Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    I happened to come across this old thread and remembered that in 2011 in Greensboro, Shannon Wingle wore a costume that Emily Samuelson had worn just the year before:

Wingle/McKernan FD 2011 Nationals:
    http://www.pbase.com/trilby23/image/135887032

Samuelson/Bates FD 2010 Nationals
    http://www.pbase.com/trilby23/image/125070428

---------------- Trilby

vCash
    Just recently Russian ice dancers Starygina/Volobuev wore Rubleva/Shefer's old costumes for their FD at Russian Nationals:
    Starygina Rubleva

Sofia Mishina wore Irina Slutskaya's Tosca dress for her free skate:
    Mishina Slutskaya

Also, Sofia Biryukova used Viktoria Volchkova's '02 season dress for her short program last season:
    Biryukova Volchkova

And I am not quite sure but doesn't this dress Elena Ilinykh wore for TEB practice this season look like Navka's Pink Panther outfit?

vCash
    Sasha's oly Carmen costume was a reworked version of Jenny's 97 worlds rach lp costume.
    Sasha's rach lp costume from 2002 Lalique is Jenny's 97 worlds sp costume.

Kwan wore Linda's world pro costume while skating eoe exhibitions at 96 nats and worlds.

I remember a young junior skater a few years back, possibly coached by Karen, who wore mk's lavender Jeff billings 99 lp costume. Can't remember who it was though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevind85 View Post
    I have a question about these costumes. How do these skaters get them? Do they belong to the federation, coaches or do the skaters themselves donate them to younger skaters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elka View Post
    They sell them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    At least in the USA, I am pretty sure they belong to the skaters, although I have no proof. It's a guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise View Post
    Sometimes they have the same coaches or they train at the same rink, so I guess older skaters help the youngest about costums.
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I think it may be a little bit of everything. Some skater's parents pay for them, then hand them down through the coach to younger skaters. Sometimes the coaches pay for the less fortunate and allow skaters to wear them but they are kept in house and are seen on a couple of different skaters. You can now buy/sell them on the internet. Ones that are not custom made could have several versions out there.
    All of this is true, in my experience. It's common for skaters to sell old costumes, and also to give them away to younger/up and coming skaters. It's also common for coaches to do this, if they have a costume that might suit a skater and their program.

As julieann said, often, a coach might have a bunch of costumes that they let many of their skaters use for free.

This happens with elite level skater's costumes, as well as lower-level skater's costumes. Sometimes, the costumes are worn as-is. Other times, they are altered, so they may not look the same. But it's very common.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trilby23 View Post
    I happened to come across this old thread and remembered that in 2011 in Greensboro, Shannon Wingle wore a costume that Emily Samuelson had worn just the year before:

Wingle/McKernan FD 2011 Nationals:
    http://www.pbase.com/trilby23/image/135887032

Samuelson/Bates FD 2010 Nationals
    http://www.pbase.com/trilby23/image/125070428

---------------- Trilby
    This is a really old thread! Although I had started it, I had almost forgotten about it.

vCash
    Galit Chait gave a lot of her costumes to Alexandra Zaretski (who she coached).
    Galit's 04 Worlds Compulsory dress was worn by Alexandra at the 2009 Europeans.
    Galit's 06 Euro's Compulsory dress was worn by Alexandra for her 08 free dance.
    Galit's 03 OD dress was worn by Alexandra at the 08 COC in the compulsory.
    It's strange because on tv Alexandra looks slightly bigger than Galit, but maybe she had them taken out.
    It's nice to see dresses worn again. They are too lovely to be put away & never seen again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IneZR View Post
    Just recently Russian ice dancers Starygina/Volobuev wore Rubleva/Shefer's old costumes for their FD at Russian Nationals:
    Starygina Rubleva

Sofia Mishina wore Irina Slutskaya's Tosca dress for her free skate:
    Mishina Slutskaya

Also, Sofia Biryukova used Viktoria Volchkova's '02 season dress for her short program last season:
    Biryukova Volchkova
    AMAZING

vCash
    Russian Pair Volkova & Petryanin 11/12 SP have the same costume as Krasilnikova & Bezmaternikh of 05/06.

Joubert had 10/11 http://www.brian-joubert.com/images/france10.jpg the same as Yagudin 00/01.
    Last edited by LLOS; 01-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLOS View Post
    Russian Pair Volkova & Petryanin 11/12 SP have the same costume as Krasilnikova & Bezmaternikh of 05/06.

Joubert had 10/11 http://www.brian-joubert.com/images/france10.jpg the same as Yagudin 00/01.
    And Joubert had the same costume in 2004, 2006 and 2012.
    But that's off topic !

vCash
    Elizabeth Putnam in 2005-6 wore a cut down version of Naomi Lang's dress from the year L/T withdrew from everything (so she probably didn't wear it much!)
    Peter T was coaching P/W that season.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    I too remember several costumes exchanges from Lyon teams. Can't remember precisely though, maybe Orlova/Jost ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    I too remember several costumes exchanges from Lyon teams. Can't remember precisely though, maybe Orlova/Jost ?
    Lloyd Jones wore a costume of Olivier Schoenfelder, IIRC.

vCash
    Last year in Greensboro, Holly Moore/Daniel Klaber, novice dance, wore costumes for their Paso that Krylova and Ovsiannakov wore in their OD at 1996 worlds

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=kP6jfyChZOQ

Www.icedanceteam.com

The team trains with Krylova in Detroit.
    Last edited by dancergrl; 01-05-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Addition

vCash

vCash

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Thanks to AJ Skatefan's link to one of Volchkova's dresses, I found two more instances of Nina Petushkova wearing a Slutskaya hand-me-down (a Samson et Dalila exhibition dress and the Tosca dress from 2002 Euros, respectively).

vCash
    Tanith & Ben's 2004 OD costumes were worn by Xiaoyu Yu & Chen Wang for their 2009 OD I have a vague memory of their 2005 FD costumes also being passed down to another team in Detroit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123