vCash

"Consent and Release" with Club Registration?

This fall, my skating club is distributing a "consent and release" form with its registration. It's essentially a release to allow Skate Canada and its members to "photograph, film and/or otherwise reproduce my likeness and/or voice in the course of my enrolment and participation in programs and events conducted or sponsored by Skate Canada or my local skating club". It also grants Skate Canada the right to use the likenesses and/or voice in any media throughout the world in perpetuity, the right to edit the images/voice at their discretion. And signing the form also releases Skate Canada from any legal action arising from the use of the reproductions.

This seems awfully heavy-handed and one-sided to me. Has anyone else ever encountered something like this at their club or with their federation?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    We do it with our club and adhere to it. With the internet these days they have to cover themselves. We have had somone who didn't want their kid's photos on the official photographer's website nor her performance on the DVD and they were not included.

But what it does mean, if you don't give permission then they can't use your images and could be sued by yourself if they did.

So if you are not comfortable about it, don't sign it.

Also probably what Skate Canada are doing is they are doing one form that covers all clubs and associations, rather than clubs doing it individually. Saves time and administration.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Used to be everyone would be happy to have their picture taken for the local paper, or for the clubs' website, for example.

Now, without this form, clubs risk being sued. It's all a liability & insurance thing. Also, a lot of publications won't publish anything without a "model release" for similar reasons.

It just gives them permission to promote their own club in the media.

I think it's ridiculous that society has gotten to this point where such things are necessary - but they are.

vCash
    Well it is like here that everyone who volunteers in any sport or group that involves children are required to have a Working with Children check by law. Even staff working at ice rinks must have it. Our association has made it standard that everyone, including parents if they plan to volunteer, must have one.

If you don't have one, then the clubs and associations should not be using those people to help out at events. Although I must say there has been very little resistance to it. It is a free and most people seem happy to have it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Our club has that and you can say no. You can also say "first name only".

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Our club had something like this but you could opt-out if you don't want your photo in their marketing materials.