View Poll Results: Who do you consider the 3 greatest male movie actors of our era?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jack Nicholson

19 15.83%
  • Dustin Hoffman

28 23.33%
  • Daniel Day Lewis

32 26.67%
  • Tom Hanks

45 37.50%
  • Michael Douglas

5 4.17%
  • Sean Penn

18 15.00%
  • Anthony Hopkins

43 35.83%
  • Colin Firth

31 25.83%
  • Geoffrey Rush

18 15.00%
  • Johnny Depp

35 29.17%
  • Ben Kingsley

17 14.17%
  • Other

34 28.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    All others: Daniel Auteuil, Alan Rickman, Gene Hackman.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Ahhh - I realized I need to also pick Anthony Hopkins! It is hard to believe it was the same actor in Silence of the Lambs and Remains of the Day - just to mention 2 that are so diverse and so right!

Also Denzel Washington is incredible - in The Hurricaine, Malcolm X, Training Day and Glory - just to mention a very few.

And Leonardo DiCaprio in Revolutionary Road, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, This Boy's Life, Shutter Island - so many
    Too many great actors to choose from! But I guess that is a good thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Pitt is able to do comedy, romance and drama very very well. He's a very versatile actor and think just don't think of him as an excellent actor. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is one of his best performances in my opinion along with Kalifornia.
    I have not seen either of these movies.

vCash
    Greatest film actor today I have to go for Daniel Day Lewis. He's simply brilliant. After him I'd pick Ben Kingsley, and after him either Colin Firth or Geoffrey Rush.

A couple of other actors that I think fall into the "great actor" category would be Jude Law, Johnny Depp, Sean Penn.

I think Adrien Brody is a brilliant actor and belongs on the list. Have you seen him in Midnight in Paris? He won the Oscar for The Pianist.

I love Tom Hanks and think he's a wonderful actor but I think of him as one of the "greatest male movie stars" rather than one of the "greatest male actors in the movies" - to me there's a difference.

Vash01, again, thanks for the fun poll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Greatest film actor today I have to go for Daniel Day Lewis. He's simply brilliant. After him I'd pick Ben Kingsley, and after him either Colin Firth or Geoffrey Rush.

A couple of other actors that I think fall into the "great actor" category would be Jude Law, Johnny Depp, Sean Penn.

I think Adrien Brody is a brilliant actor and belongs on the list. Have you seen him in Midnight in Paris? He won the Oscar for The Pianist.

I love Tom Hanks and think he's a wonderful actor but I think of him as one of the "greatest male movie stars" rather than one of the "greatest male actors in the movies" - to me there's a difference.

Vash01, again, thanks for the fun poll.
    IMO DDL and Tom Hanks are both phenomenal actors, extremely versatile.

I loved Adrien Brody in The Pianist so much that none of his roles after that came close to it. He was absolutely brilliant. I don't think he has gotten great roles after The Pianist. I even thought that movie should have won the Best Picture Oscar instead of Chicago, but that's another topic. He has only a tiny role in Midnight in Paris. I do want to see 'Cadillac Records'.

As I wrote earlier, I was limited by the number of options available to set up the poll. I love Denzel Washington, and should have placed him instead of Michael Douglas on the poll.

vCash
    Love Dustin Hoffmann, Sean Penn and Anthony Hopkins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Love Dustin Hoffmann, Sean Penn and Anthony Hopkins.
    OH !?
    Those are my choices !

Besides, I love Jake Gillenhal (sp ?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    My son and I had this exact conversation a week or so ago....Who is really really good? My son maintains that Brad Pitt is good and one of the most underrated in Hollywood today. He said it's a shame he was so pretty, or he would be more respected. I can see it although I'd never thought of him myself.

Brad Pitt is certainly under-rated. In Burn after Reading he plays the ditiziest, vacant, shallow gym worker.

Javier Bardem and William F. Macy. Both excellent actors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    Brad Pitt is certainly under-rated. In Burn after Reading he plays the ditiziest, vacant, shallow gym worker.

Javier Bardem and William F. Macy. Both excellent actors
    I agree about both (Bardem and Macy)

vCash
    Fast Times At Ridgemont High is now on VH1, and is a perfect example of Sean Penn's versatility. He gives the essential comedic performance as stoner Jeff Spicoli. Who would have known that he would go on to play such diverse roles as the juvenile delinquent in Bad Boys, the muscled troubled son of hoodlum Brad Whitewood in At Close Range, a special needs father in I Am Sam, the tattooed grieving father in Mystic River, to the spot-on performance as Harvey Milk (where he gets to swap spit with James Franco!! I'm SO jealous!). He's given 30 years of great performances.

vCash
    Ralph Fiennes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    Ralph Fiennes.
    I liked him a lot in The English Patient. I thought he was good in the Constant Gardner also. I have not seen a lot of his movies though. I did see Sunshine, but didn't like the movie. I think he got Oscar nom for Schindler list (Suporting) and TEP (best lead). Definitely a very good actor.

vCash
    Glad to see Sir Anthony leading the pack. To go from Hannibal Lecter to a repressed English butler to C. S. Lewis, all in the space of two years, is no mean feat.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins and Ralph Fiennes get my vote (with Morgan Freeman in 4th)

vCash
    Penn has a tendency to overact at times (albeit not as bad as the awful Al Pacino), but he has delivered some fine, diverse performances.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Honorable mentions: Christopher Walken and Clive Owen

vCash
    The more I see Christoph Waltz, the more I think he has the potential to one of the greatest if he doesn't get totally typecast and starts getting the roles he deserves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The more I see Christoph Waltz, the more I think he has the potential to one of the greatest if he doesn't get totally typecast and starts getting the roles he deserves.
    He is a really good actor. I too hope he gets more roles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I loved Adrien Brody in The Pianist ....He has only a tiny role in Midnight in Paris.
    A tiny role but as we like to say in my house "he gave away the secret!" - no one in the film could match that performance (and I absolutely loved the film). I think his short bit as Dali was sparkling and the "acting highlight" of the film. If I had my way he'd get a best supporting actor for that bit.

vCash
    Same criteria as for women: must be able to dance, sing, comedy, drama, musicals, classics, theatre, etc.
    - Charlie Chaplin
    - James Cagney
    - Peter Sellers

Other great actors:
    John Gielgud
    Jean Gabin
    Toto
    S.L. Olivier
    Alec Guinness
    Peter Ustinov
    Spenser Tracy
    Toshiro Mifuni