameleon-like" style of acting.

My point was that it's not necessarily a bad thing that, as Beefcake said, no one plays Maggie Smith better than Maggie Smith. No one paid much attention to Humphrey Bogart's performances until he started playing Humphrey Bogart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    IMO, there's Meryl Streep, and then there's everyone else.
    That's my sentiment too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Maggie Smith's other Oscar was for Best Supporting Actress. I think LaSalle's distinction is more pertinent for lead roles. It also is easier to see what he's talking about in terms of male actors because there are so few few lead roles for women in contemporary Hollywood movies, and male actors are therefore more likely to tend toward the purely "apotheosis" or "chameleon-like" style of acting.

My point was that it's not necessarily a bad thing that, as Beefcake said, no one plays Maggie Smith better than Maggie Smith. No one paid much attention to Humphrey Bogart's performances until he started playing Humphrey Bogart.
    To be honest, I don't think that was particularly true for the majority of Best Actor winners:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_actor_oscar#2010s

Of course, if you only look at this past decade, then yeah, he has a point. I wonder how much of it is rewarding chameleon-like performances and how much is the fact that the Oscars (and other critics) simply like rewarding people who play real people. Of course, if you look beyond the winners and into the nominees, I find the majority aren't giving the type of performances where they "transform" themselves.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    What does “of our time” means when all the movies starting end of 19th century are easily available on a click?

To me, Great Actress means: someone who can sing, dance and act.
    - to act in fiction, drama, comedy, musical and classic subjects from literature and history;
    - to act when young and old; to gracefully transfer from playing an attractive heroine to a role of an older woman, some-one’s grand mother;
    - to make a cameo appearances memorable;
    - to make a inde/art movie a hit;
    - to act on stage.

I can’t think of too many who qualify in most of the categories, except for:
    - Julie Andrews
    - Greta Garbo.
    - Nicole Kidman

Yet the above 3 are not my favorites. My favorite great actresses are:
    - Bette Davis
    - Simone Signoret
    - Julietta Masina
    - Anna Magnani
    - Vivien Leigh (just for “Street Car” alone, never mind “Gone with the wind”)
    - Liv Ullmann
    - Jennifer Jones
    - Emily Watson
    - Judy Dench
    - Meryl Streep
    - Helen Mirren
    - Michelle Pfeiffer
    - Winona Ryder

In general I hate “method acting” across the board; I much rather watch actors who follow a classic theatrical style, an actor being able to portray what the script’s author and director intended the character to be, especially in movies based on classic literature; and not the interpretation of how “actors perceives the character based on their personal experiences” – they can “shove” their perceptions very far, as far as I am concerned.

But Streep and Mirren and just few others are exceptions; they take “personal” out of the character and somehow manage to reflect exactly the image I’ve imagined when reading the original books.

I had high hopes for Natalie Portman after seeing her in "The Professional". She is beautiful, educated, talented.... But after the hideous "Black Swan" she is dead for me..... for accepting that role, and her sappy face the whole movie.
    Last edited by Tinami Amori; 08-28-2011 at 04:09 AM.

vCash
    I just think a great actress needs to be able to act really well. A great musical theater actress needs all three of those qualities but we are obviously talking about film here.

And I don't think Kidman is a great singer. She's okay. And I say that with Moulin Rouge! being my all-time favorite film. Her range is great but her voice itself is not terribly powerful.

I luuurve Julie Andrews

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Helena Bonham Carter
    I was just going to....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I was just going to....
    It seems neither of you read the opening post. HBC has been mentioned in it, as honorable mention.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I was just going to....(mentioned Helena Bonham Carter)
    She will One of the Greatest Actresses soon... AFTER she finishes filming Great Expectations in the role of Miss Havisham in 2012.... (because so far she has not played an old lady yet….. …. And one has to play “an old lady” first… that’s the true test for an actress. One is not successful until one is not afraid or ashamed of “old”.

vCash
    Considering the extreme lack of roles for old ladies in general (and the fact that Judi Dench seems to play 90% of them), your criteria really baffle me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    She will One of the Greatest Actresses soon... AFTER she finishes filming Great Expectations in the role of Miss Havisham in 2012.... (because so far she has not played an old lady yet….. …. And one has to play “an old lady” first… that’s the true test for an actress. One is not successful until one is not afraid or ashamed of “old”.
    I love Helena Bonham Carter, but I have seen her in only two movies (The king's speech and Room with a view) that are separated by 25 years. I wonder if not having a lot of roles is the reason she does not get a lot of publicity, the way other actresses do?

About playing the role of an old lady, there may be some validity to that. Kate Winslet won her Oscar after she appeared as an old lady in The Reader. Also a change in looks may be helpful in winning the Oscar (I am not suggesting that these Oscars were not deserved)- like Charlize Theron (I forgot the movie title) or Nicole Kidman (her nose). It's not the sole criterion, but I am sure it helps.

vCash
    Those were in Monster and The Hours.

And I think the only reason those happened were because the Academy sometimes has difficulty taking pretty young actresses seriously if they're not either getting old, uglying themselves up, or playing a hooker with a heart of gold.

However, I do think both Charlize and Nicole earned their Oscars, unlike some other people I can think of.

vCash
    "Our time"? Meaning what exactly?

Anyway, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jessica Lange, Sissy Spacek, or Geraldine Page.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post

Anyway, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jessica Lange, Sissy Spacek, or Geraldine Page.
    Meaning they are still acting, unlike those who have passed away or have stopped acting/retired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post

Geraldine Page died in 1987.

vCash
    I was wondering why I'd never heard of her

Beach Bum
    vCash
    ITA re Maggie Smith, Jodie Foster, and Frances McDormand. Has anyone mentioned Marion Cotillard? I thought she was wonderful in the Piaf movie and she was even good in that scenery chewer - the movie musical of 9.

Natalie Portman was great at age 13 in the Professional.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast