Thread: Butterfly jump

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash

Butterfly jump

Anybody have any tips on the regular butterfly jump? I've got the Ann Margreth Frei tape and it's really good but the move is sooo hard.

Also wondering if this move is possible on skates: Butterfly with a twist. Has anybody ever done it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Also wondering if this move is possible on skates: Butterfly with a twist. Has anybody ever done it?
    I don't think it would be possible to get that much horizontal rotation that quickly on skates.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    scissor kicks at the boards helps my students
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Haha, that butterfly with a twist is neat. I'm sure it could be done on skates... perhaps I'll try it next time I skate.

As for tips... making sure you get your body parallel to the ice before you jump (this is the hardest part for me..) then yeah, after that it's just the scissoring leg action... holding on to the boards like skatemommy said helps to practice.

vCash
    If you are a CCW spinner, planting the right toe pick is the most important thing on the take off.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    try it off ice first ~ see if you could muscle up with a toe tap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf2NP0d-tl4 (02:49)

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong, so the toe tap is a butterfly, and the arabian is without the toe assist?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_cfo8sKno0
    Oksana Baiul (01:37)

vCash
    Arabians should be almost upside down in mid-air -- it's kind of like a cartwheel, except without hands. Butterflies are flatter mid-air.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    That twist didn't even look real- if it was, WOW.

vCash
    Wow, that twist at the end looks like an Iron Lotus without the beheading! I could try the Butterfly jump on the floor and later on the ice, but how to do the twist? Never done a twist before and don't know if I'm strong enough for it, but it would be fun as hell to do.