vCash

Amazon Customer Service - How to Complain?

I'm having a *really* bad experience with Amazon customer service, as in "cut and paste" email responses that say how much they want to be my friend while completely ignoring the content of my complaint.

Does anyone know of an email or phone number that reaches the higher-ups at Amazon administration? I looked online and found this site: http://amazoncustomerservice.blogspo...2007/12/8.html
    but it's a couple of years old and doesn't appear to have been updated.

I also found something called "askville.com" which Amazon cleverly appears to have purchased to tell everyone wanting to complain to go through the Amazon website

Thanks for any suggestions!
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Consumerist blog to the rescue!

"Executive customer service" can be reached here: ecr@amazon.com

You can actually get them to call you here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...ode=&skip=true

From other Consumerist posts, it doesn't seem like people have any trouble reaching a live person from that phone service.

Good luck! Usually Amazon's really good about customer service. Too bad they can't really do anything about third party sellers, and I've heard their service with the Kindle can be touch and go...

vCash
    Great blog! Thanks for the link.

vCash
    The phone service is GREAT. My experience (several times) with the email responses is just like yours -- I'm not convinced that the person who read the email ever understood it, because the responses were lame, and the subsequent responses were worse. The customer service person on the phone got the issue right away, and fixed it right away.

From the peculiar wording in some of the emails, I'm pretty sure they've contracted them out to some company overseas staffed by folks who kind of, sort of, vaguely understand English, and who have little or nothing in the way of real customer service skills. (And neither of the issues I had trouble with were in the least fuzzy -- in one case they sent a book that was different than the one ordered, and the other involved an item that arrived with a broken part.)

vCash
    Huh strange, a few years ago they sent me the wrong DVDs... I emailed them using the forms on their website and within a week they had sent me both an apology and replacements. Must have gone downhill since then!

vCash
    Ajax -- what they didn't seem to get about my wrong book order via email is that they sent the correct title by the wrong author -- got John Grisham's The Firm rather than a textbook called The Firm. The woman on the phone understood immediately.

vCash
    Brilliant, thanks everyone! Barbk, I think you are totally right in that the email is handled by people who don't understand what they're reading. Here are two excerpts from the most recent message I received (I was asking them to renew the order and re-send the merchandise):

Regrettably, some packages are returned as undeliverable through no fault of the customer. Occasionally, the following situations may occur:

-- The label may have become smudged or torn in transit, so that the carrier no longer had a complete shipping address.

-- The carrier may have accidentally delivered the package to an incorrect address (an address other than what was on the shipping label)
    and

However to compensate this inconvenience, if you wish please place a new order for this items with our retail store us "Express" shipping and write back to us with the order number, so that we will waive or refunded the complete shipping charge for the order.
    Now...which one was cut and pasted out of the customer service response manual, and which one was the person actually writing something themselves? Hmmm, I wonder
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Bumped for an update. It looks like the cut-and-paste customer "service" reps have also been assigned to the "ecr@amazon" email address, because I got a response from them today (after they ignored my previous email). More cut-and-paste baloney, along with another illiterate original paragraph, followed by a cut-and-pasted line to the effect that this is their final offer to settle the matter (an offer which is no different from what I rejected before). I think it's time for an in-person phone call......

vCash
    As a seller on Amazon, I completely empathize with your problem. Whenever we have an issue we also get the "cut and paste" procedure. At one point I sent a personal letter to Jeff Bezos - to no effect.

I find the trick is to be persistent. Include phrases such as "Please respond to my specific problem" and "I'm sure you meant to be more helpful with my problem". Be sure to include your specific order number. Be very detailed and specific about the problem. (I'm sure you have done all this). I find that when I have done this about 4 times and made sure to let them know that my question has not been answered and my problem has not been solved, I finally get some sort of meaningful response.

If I find someone who seems to have a brain, I always compliment them and ask if there is a way I can contact them directly if I have another problem.

For now - Try the phone call. Make sure you have your Order number.

Question - Did you order directly from Amazon or is this a used copy from one of their vendors?
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 09-04-2011 at 05:28 AM.

vCash
    These items are ordered directly from Amazon. At least they will be if I ever get them

vCash
    I am so over Amazon. I used to sell stuff on there. I had a great rating, and I sold somethng while out of town. I called my Dad to throw it in the mail and sent an email to the buyer telling him if he needed a printed reciept I would get him one, once I got home. The guy emailed me that it was fine and no need to do anything more. He even sent me an email saying everything was great. About 3 months later I got an email from Amazon saying they are suspending my account for not mailing the item on time. I sent them all the emails and tried to explain why I didn't use the print out label. They charged my credit card the amount the item was sold for.
    From what I know this has happened to a lot of other people also. So I'm out a camera and the amount I sold it for.