View Poll Results: Who do you consider the 3 greatest male movie actors of our era?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jack Nicholson

19 15.83%
  • Dustin Hoffman

28 23.33%
  • Daniel Day Lewis

32 26.67%
  • Tom Hanks

45 37.50%
  • Michael Douglas

5 4.17%
  • Sean Penn

18 15.00%
  • Anthony Hopkins

43 35.83%
  • Colin Firth

31 25.83%
  • Geoffrey Rush

18 15.00%
  • Johnny Depp

35 29.17%
  • Ben Kingsley

17 14.17%
  • Other

34 28.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Who do you consider the 3 greatest male actors of our time?

Looking at only the male actors that are currently acting, who do you think are the 3 greatest of our time? I have not included actors like Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, etc. because it is tough to compare the great ones from different era.

You can use any criteria you want to define greatness, but the way I selected these is -

Consistently great performances in multiple movies. Most of them have won Oscars (some of them more than once), but winning an Oscar should not be the sole criterion for greatness, IMO.

Due to the limit of 12, I had to exclude some deserving actors like Philip Seymore Hoffman, Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, etc.

vCash
    "Other" ... Kevin Spacey and Leonardo DiCaprio. Those two are astoundingly versatile.

For those on your list, I'd go with DDL.

Sean Penn chews the scenery like no other since William Shatner.

vCash
    Tom Hanks, for sure. The man is hilarious and is also a fine dramatic actor (see Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, heck...even his Oscar speech for Philadelphia should have won an Oscar). He also produces amazing works (i.e. Band of Brothers).

For the other two, I'm going to go with actors from the younger generation: Ryan Gosling and Leonardo DiCaprio. Ryan has definitely proven his worth in movies such as Lars and the Real Girl and Blue Valentine. I thought Leo was fantastic in Revolutionary Road, and he has really turned into a great leading man. I can also never forget his great performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I've never really seen these two do much comedy, so if they could both take comedic roles and do well, I'd put them in the same league as Mr. Hanks.

vCash
    Add me as another "other" vote for Leo. He's amazingly versatile.
    I also went with Tom Hanks and Johnny Depp. I think both are terrific.
    Last edited by Habs; 08-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Just me
    vCash
    This was hard, but in the end I went with Daniel Day Lewis, Tom Hanks and Anthony Hopkins. Any one of those names will draw my interest to a movie.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I did think of Leo and Spacey, but I had to make some difficult choices. I wish we could name 15 on the poll.

I also had to drop out Philipe Seymore-Hoffman, to make room for Johnny Depp.

I love Ryan Gosling. May be we need another poll for the relatively younger actors. All those on this poll are rather 'old'.

It was much harder to create this poll than I had anticipated.

vCash
    I voted DDL, Tom Hanks, and Anthony Hopkins, but would have voted for Robert De Niro if he were on the list...

vCash
    Morgan Freeman, Daniel Day Lewis, Geoffrey Rush. And I really like Leo, Anthony Hopkins, and Colin Firth, as well. Colin was unbelievable in The King's Speech(as was Rush), but he still tends to get the type cast uptight roles, and he isn't quite as versatile as some.

vCash
    I just re-watched Inception and was very much impressed by Leo. He's been in a boatload of great movies in the past couple of decades - definitely worth mentioning among the greats.

My other choice was Johnny Depp, simply for his portrayal of Jack Sparrow

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I voted DDL, Tom Hanks, and Anthony Hopkins, but would have voted for Robert De Niro if he were on the list...
    That's another one I missed. Thanks for pointing that out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Morgan Freeman, Daniel Day Lewis, Geoffrey Rush. And I really like Leo, Anthony Hopkins, and Colin Firth, as well. Colin was unbelievable in The King's Speech(as was Rush), but he still tends to get the type cast uptight roles, and he isn't quite as versatile as some.
    Morgan Freeman 100%! He is just so likeable and so amazing at what he does. Also voted for Sean Penn(the man has an amazing talent IMO) and the others a toss up but I took Johnny Depp. Amazingly versatile, so gifted and not to hard on the eyes(that's what clinched it)

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Morgan Freeman, Daniel Day Lewis, Geoffrey Rush.
    I didn't think of Morgan Freeman. Make him 3a on my list.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Even though their careers have slowed down, Gérard Depardieu, Daniel Auteuil, Max Von Sydow, Al Pacino, and Robert De Niro should also have been on this list. They can all still deliver the goods. Javier Bardem should have been on the list too.

Depardieu would probably be my first choice, with Rush and Day Lewis right up there too. Ask me another day, though, and I might rank everyone differently.

vCash
    I have to agree with all the men on that list and all the others not on that list, we have a great crop of young actors. My mom thought they all died with Henry Fonda, I told her she was wrong.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Where's David Hasselhoff?

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Ed Norton, Denzel Washington, and Jim Carrey (in serious roles)
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    In terms of versatility, I have to say Sean Penn and Ben Kingsley.

vCash
    Tom Hanks is so so so so so good - you don't even know he is good because it seems like it is just him each time despite the range required of him. He is incredibly versatile and always believable.

I also voted for Colin Firth - who is amazing in "The King's Speech" and "A Single Man" among others -and although I agree that his roles have not required as much of a range - what is going on behind his eyes even in films like "Love Actually" is fantastic.

For my 3rd I chose the incredible Ben Kingsley but I could have gone with Johnny Depp for his wonderful range of roles from Edward Scissorhands to Ed Wood and then to Gilbert Grape. I love that he hasn't relied on his good looks but instead has made such interesting choices.

Actually there are many good actors in here.

I did NOT choose Daniel Day Lewis because although sometimes his work is very good - sometimes I find it apallingly bad - as in "Gangs of New York".

Also I remember when I was young thinking he was great in "In the Name of the Father" until I did a workshop with Keith Johnstone where he pointed out that in that movie you spent your time watching it thinking 'What a good actor Daniel Day Lewis Is" but so much of the time thinking "Please let things work out for that poor man" about the Dad - Pete Posselthwait's character. Honestly that moment in that workshop was an epiphany for me of how I think about acting. And that is why when I read this thread I thought of Tom Hanks right away.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Other=Robert DeNiro, Edward Norton
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Where's David Hasselhoff?
    Don't scoff at the Hoff!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast