Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    I felt it in Delaware. I was at work in Wilmington and most of us felt it but not everyone. It seemed like everyone who was sitting or maybe leaning on a desk felt it and the people who were standing or walking didn't notice it. I was leaning on my technician's desk talking to her and we both suddenly stopped and said, "What's going on?" Very surreal. It stopped after about 30 seconds and then everybody talked about it for a half an hour and then most of us went back to work. We got a bulletin via email for our area saying that an "alleged earthquake" had occurred.

Came home to Newark and the cats were still a bit freaked out. A few pictures were crooked on the walls and one wooden clock standing on a shelf had falled over.

It's actually been a surreal day for me because I started off with no water due to a water main break nearby. So now, I, too, am wondering if locusts or something else are next.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Evacuating after the quake makes sense if there is reason to be concerned about structural damage to the building. Don't just rush outside during the shaking.

The head of my firm sent out an email to let us know that our DC and Philadelphia offices had been evacuated. We in the LA and San Francisco offices have been quite amused.
    Well, it's kind of like when Atlanta or LA gets an inch of snow and everything shuts down and there's a run at the supermarket for milk and bread. In the NE, we get a mighty chuckle at that.

I was at lunch with a friend, and we definitely felt the quake for 30 secs or so here in Center City Philadelphia.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I was sitting at my desk when the earthquake hit. I sit on the top floor next to an atrium. First, the building started shaking and I thought WTF? Then things started bouncing. Partitions and furniture were moving and I could hear glass breaking. My first thought was that the floor was coming apart, and I was afraid I’d go crashing down five floors into the atrium. I set a land speed record for leaping from my cube and making it to the hall along with everybody else in my row.

Our security nazi was yelling for people to get down but nobody did. By this time I knew it was an earthquake so I ran back, grabbed my security card from my laptop and my purse, and headed for the stairs. We went to the street near our muster point which is between two buildings but were told to move to an open area nearby. That made sense, considering the buildings are old, brick buildings. I heard that one of my friends was hit by a falling light fixture but, fortunately, wasn’t injured.

We stayed out in an old parking lot and then were told to move down by the waterfront. We need a better announcing system for outside. It was hard to understand the bullhorn announcements. It sounded like Charlie Brown’s teacher: “Mwah, mwah, mwah, mwah, mwah.” After an hour we were told that if we were able to go home to do so. It took me 45 minutes to get out of the garage and off the Yard and 90 minutes to get home. I work in DC and live in VA.

My house is ok. The cats were upset but have recovered; Mollie is sleeping on the printer and Baxter is lurking somewhere. Some stuff fell off the top of the refrigerator, and I found books on my bedroom floor but nothing seems to be damaged.

First an earthquake and next a hurricane. I'm standing by for the locusts after that.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    Too far for me to feel anything here in Arizona. Glad to hear you guys are OK.

vCash
    I normally work in the DC suburbs (Virginia), but stayed home from work today to recover from vacation. My high-rise apartment building in NW DC proper shook pretty violently. A few pictures came off the wall and my beloved (discontinued) lladro flew off of my bookcase and shattered into pieces on the carpet (???). I was not amused.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    East of the mississippi in the US the rock is all connected and solid so you feel it really far thats normal.

On the west side the rock is different so the waves dont travel as well or as far so its a lot shorter range.
    Ah, yeah I was really surprised to read that so many far-flung East Coasters could feel a single quake! I mean, California is a huge state and we can fit 10 Northeastern states in our state, but still!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Glad everyone's okay!

As a Californian I'm like, whee earthquakes! I think they're fun when they're not huge and scary.
    I don't blink at anything around 4.0, but 5.8 is pretty sizeable even for here.

Glad to hear everyone's safe!

vCash
    My first earthquake. I was at Tysons Corner Center mall and had no idea what was going on. I thought the ceiling was falling in or something!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Prick Admin
    vCash
    To put it in perspective, 5.8 would be one of the smaller aftershocks after the March earthquake in Japan.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    To put it in perspective, 5.8 would be one of the smaller aftershocks after the March earthquake in Japan.
    And again, this area of the country does not have buildings that are designed for dealing with larger earthquakes. That's the other coast.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I was sitting on the beach with my friend and her husband. All of a sudden we looked at each other and said.."What's that? Do you feel that?" A man sitting near us said.."It's an earthquake!" I felt as if I were having a vertigo episode. I'm guessing that it lasted about 15 seconds or so..I'm not gonna lie, I was scared. Now, I suppose that the Jersey Girls will hunker down for Irene.

vCash
    I heard on the news that some people here in the Dayton area felt it (evacuated a high rise building downtown), but I missed this one! I was driving at the time, so that might be why. I've felt all the other ones that stretched this far.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    And again, this area of the country does not have buildings that are designed for dealing with larger earthquakes. That's the other coast.
    I'm aware of that.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    On the lighter side...two funny comments I saw:

Obama evacuated safely to middle of golf course.

and

NEIC has determined the epicentre of the quake to be Bush's Fault.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Years ago, I was in Tokyo when there was quite a large earthquake a few hundred miles from there, but was felt in Tokyo. Mr AYS and I were in a restaurant that had a mixture of Japanese and non-Japanese. When the tremor happened, many of the non-Japanese looked up or even stood up and were more than a bit freaked out. The Japanese kept talking and eating as if nothing had happened.

Even a minor tremor is an extremely odd and disconcerting a sensation when you don't understand what is happening and haven't really experienced it before.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    This one felt like the two I experienced in Yokosuka, Japan. The first one damaged the base library.

vCash
    I work in Boston in a building next to water on the seventh floor. Our whole building swayed. It was totally freaky/scary. I'm still wigged out. Most people thought they were having a dizzy spell, but my first thought was terrorists blowing up the building. It was nothing like I thought an earthquake would feel like (i.e., rumbling and shaking like a blender).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post

Even a minor tremor is an extremely odd and disconcerting a sensation when you don't understand what is happening and haven't really experienced it before.
    You said it! I was in Northern VA today and when the shaking started I had no clue what was going on -- I've never been in a quake before and wasn't exactly expecting to feel one here. How bizarre was that? They kicked us out of our office building pretty fast, so I ended up holing up in a nearby hotel bar with a big margarita , waiting for Mr. Elle to come get me.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    No kidding. My entire Philly office of scared little chickens was in a panic evacuating and I'm like, "That wasn't even half as bad as the aftershocks in Japan."

When they closed my office and evacuated, I decided I'd stay and get some work done with no one around. The flippin' HR rep came to shoo me out and I nearly got myself fired shouting at her, "Jesus Christ Erin I was in Tokyo on March 11!!! This is nothing!!"

Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Years ago, I was in Tokyo when there was quite a large earthquake a few hundred miles from there, but was felt in Tokyo. Mr AYS and I were in a restaurant that had a mixture of Japanese and non-Japanese. When the tremor happened, many of the non-Japanese looked up or even stood up and were more than a bit freaked out. The Japanese kept talking and eating as if nothing had happened.
    Seriously! During the initial 9.0 -- which was truly very scary, the jerking of the ground so strong you could not stand or walk while the building made horrific banging sounds -- most of the Japanese natives in the airport still looked rather calm and remained that way, even as the massive 7.4 aftershock hit and things started to shut down in earnest while news of the tsunami trickled in. This actually kept me calm, even though I had never felt one before and was really out of sorts, my first time in Japan, not speaking more than 3 words of the language, all alone and now ostensibly stranded at Narita airport after a 14 hour flight, on no sleep with only a small stash of food.

I had absolutely no perspective on how bad it was for at least an hour after it happened because the Japanese acted so calm and orderly. Stuck for another 18 hours in the domestic terminal in Narita (i.e. 98% of the people there were Japanese), I can't even recall anyone reacting to the aftershocks. At first I'd look up nervously whenever I felt one and the Japanese all around me just kept sleeping, playing video games, using their computers, etc. Eventually I just started ignoring them too, and most of them were a lot worse than the little shaking that took place in Philly today.

vCash
    One difference here, though, is that buildings here are not built against strict codes that keep them safe in the event of earthquakes. I am surprised to learn that in the building where I work, the wall got cracked, tiles fell, and some doors would not open. That would not probably happen in most Japanese buildings with earthquakes of this magnitude. In a sense, it is scarier.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    On the lighter side...two funny comments I saw:

Obama evacuated safely to middle of golf course.

and

NEIC has determined the epicentre of the quake to be Bush's Fault.

My BIL and his family are in Norfolk VA. They felt it, some of the stuff in their house was bumped around, but no real damage.

My SIL in Raleigh NC didn't feel it, but they were outside at the time.

My SIL and her family north of Pittsburgh - some felt it, some didn't.

The NC/VA folks are more worried about the hurricane. It looks like it will hit them pretty much dead on (at least the VA folks).

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast