Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    ^^^
    I hope that this emphasis doesn't lead to injuries - and shortened careers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

IceNetwork article on possible 3A for Mirai and Alissa working on triple triples
    Mirai's response: Funny....I said I liked working on triple axels...not that I was landing them -___-
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Absolutely correct. Hence, my emoticon. One skater not on there who probably has a better chance of getting a consistent quad is Dornbush, based on his technique but ironically, he's the one holding back from any pronouncements
    Based on what Tammy said, it seems like his quad isn't quite there yet. We might not see it from him this season, I'm thinking, because usually if a skater is even somewhat consistent with a new jump or combination, even if usually cheated, they will talk about it like they have already mastered it. Jmpo of course, but it seems that way, and afaict, Ricky seems to be having a hard time with the quad. He at least has a lot of other things going for him, though.

vCash
    Tweet from Alex Shibutani:

This year's theme for the team building activity is the 90s. Team Urkel for the win! http://yfrog.com/kf9i9vlj
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Based on what Tammy said, it seems like his quad isn't quite there yet. We might not see it from him this season, I'm thinking, because usually if a skater is even somewhat consistent with a new jump or combination, even if usually cheated, they will talk about it like they have already mastered it. Jmpo of course, but it seems that way, and afaict, Ricky seems to be having a hard time with the quad. He at least has a lot of other things going for him, though.
    Yeah, I know. It's just I'm becoming an uber and too invested

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post

This year's theme for the team building activity is the 90s. Team Urkel for the win! http://yfrog.com/kf9i9vlj
    I LOVE THIS PHOTO. Amanda and Alex both tweeted pics of themselves earlier and I saw them when I was at the Reds game. My mom and I were cracking up and I am totally on Team Urkel!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    This seems like a good opportunity for me to say it for the 7500th time: I HATE QUADS. I hate that talented skaters with so much going for them have to struggle with this one thing, and that a lot of people consider them flat-out failures without it. It makes no sense to me.
    AMEN to this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    LOL, it's just once a year, and as there is an actual SEASON in figure skating, the Champs Camp dovetails nicely with skaters existing training plans, imo.

Initially, it was in June, and it was basically a seminar on COP, training, sports med, etc. That wasn't the most productive use of skaters' time, so it was moved to August (just before the start of the season) and expanded from a seminar to include test skates and feedback.

Now it makes sense, and probably helps the skaters quite a bit, especially the younger ones.

That said, I do think it was at Champs Camp last year where Rachael was told to cut her hair. But hopefully most of the advice is geared to the COP world of skating - how to raise levels - and not 6.0 - add some ruffles to your costume!
    Thanks for all the info! Whoo what a relief. I'm a gymnastics fan too and the word 'camp' has taken on negative connotations since the Karolyis took over that program. It's traumatized me over the years to hear that yet another top gymnast was 'broken' at those camps.

Champs camp-THIS sounds like a fun camp!

Whoever told Rachael to cut her hair imo should've minded their own beeswax!

Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I don't think there is anything else like the Karolyi camp, thank goodness. It's more of a team-building type thing, rather than a selection camp, but skaers get monitored and get judging feedback on their programs, get various types of sports, nutrition, PR, etc counseling. Program monitoring, though, goes on all the time, including at skaters' home rinks.

A lot of sports have their national teams meet up for a camp at the Olympic training center like this. I know Michael Phelps was posting about a camp there earlier in the summer.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shsocu View Post
    Mirai's response: Funny....I said I liked working on triple axels...not that I was landing them -___-
    That's what I love about Mirai-she's quite honest especially about herself.

Oh wow this is great! Thanks for posting it!
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 08-28-2011 at 06:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

IceNetwork article on possible 3A for Mirai and Alissa working on triple triples
    According to FC, Mirai lands 3x's in practice 1 out of 3 times.

I wonder what 3-3 Alissa would attempt: Probably 3t-3t or 3z-3t

vCash
    Article about Christina Gao and her time off this summer (hip injury), plus some info about Ashley Wagner and Rachael Flatt: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Photos from team building at Champs Camp: http://unisports.tv/nXHzTU

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figsrus View Post
    Photos from team building at Champs Camp: http://unisports.tv/nXHzTU
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the slide show. It gets stuck after the first few pics and then a black advertisement screen pops up. Clicking on the gallery photo doesn't show the enlarged photo either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the slide show. It gets stuck after the first few pics and then a black advertisement screen pops up. Clicking on the gallery photo doesn't show the enlarged photo either.
    If you use the arrows at the bottom (next to the thumbnails) it works.

vCash
    ^ Interesting words from Ashley in the Icenetwork article.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    I use Firefox with Adblock and Universal Sports slideshows generally don't work because of the blocked ad every 5 photos or so that the browser doesn't read or something. Safari or Chrome + Adblock work because they do pause for the ad without actually showing the ad itself. I don't know how to say it better, but hopefully this makes sense!

vCash
    Yeah, the article quoted Alyssa's coach Jason Dungjen on the triple-triple combinations.

"The toe-toe is actually all the way around and the Lutz-toe is very close. We're hoping one or both would be in the free, and maybe we'll have a back-up plan in the short. We'll see how consistent they are."

Hopefully Jason realizes she can't do 3T+3T and 3Lz+3T in the same program, at least rule-wise.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whoa View Post
    I use Firefox with Adblock and Universal Sports slideshows generally don't work because of the blocked ad every 5 photos or so that the browser doesn't read or something. Safari or Chrome + Adblock work because they do pause for the ad without actually showing the ad itself. I don't know how to say it better, but hopefully this makes sense!
    Thanks, it looks like Firefox was the problem and Safari worked!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Yeah, the article quoted Alyssa's coach Jason Dungjen on the triple-triple combinations.

"The toe-toe is actually all the way around and the Lutz-toe is very close. We're hoping one or both would be in the free, and maybe we'll have a back-up plan in the short. We'll see how consistent they are."

Hopefully Jason realizes she can't do 3T+3T and 3Lz+3T in the same program, at least rule-wise.
    I'm sure he understands it. I guess good for Alissa to try to train these combos. Maybe I need another solid season of seeing her not implode every other performance to have any confidence that she should be attempting harder jump skills. Also I've never been that impressed with the runout on her jumps, and her combos are eked out anyway. Doesn't Alissa go from bad to good every other year? So this year at Nats will probably be a heartbreaker.

vCash
    There's a poor caption on one of those photos, just saying.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Heh. Seated volleyball. That's MY kind of sport.

Also, Mary Beth Marley is utterly adorable.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast