Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    I have to disinfect my shoes at the door of my workplace, and change them for ones that don't leave the farm at my locker. I wear a 30 year old denim jacket, ripped and bleached overalls, workboots and a tilley hat, all of which must stay at the farm. We cook a pot luck lunch about every two weeks.

Our dress code- no sandals or shirtlessness allowed.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I have to disinfect my shoes at the door of my workplace, and change them for ones that don't leave the farm at my locker. I wear a 30 year old denim jacket, ripped and bleached overalls, workboots and a tilley hat, all of which must stay at the farm. We cook a pot luck lunch about every two weeks.

Our dress code- no sandals or shirtlessness allowed.
    Okay, now I need to know where you work. I'm guessing a farm (you gave a big hint). Dairy? Cattle? Chicken?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Potatoes- River John Blue is a potato variety. I'm the resident potato expert.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    As I believe I have posted before, there is no sugar allowed in my school.

vCash
    Access to YouTube....Dept. of Homeland Security sez it's a no-no. Language translation sites are also strictly prohibited.

vCash
    Fruits have sugar. More sugar than a lot of chocolate. In order to be compliant, I recommend lots of dark chocolate bars.

The most ridiculous rule I've ever had to deal with was two schools ago. I'm allergic to bees and carry an epi pen. In the spring, I make damn sure I have it close at hand. This idiot HR representative came to us to give us a talk about how we can't have medication on our person AT ALL. I was not the only teacher with allergies--there was another bee allergy, a shellfish allergy, and a strawberry allergy. The HR representative said no, no not even epi pens! What about THE CHILDREN. The HR person was not well-received.

This rule did not last long. Of course, they also wanted to ban all medications, including cough drops and even more head scratching, tic-tacs. Although nothing was said, it was eventually just dropped due to being unenforcable and completely stupid.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Fruits have sugar. More sugar than a lot of chocolate. In order to be compliant, I recommend lots of dark chocolate bars.

The most ridiculous rule I've ever had to deal with was two schools ago. I'm allergic to bees and carry an epi pen. In the spring, I make damn sure I have it close at hand. This idiot HR representative came to us to give us a talk about how we can't have medication on our person AT ALL. I was not the only teacher with allergies--there was another bee allergy, a shellfish allergy, and a strawberry allergy. The HR representative said no, no not even epi pens! What about THE CHILDREN. The HR person was not well-received.

This rule did not last long. Of course, they also wanted to ban all medications, including cough drops and even more head scratching, tic-tacs. Although nothing was said, it was eventually just dropped due to being unenforcable and completely stupid.
    And it would have only taken one incident for them to have their arse sued out of them for being so irresponsible.

Back in about 1985 when I was a student on summer vacation employment, I had the manager of the business library I was working at told me not to wear pants (I was wearing them that day). She felt it being a library that only dresses and skirts were appropriate. Being a 19 year old on vacation employment there wasn't much I could do. But really it was quite discriminatory to tell a female that she couldn't wear pants.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Bathroom breaks.

I work at Comcast.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    what do I have to do to keep my bag of potatos from going soft/bad so quickly after I buy them.

Continue thread.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    What are the best potatoes for roasting?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Language translation sites are also strictly prohibited.
    Why?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Why?
    Department of Homeland Security rules...even Google Translate is prohibited. You can translate using Outlook - our Outlook has a special feature that allows you to translate languages. But you can't access translation sites - a big no-no warning that says "PROHIBITED BY US COAST GUARD and DHS" in a big red ugly sign.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I had the manager of the business library I was working at told me not to wear pants (I was wearing them that day).
    Back in the late 1980's, a female coworker wore an expensive designer pantsuit to the office one day. Totally appropriate, but the creepy VP made a comment to her about pants not being "professional enough for women" in the office. She said to me later, "If he wasn't looking at my ***, he wouldn't have noticed." lol

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    Due to security concerns, we're not allowed to bring in cameras of any type, cellphones with cameras, iPods, thumb drives, Furbys , or anything that can be used to record. I use my building pass to get through the gate, the front door, the door to my floor, and to log on to my computer. I frequently see a colleague with his seizure dog. Larry the dog is required to wear his building pass, complete with photo ID, on his collar. He doesn't need to badge in separately from his owner, though.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    But really it was quite discriminatory to tell a female that she couldn't wear pants.
    I couldn't wear pants to school for the first three years of school- it was awful.
    I see London,
    I see France,
    I see Barbie's underpants!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    what do I have to do to keep my bag of potatos from going soft/bad so quickly after I buy them.
    Keep them out of the light (make sure they haven't greened at the store) and store them in a cool place. The colder they are stored at, the sweeter they will be, so the fridge is fine, and they will keep for months. Our storage here runs at 3C (38F).

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    What are the best potatoes for roasting?
    My personal preference is actually for red potatoes, because I like them when they are moister, but most people like a drier potato.

You can't trust a "Russet" label- some russet varieties are lovely dry bakers, but a few varieties (Russet Norkotah) are soggy and tasteless and turn dark after they are cooked. Russet Burbank is very nice, and Yukon Golds or other yellow potatoes are my favourite drier types.

vCash
    Pretty much anything goes in my office. They don't monitor teh interwebz, we can wear whatever we want, if we want to leave 5-10 minutes early that's fine. This week, one of the guys brought in one of these- http://airswimmers.com/ and was flying it around the office. It's very relaxed here, which is nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Pretty much anything goes in my office. They don't monitor teh interwebz, we can wear whatever we want, if we want to leave 5-10 minutes early that's fine. This week, one of the guys brought in one of these- http://airswimmers.com/ and was flying it around the office. It's very relaxed here, which is nice.
    Same. We don't have a dress code. People do bring dogs in on occasion. There aren't any specific rules surrounding pets, but there's an unspoken assumption that you only bring in a dog that's extremely well-behaved. Most people who bring dogs in just have Fido sleeping under their desk most of the day. Kids are brought in frequently, too, and the same deal goes--just keep them out of other peoples' hair. We have a TV, guitar hero, Xbox, and extra computers around, so there are plenty of ways to make sure they're entertained.

Food at your desk is fine, people are just conscious of their co-workers. They try to avoid having stinky food at their desks, and keep that in the kitchen. My team has a bar fridge in our department that we store our lunches in, as well as beer for the occasional impromptu office social.

We have an annual chair race that goes around the office (open concept) and down the street. There are guitar hero competitions from time to time. Yoga balls sometimes go flying through the workspace. Sure, there are times when it can be difficult to focus. But I think the trade-off is worth it. We also work essentially whatever hours we like, as long as we're getting our jobs done, and are free to work from home under the same parameters.

I don't think this kind of system works everywhere, but we're a Creative company--you can't impede peoples' freedoms and expect them to do a good job. Everyone is just very respectful of the fact we don't have a lot of rules, so we don't abuse that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    We have an annual chair race that goes around the office (open concept) and down the street. There are guitar hero competitions from time to time. Yoga balls sometimes go flying through the workspace. Sure, there are times when it can be difficult to focus. But I think the trade-off is worth it. We also work essentially whatever hours we like, as long as we're getting our jobs done, and are free to work from home under the same parameters.
    We have a giant Jenga in the lunchroom. Occaisionally you hear crashes during lunchtime coming from there.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Darn, I was hoping you worked at a body farm!

But it's nice to have my preference for red potatoes validated by an expert.

I once worked at a place that wouldn't allow women to wear pants. There were only two women software engineers and we just ignored that rule. I got in trouble for it, but she didn't. It was an interesting lesson in office politics.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Well, currently I'm enjoying the wonders of part-time retail , so it's the following:
    - uniform must be worn, but if you don't have a uniform yet, it must be all black.
    - you must wear long pants. If you wear a dress, you have to wear leggings.
    - closed toe black flats
    - make up and hair must be done (you guys don't want to know how my very politically incorrect boss phrased that one)
    - no cellphones, eating or drinking on the shop floor
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12