View Poll Results: Who do you consider the 3 greatest actresses of our time?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Meryl Streep

119 81.51%
  • Helen Mirren

68 46.58%
  • Kate Winslett

58 39.73%
  • Cate Blanchett

53 36.30%
  • Natalie Portman

10 6.85%
  • Julianne Moore

13 8.90%
  • Nicole Kidman

7 4.79%
  • Hillary Swank

9 6.16%
  • Annette Bening

9 6.16%
  • Susan Sarandon

17 11.64%
  • Viola Davis

2 1.37%
  • Other

36 24.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Actually I will do someone. Kelly MacDonald. She should be a superstar and be snatched up by all the best directors for in my opinion she is utterly amazing. Watch her in Gosford Park, No Country for Old Men, Broadwalk Empire hell even watch her in Trainspotting.

The other actress that immediately springs to mind is Emily Watson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Helena Bonham Carter

See the opening post. She is on my honorable mention list.

vCash
    Julie Andrews, Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren

I also really admire Judi Dench.

vCash
    Women are tougher than men, but I seem to like the men and then the characters they play but with women, I tend to love the characters they portray first, some more than others ... for instance

Kathy Bates:
    Dolores Claiborne
    Misery
    The Late Shift
    Primary Colors

Julia Roberts:
    Pretty Woman
    Steel Magnolias
    Erin Brockovich
    Step Mom
    Something to Talk About

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    My "other" in addition to Mirren and Streep is Laura Linney.

My honorable mention goes to Juliette Binoche.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I voted for Winslet and Streep but couldn't for the life of me decide on a 3rd. They're all too good.

vCash
    Adding a vote for Maggie Smith!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    hmmm... these weren't the kind of "actresses" I'd think of

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Actually I will do someone. Kelly MacDonald. She should be a superstar and be snatched up by all the best directors for in my opinion she is utterly amazing. Watch her in Gosford Park, No Country for Old Men, Broadwalk Empire hell even watch her in Trainspotting.
    Word. She's also very effective in a supporting role in the 2009 film In the Electric Mist, which also boasts the talents of Tommy Lee Jones, John Goodman, and Ned Beatty.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    When I think of naming the "greatest" actresses, I start with Streep and work from there. My second choice would be Cate Blanchett, even though she is still early in her career, I think she is brilliant and as gifted as Streep. I would also include Helen Mirren and Judi Dench in the "Greatest" category, and honestly would find it hard to select one over the other, though probably I'd give the edge to Dench. I've seen both on stage as well as in film and they are both extraordinary. If any of these women are in a film I will see it.

Maybe you'll consider adding Laura Linney and Glenn Close maybe should be on your list of serious film actresses.

Vash01, thanks for putting this together. It was fun voting and reading what others have to say about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    When I think of naming the "greatest" actresses, I start with Streep and work from there. My second choice would be Cate Blanchett, even though she is still early in her career, I think she is brilliant and as gifted as Streep. I would also include Helen Mirren and Judi Dench in the "Greatest" category, and honestly would find it hard to select one over the other, though probably I'd give the edge to Dench. I've seen both on stage as well as in film and they are both extraordinary. If any of these women are in a film I will see it.

Maybe you'll consider adding Laura Linney and Glenn Close maybe should be on your list of serious film actresses.

Vash01, thanks for putting this together. It was fun voting and reading what others have to say about it.
    It's been my pleasure to read all the comments.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Adding a vote for Maggie Smith!
    No one plays Maggie Smith better than Maggie Smith!

One that's not on the list and that's because she doesn't really do US films is Julie Walters. She could have gone all Hollywood after Educating Rita but didn't go that route. You'd all know here as Mrs Weasley from Harry Potter but her body of work in the UK is just astounding. She's phenomenally versatile, pretty much a national treasure at this point in her career already and IMO one of the greatest actresses I have ever seen.

vCash
    Ellen Burstyn. She has an impressive, varied body of work.

And Maggie Smith and Frances McDormand.

vCash
    Maggie Smith! Yes, she would be my 3rd. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is one of my absolute favorite films of all time.

vCash
    I recently saw 'Room with a view' on DVD. Maggie Smith was in it and she was excellent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    No one plays Maggie Smith better than Maggie Smith!
    The film critic Mick LaSalle draws a distinction between "essence" or "apotheosis" acting and "chameleon acting."

Here is a short bit he wrote on the subject:

The Academy tends to like chameleonic performances (in which the actor seems to disappear) over apotheosis performances (in which the actor seems to be playing some expanded version of himself). Now, HISTORY doesn't have much use for chameleonic performances. Years later people always prefer the apotheosis performances and have no use for George Arliss as Disraeli. But no matter, the Academy never learns.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...#ixzz1WFSylS8b

And here is another writer discussing this:

In the former type of performance, actors express the essence of their personality through a character; in the latter, actors transform into someone totally different from themselves or from their usual screen image. It's usually this latter type of performance that gets the attention and the awards. Beautiful actresses like Grace Kelly transform themselves into frumps and win Oscars; great comic actors like Jack Lemmon take on a heavy dramatic role and get praised for their dramatic skills (and win Oscars too). The Myrna Loys don't get Oscar nominations, and the Cary Grants get them only for the infrequent role that calls for heavy emoting.
    http://themovieprojector.blogspot.co...een-actor.html

I think Maggie Smith is an "apotheosis" actress, expressing the essence of her personality through the character.

vCash
    I forgot about Jodie Foster. What do you all think of her place among the "greatest of our time"? I think she's excellent, but is hurt by a lack of roles in the past decade ... kind've makes us forget her greatness. Taxi Driver, The Accused, Silence of the Lambs, Five Corners, Nell, Flightplan, Sommersby (just kidding).

I love Jessica Lange, much as well, but realize that she's considered more a beautiful woman who's had a couple of great roles in her career, alongside such actresses as Faye Dunaway and Julia Roberts.

Blergh
    vCash
    Well, disdain for the Academy aside, "apotheosis" actress Maggie Smith has two Academy Awards.

Also, I don't know if these articles are entirely accurate as I don't think the majority of Oscar-nominated performances have had actors who are "chameleonic." It's just that the ones that are get the most attention. Also, who says that history doesn't have much use for "chameleonic" actors? Hollywood, maybe, because they want to make cash cows and franchises, but as for as history goes, don't those actors tend to be remembered as well? Isn't that one of the traits Johnny Depp diehards keep reminding us about (I'm not totally convinced on that front).

Anyway, in my book Inside Oscar, I remember reading about how Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier were still complaining (in the 90s!) about their losses for Best Actor to David Niven. Curtis said that the British "don't act, they just posture." Then there's Kathleen Turner who stated that she hates method actors in her memoirs because she felt it was just an excuse for the actor to be selfish and self-indulgent.

Basically, everyone has their own ideas of what constitutes good acting and I think it's possible to appreciate many different styles of acting as long as the execution is well-done.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Honorable Mentions: Keira Knightley and Rachel Weisz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    I forgot about Jodie Foster. What do you all think of her place among the "greatest of our time"? I think she's excellent, but is hurt by a lack of roles in the past decade ... kind've makes us forget her greatness. Taxi Driver, The Accused, Silence of the Lambs, Five Corners, Nell, Flightplan, Sommersby (just kidding).

I love Jessica Lange, much as well, but realize that she's considered more a beautiful woman who's had a couple of great roles in her career, alongside such actresses as Faye Dunaway and Julia Roberts.
    I agree about Jodie Foster. Perhaps 10 years ago I would have placed her in one of the great if not the greatest actresses of our time. However, her lack of good roles in the last decade has made me forget about her, probably unfairly. I did not feel that Flightplan was a strong enough role to be considered great, but The accused and Silence of the Lambs definitely were.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast