Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 161
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41754
    ^^^
    I hope that this emphasis doesn't lead to injuries - and shortened careers.

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

    IceNetwork article on possible 3A for Mirai and Alissa working on triple triples
    Mirai's response: Funny....I said I liked working on triple axels...not that I was landing them -___-
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Absolutely correct. Hence, my emoticon. One skater not on there who probably has a better chance of getting a consistent quad is Dornbush, based on his technique but ironically, he's the one holding back from any pronouncements
    Based on what Tammy said, it seems like his quad isn't quite there yet. We might not see it from him this season, I'm thinking, because usually if a skater is even somewhat consistent with a new jump or combination, even if usually cheated, they will talk about it like they have already mastered it. Jmpo of course, but it seems that way, and afaict, Ricky seems to be having a hard time with the quad. He at least has a lot of other things going for him, though.

  4. #84

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Tweet from Alex Shibutani:

    This year's theme for the team building activity is the 90s. Team Urkel for the win! http://yfrog.com/kf9i9vlj
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,930
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Based on what Tammy said, it seems like his quad isn't quite there yet. We might not see it from him this season, I'm thinking, because usually if a skater is even somewhat consistent with a new jump or combination, even if usually cheated, they will talk about it like they have already mastered it. Jmpo of course, but it seems that way, and afaict, Ricky seems to be having a hard time with the quad. He at least has a lot of other things going for him, though.
    Yeah, I know. It's just I'm becoming an uber and too invested

  6. #86
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,887
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2162
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Tweet from Alex Shibutani:

    This year's theme for the team building activity is the 90s. Team Urkel for the win! http://yfrog.com/kf9i9vlj
    I LOVE THIS PHOTO. Amanda and Alex both tweeted pics of themselves earlier and I saw them when I was at the Reds game. My mom and I were cracking up and I am totally on Team Urkel!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

    "I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sage on a mountaintop
    Posts
    1,166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2044
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    This seems like a good opportunity for me to say it for the 7500th time: I HATE QUADS. I hate that talented skaters with so much going for them have to struggle with this one thing, and that a lot of people consider them flat-out failures without it. It makes no sense to me.
    AMEN to this.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,712
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    LOL, it's just once a year, and as there is an actual SEASON in figure skating, the Champs Camp dovetails nicely with skaters existing training plans, imo.

    Initially, it was in June, and it was basically a seminar on COP, training, sports med, etc. That wasn't the most productive use of skaters' time, so it was moved to August (just before the start of the season) and expanded from a seminar to include test skates and feedback.

    Now it makes sense, and probably helps the skaters quite a bit, especially the younger ones.

    That said, I do think it was at Champs Camp last year where Rachael was told to cut her hair. But hopefully most of the advice is geared to the COP world of skating - how to raise levels - and not 6.0 - add some ruffles to your costume!
    Thanks for all the info! Whoo what a relief. I'm a gymnastics fan too and the word 'camp' has taken on negative connotations since the Karolyis took over that program. It's traumatized me over the years to hear that yet another top gymnast was 'broken' at those camps.

    Champs camp-THIS sounds like a fun camp!

    Whoever told Rachael to cut her hair imo should've minded their own beeswax!

    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I don't think there is anything else like the Karolyi camp, thank goodness. It's more of a team-building type thing, rather than a selection camp, but skaers get monitored and get judging feedback on their programs, get various types of sports, nutrition, PR, etc counseling. Program monitoring, though, goes on all the time, including at skaters' home rinks.

    A lot of sports have their national teams meet up for a camp at the Olympic training center like this. I know Michael Phelps was posting about a camp there earlier in the summer.
    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by shsocu View Post
    Mirai's response: Funny....I said I liked working on triple axels...not that I was landing them -___-
    That's what I love about Mirai-she's quite honest especially about herself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Tweet from Alex Shibutani:

    This year's theme for the team building activity is the 90s. Team Urkel for the win! http://yfrog.com/kf9i9vlj
    Oh wow this is great! Thanks for posting it!
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 08-28-2011 at 06:25 AM.

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,930
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

    IceNetwork article on possible 3A for Mirai and Alissa working on triple triples
    According to FC, Mirai lands 3x's in practice 1 out of 3 times.

    I wonder what 3-3 Alissa would attempt: Probably 3t-3t or 3z-3t

  10. #90

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,552
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    Article about Christina Gao and her time off this summer (hip injury), plus some info about Ashley Wagner and Rachael Flatt: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    53
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Photos from team building at Champs Camp: http://unisports.tv/nXHzTU

  12. #92
    Awaiting Validation
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by figsrus View Post
    Photos from team building at Champs Camp: http://unisports.tv/nXHzTU
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the slide show. It gets stuck after the first few pics and then a black advertisement screen pops up. Clicking on the gallery photo doesn't show the enlarged photo either.

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    53
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the slide show. It gets stuck after the first few pics and then a black advertisement screen pops up. Clicking on the gallery photo doesn't show the enlarged photo either.
    If you use the arrows at the bottom (next to the thumbnails) it works.

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,978
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ Interesting words from Ashley in the Icenetwork article.

  15. #95

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    217
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the slide show. It gets stuck after the first few pics and then a black advertisement screen pops up. Clicking on the gallery photo doesn't show the enlarged photo either.
    I use Firefox with Adblock and Universal Sports slideshows generally don't work because of the blocked ad every 5 photos or so that the browser doesn't read or something. Safari or Chrome + Adblock work because they do pause for the ad without actually showing the ad itself. I don't know how to say it better, but hopefully this makes sense!

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,150
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yeah, the article quoted Alyssa's coach Jason Dungjen on the triple-triple combinations.

    "The toe-toe is actually all the way around and the Lutz-toe is very close. We're hoping one or both would be in the free, and maybe we'll have a back-up plan in the short. We'll see how consistent they are."

    Hopefully Jason realizes she can't do 3T+3T and 3Lz+3T in the same program, at least rule-wise.

  17. #97
    Awaiting Validation
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by whoa View Post
    I use Firefox with Adblock and Universal Sports slideshows generally don't work because of the blocked ad every 5 photos or so that the browser doesn't read or something. Safari or Chrome + Adblock work because they do pause for the ad without actually showing the ad itself. I don't know how to say it better, but hopefully this makes sense!
    Thanks, it looks like Firefox was the problem and Safari worked!

  18. #98
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    State of frustration
    Posts
    560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Yeah, the article quoted Alyssa's coach Jason Dungjen on the triple-triple combinations.

    "The toe-toe is actually all the way around and the Lutz-toe is very close. We're hoping one or both would be in the free, and maybe we'll have a back-up plan in the short. We'll see how consistent they are."

    Hopefully Jason realizes she can't do 3T+3T and 3Lz+3T in the same program, at least rule-wise.
    I'm sure he understands it. I guess good for Alissa to try to train these combos. Maybe I need another solid season of seeing her not implode every other performance to have any confidence that she should be attempting harder jump skills. Also I've never been that impressed with the runout on her jumps, and her combos are eked out anyway. Doesn't Alissa go from bad to good every other year? So this year at Nats will probably be a heartbreaker.

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,541
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    There's a poor caption on one of those photos, just saying.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  20. #100

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Heh. Seated volleyball. That's MY kind of sport.

    Also, Mary Beth Marley is utterly adorable.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •