Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene

vCash

Exclamation Hurricane Irene

It's comin', folks. Hang on tight! I can't believe we're getting this the same week as a 5.8 earthquake. What are the chances??

http://www.weather.com/ - Acording to this website, Irene will make landfall in North Carolina and continue up the coast through Eastern Virginia as a Category 3 Hurricane. Please stay safe down there, guys!

From there it looks like it will hit Maryland, Delaware, Eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, and all of New England as a Category 2 Hurricane, before tapering off into a tropical storm.

This has the potential to cause way more damage than anything caused by the earthquake. My mom keeps calling me. She wants us to drive to Western PA and wait out the storm to stay safe. I don't know what to do. I don't want to take such extreme precautions like that, only to have the storm go out to sea. It's confusing.

vCash
    Be safe.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    City by City preview

Be careful and stay safe.

vCash

Unhappy

Some of the rain bands from Irene are giving us a deluge right now & have been doing so off and on for most of the day. This pattern should continue for most of the day & into tonight.

The forecast for tomorrow is for near record temps - heat index at or over 105 F - along with 30% chance of afternoon showers.

Hopefully, this thing will go to sea. Unfortunately all of the forecasting models have it going into NC then CT or RI & dieing in Quebec or points north. Good luck to all the folks to the north of us. Get ready now or evacuate if needed. This thing is wet, windy, huge & merciless.

NJL

vCash
    Moms always worry, it's their job. If you have the means and can leave, I would, but I'm a worry wart. I aways expect the end of the world when it rains. I think it comes from seeing too, many tornadoes in the mid-west.

If you do decide to stay, get enough food, water, batteries and essentials for a few days and stay as safe as you can.

vCash
    I am not a meteorologist, but I do love the weather. I am also a member of a message board with numerous meteorologists and weather enthusiasts. They have all said if you can get out you should. Otherwise shelter somewhere safe, and be prepared for massive and prolonged power outages. Even if Irene does not have the intensity they say, a major concern is the storm surge. Like other storms (Ike, Katrina), this storm is huge and can push a lot more water than the intensity would seem to indicate.

Now can it recurve and miss everything? Sure. Anything is possible with the weather. I have seen a lot of concern by the professional mets over there though. If it were my family I would be telling them to leave as well.

vCash
    I live in South Florida. It's passing us as we speak ....

vCash
    My mother in law in flying in tonight from New Jersey. Good timing! My husband remembers Gloria in 1985, it looks like a similar path to that one.

vCash
    Living in North Carolina, but in Charlotte. We are enough inland that we should get a little wind and rain. My thoughts are with those much closer to the path.

vCash
    I'm in Raleigh. We'll probably get rain and some stronger winds, but not hurricane force. Usually they slow down quite a bit once they hit land, so it may not be as strong once it gets beyond NC. Stay safe, all!

vCash
    Wilmington and the local islands are buckling down -- a seasonal high tide already causes some localized street flooding in Carolina Beach without the hurricane, so depending on when Irene swings by could make a big difference. I'm hoping that the winds don't drive a lot of water up the Cape Fear river -- between that and the winds quite a few properties suffered more damage upriver than did properties down at the island in one of the last big hurricanes. They've already had to rescue a number of folks from really bad riptides today -- apparently people either don't understand or are thrill seekers, since they've been warning about the riptides for quite some time. My sister is ready to evac if necessary.

I wonder if they're going to evacuate the Rockaways, Long Beach, Gilgo and Fire Island areas of Long Island? None of these areas has much protection, and they're going to have to start early if they need to evacuate given the constraints.

At least coastal NC is quite experienced with evacuations -- I'm a lot more worried about the NYC area on that front, and particularly what is being done to provide possible shelters for people with animals, and transport that will also handle the elderly, disabled people, and pets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Wilmington and the local islands are buckling down -- a seasonal high tide already causes some localized street flooding in Carolina Beach without the hurricane, so depending on when Irene swings by could make a big difference. I'm hoping that the winds don't drive a lot of water up the Cape Fear river -- between that and the winds quite a few properties suffered more damage upriver than did properties down at the island in one of the last big hurricanes. They've already had to rescue a number of folks from really bad riptides today -- apparently people either don't understand or are thrill seekers, since they've been warning about the riptides for quite some time. My sister is ready to evac if necessary.

I wonder if they're going to evacuate the Rockaways, Long Beach, Gilgo and Fire Island areas of Long Island? None of these areas has much protection, and they're going to have to start early if they need to evacuate given the constraints.

At least coastal NC is quite experienced with evacuations -- I'm a lot more worried about the NYC area on that front, and particularly what is being done to provide possible shelters for people with animals, and transport that will also handle the elderly, disabled people, and pets.
    NYC area is used to high winds and storm surge. They get northeasters in the winter.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukia View Post
    I am not a meteorologist, but I do love the weather. I am also a member of a message board with numerous meteorologists and weather enthusiasts. They have all said if you can get out you should. Otherwise shelter somewhere safe, and be prepared for massive and prolonged power outages. Even if Irene does not have the intensity they say, a major concern is the storm surge. Like other storms (Ike, Katrina), this storm is huge and can push a lot more water than the intensity would seem to indicate.

Now can it recurve and miss everything? Sure. Anything is possible with the weather. I have seen a lot of concern by the professional mets over there though. If it were my family I would be telling them to leave as well.
    Which board do you post at? I post at Storm2K a lot.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    other weather is also coming in to the Carolinas from the west. Please be safe.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    My brother looked at what was predicted for his area Sunday/Monday (Westchester Co.) and said "I've slept through hurricanes stronger than THAT." People who've lived in Florida are apparently hard to impress....

vCash
    It went through Puerto Rico Sunday night/Monday morning when it was a tropical storm/borderline hurricane. Let me tell you, the tail end of this thing is massive and incredibly nasty. We got over 22 inches of rain in a day. And it's only bigger and stronger now.

So if you can get out, do. And be safe.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Puerto Rico was in the tail of the hurricane! I saw that on radar. The rain was just coming non stop. When Hurricane Ike hit it made landfall around Beaumont, TX. I live 3 hours East in Baton Rouge, LA but we got much more rain they they did near the center because we got stuck in the tail. It just sat over us and kept coming up from the Gulf. Not a good place to be. Winds weren't bad but flooding was awful.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I have an adrenaline junkie friend in FL who is taking a 12 hour flight into the eye of Irene tomorrow morning. He's nuts.

Everyone please be safe. They're talking about closing my husband's company on Monday and I'll certainly be working from home if it's really that bad.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I have an adrenaline junkie friend in FL who is taking a 12 hour flight into the eye of Irene tomorrow morning. He's nuts.
    Good grief. I don't get people like that. My brother's blase, but that's because he's been through Florida evacuations and what's likely to hit where he is will be little by comparison. Actively going INTO a storm? Nuts.

vCash
    My brother lives in Williamsburg, VA and his law school has decided to close Friday and Monday already. I talked him into coming up to the DC area tomorrow evening, since I don't think it will be as bad here. We are a couple of West Coast kids and hurricane newbies, so we're not really sure how to handle this.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast