Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Steve Jobs has resigned as chief exec. of Apple

vCash
    I read this earlier today. I had not known that he had survived pancreatic cancer. Obviously it's a serious medical condition, and it's good that he is taking care of his health. He is one of the most respected people, along with Bill Gates, in modern technology.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    It's amazing that he survived pancreatic cancer at all, that usually gets you quickly, though the liver transplant in 2009 seems to point that he didn't emerge unscathed. There are reports that the publication of his official biography has been moved up, which is also...unsettling.

Screw the stockbrokers bewailing about Apple's falling stock prices, this is a human being we're talking about. I wish him well. It's obvious he would still like to do more if not for his health.

vCash
    Poor guy.

Title-less
    vCash
    OMG, this is bad. Really bad. I hope this is not Charles Schulz all over again

vCash
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    This guy is a genius. I rarely admire anyone but I admire him. His products are always conceptually ground breaking. I hope he has many more ideas yet to offer to the world.

I hope he recovers.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This does not sound good. He always said he would remain CEO for as long as he could do his job. If he is quitting then something has happened and with his health, I think we all know what that means. Hoping for the best...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    He is one of the most respected people, along with Bill Gates, in modern technology.
    I would really dispute that Bill Gates is respected in the field of technology. His products may be ubiquitous, but Microsoft has always been a follower, not a leader, and their products are continuously fraught with problems. Microsoft has market share, but it was gained in part through predatory and unfair business tactics, and because of that they really don't have respect.

Any esteem that Gates has earned is due largely to his fairly recent activities through his foundation. He has become a generous philanthropist, but please don't mention him in the same breath as Steve Jobs, who is everything that Bill Gates could never be - a visionary, a pioneer, a standard setter.

I hope I'm reading too much into the situation and that Jobs will be with us for many more years. And whatever happens, I hope he will be at peace with it.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    This does not sound good. He always said he would remain CEO for as long as he could do his job. If he is quitting then something has happened and with his health, I think we all know what that means. Hoping for the best...
    When I saw this on the news that was the first thing I thought of.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    I like how Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal sums up the importance of the Steve Jobs announcement.

CEOs resign every day, so why is this one so meaningful?

Most people are lucky if they can change the world in one important way, but Mr. Jobs, in multiple stages of his business career, changed global technology and media in multiple ways on multiple occasions. And that changed the way people live.
    In his first act at Apple, the company he co-founded in 1976, he helped envision and catalyze the personal computer revolution. The Apple II computer he developed with Steve Wozniak wasn't the only mass-market PC released in 1977, but it was the one that had the most enduring impact.
    Jobs has dramatically changed the mobile phone industry, the music industry, the film and TV industries, the publishing industry and others.
    Now, rumors are rife that Apple is working on re-inventing another common device: the TV. The secretive company won't say a word about that, but based on Mr. Jobs' track record, nobody should be surprised if it happens.

And that's why the day Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple isn't like the day a typical CEO resigns.
    The lead WSJ article also has the following quote.

"I think his brilliance has been well-documented, but what gets forgotten is the bravery with which he's confronted his illness," said Howard Stringer, Sony Corp.'s chief executive. "For him to achieve this much success under these circumstances doubles his legacy."
    While the retirement is not unexpected, the mood here in Silicon Valley is still one of shock and sadness. I can't understate how much of an inspiration Steve Jobs is to people here. He embodies the spirit of entrepreneurship and innovation that draws people here to the Valley in a true meeting of minds. They hope that, like Steve, they too will conceive great new ideas that will change the world.

While many people here hope that Steve will continue to be around for many more years, it's worth looking at his 2005 Stanford commencement address for some words to live by.

Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.
    Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
    Bravo, Steve.

vCash
    While many people here hope that Steve will continue to be around for many more years, it's worth looking at his 2005 Stanford commencement address for some words to live by.
    I was going to post this, you beat me to it . This was shown to me in my college speech class and is one of my favorite speeches. Here's the youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc It's so inspiring, I especially like the part where he talks about quitting college, and if he had not he would not have taken the class that help him create fonts.

I know this probably means his health has taken a turn for the worse, here's hoping he makes it through.

vCash
    I was sad to hear this as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    He is one of the most respected people, along with Bill Gates, in modern technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I would really dispute that Bill Gates is respected in the field of technology.
    There is no need to tear down one man to build up another, both are unmatched pioneers in the field of computer/software technology and neither one would be where they are without the other.

vCash
    I was very sad to hear this as well, knowing what it means. I hope Steve is able to live out the rest of his days happy and at peace. He is truly an extraordinary person that has done extraordinary things.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I also had the thought--pancreatic cancer is almost never cured, because it's one of the hardest to detect. Normally by the time they realize that's what you have, you're stage IV+. I hope he has much, much time left and simply wants to make the most of it. I can't imagine running Apple is easy if you're healthy.

Zamboni Zombie
    vCash
    From my layperson's understanding there are at least two types of pancreatic cancer, the most common of which is almost always fatal. There is a rare kind that has a much better prognosis in general, and that's what Steve had/has.

That said, when I read his letter, it gave me goosebumps. I got an email message like that 5 years ago this month from a colleague who was a mentor and a second father to me. The email reported that he had stage IV brain cancer and he needed to end all his work immediately. He died two months later.

It sounds like Steve is hanging in there enough to want to contribute as chairman of the board.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

vCash
    I hope he can beat this illness. He is one of the smartest people alive. I wish him all the best.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast