Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
    My brother lives in Williamsburg, VA and his law school has decided to close Friday and Monday already. I talked him into coming up to the DC area tomorrow evening, since I don't think it will be as bad here. We are a couple of West Coast kids and hurricane newbies, so we're not really sure how to handle this.
    There is only one thing you need in the event a hurricane is coming. ALCOHOL. Lots of it.

J/K Kinda...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    other weather is also coming in to the Carolinas from the west. Please be safe.

Thank you! Appreciate the concern.

I moved here the week Hurricane Hugo hit. Went with friends to a grocery store that was using generators for the frozen and chilled sections and hand cranking the registers. We positioned one guy (with cart) in the checkout line. it wrapped around the inside wall of the store...twice. The rest of us ran up and down the aisle, like we were on "Supermarket Sweep". Bread and milk were gone, as were candles, and charcoal. I stocked up on cereal. A woman asked me why, since there was no milk. I asked her if she'd ever eaten dry cereal before. Once she thought about it, she grabbed 4 boxes.

vCash
    They're predicting massive power outages in the NY/NJ area as the hurricane plows on through. I have well water and so with no electricity, I have no water---that means no bathing, and no flushing toilets. I went out today and bought lots of water.

I am VERY worried about my daughter and her family (husband and two kids under 5) who are in the Hamptons on LI visiting friends. I called her last night and urged her to return to her apartment in NY ASAP, but she pooh-poohed my concerns. She said she isn't going to leave until Saturday, and that could put her stuck in a massive traffic jam heading out of the Island into the city just as the hurricane starts to hit. My son couldn't convince her to leave either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    There is only one thing you need in the event a hurricane is coming. ALCOHOL. Lots of it.

J/K Kinda...
    Thanks, I'm guessing that the liquor store is probably going to be the first stop he wants to make when I pick him up tomorrow night.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    They're predicting massive power outages in the NY/NJ area as the hurricane plows on through. I have well water and so with no electricity, I have no water---that means no bathing, and no flushing toilets. I went out today and bought lots of water.
    Fill all bathtubs and any buckets you have, too.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Yes, if you have well water then fill any and all bathtubs! You can use that water to refill the tank of your toilet so you still have a working toilet.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
    My brother lives in Williamsburg, VA and his law school has decided to close Friday and Monday already. I talked him into coming up to the DC area tomorrow evening, since I don't think it will be as bad here. We are a couple of West Coast kids and hurricane newbies, so we're not really sure how to handle this.
    You may have the power out for a couple of days, so stock up on food and entertainment. The biggest problem in the DC area is always traffic. Stay off the roads if you can. Downed trees and powerlines, no traffic lights, and overflowing creeks and sewers will make driving hazardous if the storm hits as predicted.

vCash
    I'm in Williamsburg, VA right now, and going home to Newport News tomorrow. I think NY-NJ-PA are in for worse than VA will get, because they've had a LOT more rain than we have over the past month. The saturated ground means more flooding, and more trees down, so more power lines down. In 2003, when Isabelle hit here, the main issue was that we'd had so much rain in the few weeks preceding the hurricane, trees were all ready to fall!

Check your local government sites for storm surge maps, and if you're in a flood-prone area, prepare or evacuate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    My mom keeps calling me. She wants us to drive to Western PA and wait out the storm to stay safe. I don't know what to do. I don't want to take such extreme precautions like that, only to have the storm go out to sea. It's confusing.
    If you can, go. Better be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Fill all bathtubs and any buckets you have, too.
    Along with these, if you have a top-loading washing machine, set it to the highest level and fill it with cold water on the soak option. I should note though, that if you fill your tub and washing machine with extra water, don't use it for drinking water. Use it for flushing and general washing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    If you can, go. Better be safe than sorry.

Along with these, if you have a top-loading washing machine, set it to the highest level and fill it with cold water on the soak option. I should note though, that if you fill your tub and washing machine with extra water, don't use it for drinking water. Use it for flushing and general washing.
    I think we're going to. You're right - better to be safe even if it does mean dropping some $$ at a hotel. Our biggest concern is the power outages. A few hours are OK, but when you're talking about a day or days without power, that gets really scary.

vCash
    I think we're going to. You're right - better to be safe even if it does mean dropping some $$ at a hotel. Our biggest concern is the power outages. A few hours are OK, but when you're talking about a day or days without power, that gets really scary.
    Do you have anyone you can stay with? When these storms hit, power can be out for weeks! After Gustav we got our power back within 4 days but some areas in town went almost 2 weeks. It just depends where you are and when they get to you. I can deal with 2 or 3 days of no power but after that you start thinking about leaving but then you think "what if power comes back on tonight..." It really is just easier to leave right away and when you find out power is back you head back home. Of course, if you have to stay in a hotel then $$ may come into play, not many people can afford a hotel for more than a few days.
    -Brian

vCash
    Do you have anyone you can stay with? When these storms hit, power can be out for weeks! After Gustav we got our power back within 4 days but some areas in town went almost 2 weeks. It just depends where you are and when they get to you. I can deal with 2 or 3 days of no power but after that you start thinking about leaving but then you think "what if power comes back on tonight..." It really is just easier to leave right away and when you find out power is back you head back home. Of course, if you have to stay in a hotel then $$ may come into play, not many people can afford a hotel for more than a few days.
    Ah, that sounds like a nightmare. The best I can do at this point is pray that it's not out that long. All of my relatives, parents, in-laws, siblings, children live in the tri-state area. I don't think it would do me any better to stay with them. My hope is that we can camp out at a hotel for 1-2 nights, I'll call a neighbor and see how things are going, and then hopefully head home by Monday.

Of course, my real hope is that somehow it all gets blown out into the Atlantic! Not likely...

vCash
    Well you can also stay in a hotel for a night or two and then begin calling family. Find out who gets power first and go there if you are still without.
    -Brian

vCash
    So, are your parents leaving, too? Since you're heeding her advice, I would hope they're also leaving.

vCash
    Well you can also stay in a hotel for a night or two and then begin calling family. Find out who gets power first and go there if you are still without.
    Yeah, that's a good suggestion too. I need plans A-Z for this one!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    So, are your parents leaving, too? Since you're heeding her advice, I would hope they're also leaving.
    Yes. We're heading to the same place.

vCash
    Yeah, that's a good suggestion too. I need plans A-Z for this one!
    Glad to help. After living in Louisiana through the 2005 and 2008 Hurricane season, I have many ideas to share. lol
    -Brian

vCash
    Glad to help. After living in Louisiana through the 2005 and 2008 Hurricane season, I have many ideas to share. lol
    Oh yes, I'm sure you do.

Let's hope we're not in for anything that's even remotely close to that.

vCash
    Charge up your cell phones and any other hand held devices to the max now! A car charger for cell phones is helpful too. DeWalt makes a really nice rechargeable incandescent lamp (probably can't find now...). Also, max out your automatic ice maker, back up your computer, have all flashlights ready and as was mentioned fill up every available container with water. If you can fill up the gas tanks in the cars (went up here .15 today and not even in harms way). I have my local elec/gas recovery time phone number stored on my cell phone.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Thanks for the tip about the bathtub/bucket.

Now, if someone could convince my daughter to leave LI right away....

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast