View Poll Results: Who do you consider the 3 greatest male movie actors of our era?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jack Nicholson

19 15.83%
  • Dustin Hoffman

28 23.33%
  • Daniel Day Lewis

32 26.67%
  • Tom Hanks

45 37.50%
  • Michael Douglas

5 4.17%
  • Sean Penn

18 15.00%
  • Anthony Hopkins

43 35.83%
  • Colin Firth

31 25.83%
  • Geoffrey Rush

18 15.00%
  • Johnny Depp

35 29.17%
  • Ben Kingsley

17 14.17%
  • Other

34 28.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Adding in Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon, Jude Law, Edward Norton Jr and Denzel Washington....although from the list, Johnny Depp, Colin Firth and Tom Hanks got my votes.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Sean Penn (Numero Uno!!), Johnny Depp, and Matt Damon.

vCash
    Maybe it is an age thing, but I still think that Dustin Hoffman has done incredible work -- The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Rain Man, and then his comedic work with Tootsie, Meet the Fockers and Kung Fu Panda, and some excellent, nuanced acting in Kramer vs. Kramer. Two Academy Awards as best actor, and a bunch of nominations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stanhope View Post
    For the other two, I'm going to go with actors from the younger generation: Ryan Gosling and Leonardo DiCaprio. ... I've never really seen these two do much comedy, so if they could both take comedic roles and do well, I'd put them in the same league as Mr. Hanks.
    Leo, speaking of Hanks, was pretty memorable and funny as Hanks' foil in "Catch Me if You Can", but yeh other than that I don't remember him doing comedy. LD already has an enormous resume of great performances, and for me at least he most disappears into a role ... unlike some others, even greats like Nicholson, DiCaprio makes me forget that it's "DiCaprio ACT-ING" when I'm watching him.

vCash
    I'd include DeNiro and Al Pacino, even though the latter's Oscar winning performance makes me cringe.

vCash
    I voted for Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks and Other for both Ryan Gosling and Leonardo Dicaprio.

The only Geoffrey Rush movie I've been is POTC

vCash
    I voted for Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins and other. My other actor is the GREAT Gary Oldman. I think Oldman is one of the most underrated actors in history, period.

I voted for Hanks and Hopkins because they are do anything, comedy, romance, drama...you name it they can do it.

I wanted to add Brad Pitt. I think Mr. Pitt is underrated. His body work is so good. He is a very very versatile actor. In a matter of 2 years Pitt did 12 Monkeys, Seven, Kalifornia and Legends of the Fall.
    Last edited by topaz; 08-26-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I've always loved Jeff Bridges so he is my top choice. I like actors that disappear into their roles so my other two choices would be Gary Oldman and Jeffrey Wright (I think he is the greatest living African-American actor.)

vCash
    I went with other for all three....

Robert Downey Jr.--is incredibly versatile

Russell Crowe--I know he's a jerk in real life, but he makes a lot of good films

Leo DiCaprio--building an outstanding resume of very watchable films

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post

Russell Crowe--I know he's a jerk in real life, but he makes a lot of good films

Leo DiCaprio--building an outstanding resume of very watchable films
    Russell Crowe maybe a jerk but an incredible actor his is.

I think Mel Gibson is very good actor but a nasty human being. The same way I feel about Morgan Freeman. Freeman is a great actor but I have issues with him with dating his step granddaughter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I voted for Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks and Other for both Ryan Gosling and Leonardo Dicaprio.

The only Geoffrey Rush movie I've been is POTC
    I suggest you see 'Shine' for his Oscar winning performance, and 'The king's speech' for his Oscar nominated performance. I think he has one more Oscar nom, but I can't remember the name of the movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post

Can't disagree with either one of these. As far as I'm concerned the worst thing that happened to Russell Crowe is that he became a "star". Whether he wanted to or not. Damn Gladiator. Because I think that's the one that did him in.

On a totally different actor. Jack Nicholson. I don't think he's done any "acting" in years. He's just being Jack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I suggest you see 'Shine' for his Oscar winning performance, and 'The king's speech' for his Oscar nominated performance. I think he has one more Oscar nom, but I can't remember the name of the movie.
    Two more: Quills and Shakespeare in Love.

Another one of his that's well worth seeing is Children of the Revolution, with an eye-popping cast that includes Judi Davis, Sam Neill, F. Murray Abraham, and Rachel Griffiths.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post

I wanted to add Brad Pitt. I think Mr. Pitt is underrated. His body work is so good. He is a very very versatile actor. In a matter of 2 years Pitt did 12 Monkeys, Seven, Kalifornia and Legends of the Fall.

My son and I had this exact conversation a week or so ago....Who is really really good? My son maintains that Brad Pitt is good and one of the most underrated in Hollywood today. He said it's a shame he was so pretty, or he would be more respected. I can see it although I'd never thought of him myself.

I'm glad someone mentioned Damon. I think he's a wonderful actor.

vCash
    I think Pitt does good work when he has the right role. He was very good in Benjamin Button (though some argue it was the make up that deserved the credit). I was very impressed by his work in Tree of Life (though I hated the movie). Overall, I would not rank him along with some of the great actors, but he does have an Oscar nom for Button, and is likely to get one this year for Tree.

vCash
    but he does have an Oscar nom for Button, and is likely to get one this year for Tree.
    Button was his second nom.

He also has one for 12 Monkeys.

vCash
    I think the only actor on the list that I could characterize as a true chameleon is Daniel Day Lewis.

vCash
    Crowe was also great in The Insider, I wasn't happy he lost the Oscar.

I also agree with Jim Carey in Liar Liar; often gets over looked as good acting but I think comedy can be just as challenging. He was also great in Eternal Sunshine as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Tom Hanks is so so so so so good - you don't even know he is good because it seems like it is just him each time despite the range required of him. He is incredibly versatile and always believable.
    Exactly. You said it better than I could. For me, it all started when I saw him in Big. I actually thought he was that 13-year-old kid. Then he simply was Andrew Beckett, Forrest Gump, Jim Lovell, Chuck Noland, etc....I mean, any actor that can make me cry over a volleyball being lost at sea has to be good.

vCash
    I think Pitt does good work when he has the right role. He was very good in Benjamin Button (though some argue it was the make up that deserved the credit). I was very impressed by his work in Tree of Life (though I hated the movie). Overall, I would not rank him along with some of the great actors, but he does have an Oscar nom for Button, and is likely to get one this year for Tree.
    Pitt is able to do comedy, romance and drama very very well. He's a very versatile actor and think just don't think of him as an excellent actor. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is one of his best performances in my opinion along with Kalifornia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast