Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Do you recognize costumes from the past worn by younger skaters?

I am not very good at this, but occasionally I do recognize a recycled costume- that is, a costume worn by a usually well known senior level skater that is being used by a younger skater(s) in a competition a few years later.

I went to see the JGP in 2001, and immediately recognized Yagudin's past costume on Andrei Griazev.

When I watched Petrova-Sikharulidze from roughly 1995, I recognized the costumes worn by Bechke & Petrov for their 1992 Olympics LP (The Nutcracker).

I had read that after Sergei's passing Katia had given away some of his costumes (probably hers too) to young pairs. I don't remember seeing them, but I am sure they were used in competitions by other skaters.
    Last edited by Vash01; 08-27-2011 at 06:53 AM.

vCash
    Jutta Muller used to do that a lot IIRC I think she even outfitted Evelyn Grossman in an costume first(?) worn by Anett Poetzsch (over 10 years previously).

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    I believe the following is correct...

Michelle Kwan peformed her EoE exhibition at 1996 Nationals and Worlds in a Bob Mackie hand-me-down from Linda Fratianne. Sasha Cohen once wore a dress that had belonged to Jenni Meno. Courtney Hicks competed in Cohen's Rach dress with the yellow skirt last season, and Nina Petushkova skated in Slutskaya's black Tosca dress during the 2008-9 season.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    The only one that comes to mind is Mao wearing Midori Ito's 1996 costume at her first senior Japanese Nationals in2002? <---you have to flick on a bit as it starts with highlights of her sp.

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    Anabelle Langlois also gives her old costumes to some competitors as well. I know that Meagan Duhamel wore her Lawrence of Arabia costume (blue) for her 2006 or 2007 long program at both Nationals and 4CC and this past season, Adriana DeSanctis wore her Mr. Monotony costume (pink with the puzzle piece) for one of her programs at nationals.
    Last edited by Chele615; 08-27-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

vCash
    In like 2005, didn't Fedor Andreev wear one of Sergei Grinkov's old costumes?

ETA: Yup. Sergei and Katia's 1994 O's SP, and Fedor's 2005 Canadians SP. (Though Fedor wore it a bit more 'open'. Dude's gotta show off his chest!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    The only one that comes to mind is Mao wearing Midori Ito's 1996 costume at her first senior Japanese Nationals in2002? <---you have to flick on a bit as it starts with highlights of her sp.
    Thanks for posting this. I had never seen Midori's performance at the 96 Japanese nationals. It was flawed, but the 3 axel was gorgeous.

Mao in 2002 looks so cute and adorable!

vCash
    Mao Asada's free program dress (see here) during 2004-05 was also borrowed from Midori Ito (see here).

Courtney Hicks sp dress last season to "Dark Eyes" (see here) was borrowed from Sasha Cohen (see here), who used it for her Rachmaninov free during Nationals and Worlds 2003.

vCash
    I don't remember the name of the skater who wore it, but there was one younger competitor at a certain competition (it may have been at Liberty two years ago or last year) who wore a Carmen costume that looked like one that may have belonged to Evan? It had sparkly gold on the shoulders, some red, and mostly black. Does anyone else remember seeing this?
    Last edited by paskatefan; 08-27-2011 at 04:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    I believe the following is correct...

Michelle Kwan peformed her EoE exhibition at 1996 Nationals and Worlds in a Bob Mackie hand-me-down from Linda Fratianne.
    Really ?
    Do you have a picture of Linda Fratianne ?

vCash
    Tara Hancherow wore Jessica Dubé's costum at last Junior Nationals. That was from their short program "Fix you" from 2008-2009 season.

Jessica Dube

Tara Hancherow

vCash
    I think the Russians handed down costumes a lot. I think I have also seen A&P's outfits get outings on other French skaters. And I remember Grushina/Goncharov wearing K&O's Yankee Polka outfit.

Not surprising when they can be so expensive. But for things like compulsories why would you go to the trouble of getting new outfits if you can find something that fits you and works for the dance.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Really ?
    Do you have a picture of Linda Fratianne ?
    Alas, no. Worse still, the only support I can find for my claim right now is a single YouTube comment. Perhaps I misremembered reading that claim in multiple places, including FSU.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    ^^ Well, I'll back your claim. I so remember seeing that dress on Linda F.! As soon as I saw Michelle in it my mind was saying 'where have I seen that dress before'. So if we be wrong, we can at least be wrong togethers.

vCash
    I have a question about these costumes. How do these skaters get them? Do they belong to the federation, coaches or do the skaters themselves donate them to younger skaters?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevind85 View Post
    do the skaters themselves donate them to younger skaters?
    They sell them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    ^^ Well, I'll back your claim. I so remember seeing that dress on Linda F.! As soon as I saw Michelle in it my mind was saying 'where have I seen that dress before'. So if we be wrong, we can at least be wrong togethers.
    I remember seeing Linda wear it, as well!
    When Michelle wore the dress, I'm sure that she had no idea that designers would soon be anxious to make costumes "just for her".

vCash
    I have a question about these costumes. How do these skaters get them? Do they belong to the federation, coaches or do the skaters themselves donate them to younger skaters?
    At least in the USA, I am pretty sure they belong to the skaters, although I have no proof. It's a guess.

vCash
    Sometimes they have the same coaches or they train at the same rink, so I guess older skaters help the youngest about costums.

vCash
    I remember several younger skaters from the Canton rink wearing Tanith's old dresses, back when she and Ben were still coached by Evillegor and Marina.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast