Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wow, Shep Smith is handing out a giant dose of the truth on Fox News. Telling everyone to calm down and that everything being done (shutting down buildings) is for precautionary reasons. Not one single report of an injury. I think this is mostly directed at his own colleague who has been doing her best to scare the shit out of everyone watching. lmao
    That's unusual...Shepard Smith as the voice of reason!
    I'm glad that damage is minimal; and hope that the experience wasn't too traumatic for anyone in DC.

vCash
    I was on a conference call with a potential client in CA and our strategic partner in Colorado. All of a suddent, the whole building shook for a few seconds. The next thing I knew, everyone in the company was standing at the door of the conference room I was in, urging me to leave.

I had to interrupt the conversation in process saying, "Excuse me but I have to get off the call. We are having an earthquake!"

vCash
    I felt it. I was on my lunch hour, sitting in the cemetary just down the street from my job, in the car. I had the seat back, and then all of a sudden my car started shaking. I sat up, looking all around for whoever was standing on the bumper, bouncing up and down. There wasn't anyone around, and then it stopped.

When I got back to the office, I had to go online for something, and there was the Yahoo headline... I've heard from a couple of co-workers that the state office buildings in downtown Albany were evacuated (they have family members who work downtown).

vCash
    One of my nieces is criticizing the fact that our vendor in VA sent their employees home for the afternoon. She feels it's safer for them to go back to work than for them to drive home over "uninspected bridges." Most of them take mass transit and she doesn't work outside the home, so it's not the commuting...I think she just doesn't want the stores in her area to be more crowded when she goes shopping later, lol.

vCash
    I'm in Boston and the earthquake was felt in my office building. The large painting hanging on the wall by my desk was swaying back and forth for quite a while. I feel kinda dizzy and nauseous

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I'm wondering what is wrong with me that I didn't feel it.

I was on the bus intown in D.C. and saw crowds of people standing around in front of buildings all looking at their iphones. I couldn't figure out what was going on. So weird.
    During a small shake I was in years ago, I felt it standing in my living room, but my husband did not feel it in a moving car. Several other friends said much the same thing. I'm sure there is some kind of almost scientific explanation dealing with bodies at rest and bodies in motion.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    During a small shake I was in years ago, I felt it standing in my living room, but my husband did not feel it in a moving car. Several other friends said much the same thing. I'm sure there is some kind of almost scientific explanation dealing with bodies at rest and bodies in motion.
    My daughter and I felt it just sitting in the house, but my husband and other daughter didn't feel it at all driving in the car.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    I didn't really feel movement so much as an odd sense of dizziness. I was in the mall, in a small store with just a few people, and everyone in the store was looking toward the plate glass window at the entrance. Things in the mall hallway were swaying and part of the channel that holds the plate glass window (at the ceiling) fell out. I went out and looked at it and told the store manager that it was supporting the window on the outside, that the only thing left holding the window was a small 2" clip, on the side. This window was probably 10' X 15' and if it fell, it would fall outward toward people walking by. Mall security was there in about 60 seconds, to fix it. Heard a building in Camden, NJ collapsed. This earthquake did not shake the buildings as much as the one we had in Morris County about 3 years ago, that was local and was about 3.5. It's amazing that We felt this so far north. I have not heard anything yet about damage in the VA area. Hopefully no one was hurt. Going to put on the news now.
    Last edited by cruisin; 08-24-2011 at 12:53 AM.

vCash
    I am from Japan - earthquake-ridden country - and felt it at least 5 times when I was there for 3 weeks this summer.
    Even somebody like me, though, felt the shake this time pretty strong (and a bit scary).

I got this email from the alert system in my office and thought it may be useful:

What to Do During an Earthquake

Stay as safe as possible during an earthquake. Be aware that some earthquakes are actually foreshocks and a larger earthquake might occur. Minimize your movements to a few steps to a nearby safe place and if you are indoors, stay there until the shaking has stopped and you are sure exiting is safe.

If indoors
    •DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON until the shaking stops. If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.
    •Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as lighting fixtures or furniture.
    •Stay in bed if you are there when the earthquake strikes. Hold on and protect your head with a pillow, unless you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall. In that case, move to the nearest safe place.
    •Use a doorway for shelter only if it is in close proximity to you and if you know it is a strongly supported, loadbearing doorway.
    •Stay inside until the shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Research has shown that most injuries occur when people inside buildings attempt to move to a different location inside the building or try to leave.
    •Be aware that the electricity may go out or the sprinkler systems or fire alarms may turn on.
    •DO NOT use the elevators.

If outdoors
    •Stay there.
    •Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires.
    •Once in the open, stay there until the shaking stops. The greatest danger exists directly outside buildings, at exits and alongside exterior walls. Many of the 120 fatalities from the 1933 Long Beach earthquake occurred when people ran outside of buildings only to be killed by falling debris from collapsing walls. Ground movement during an earthquake is seldom the direct cause of death or injury. Most earthquake-related casualties result from collapsing walls, flying glass, and falling objects.

If in a moving vehicle
    •Stop as quickly as safety permits and stay in the vehicle. Avoid stopping near or under buildings, trees, overpasses, and utility wires.
    •Proceed cautiously once the earthquake has stopped. Avoid roads, bridges, or ramps that might have been damaged by the earthquake.

If trapped under debris
    •Do not light a match.
    •Do not move about or kick up dust.
    •Cover your mouth with a handkerchief or clothing.
    •Tap on a pipe or wall so rescuers can locate you. Use a whistle if one is available. Shout only as a last resort. Shouting can cause you to inhale dangerous amounts of dust.

From FEMA website.

I'd also add that open the door if you are in a small space such as bathrooms, since shaking can cause structural damage, which can make the door difficult to open to leave from the space. Also if you are cooking, turn off the gas oven right away.
    Last edited by YukiNieve; 08-23-2011 at 09:42 PM.

vCash

vCash
    I'm from Mineral (Gum Springs actually, but who would have ever thought anyone would have heard of Mineral VA) and my family still lives there. It took a while to get through on the phones but everyone is safe, just very rattled. My mother made it home from work and has lots of glass on the floor plus one very stressed out kitty. Lots of cleanup to do inside, but thankfully it could have been a whole lot worse. There's damage to the high school and middle school where I went to school. I'm very greatful no injuries have been reported.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    lol

Ah, so it was not the right thing to do to evacuate the buildings.....people should have stayed put. I would not have known that!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen H View Post
    I'm from Mineral (Gum Springs actually, but who would have ever thought anyone would have heard of Mineral VA) and my family still lives there. It took a while to get through on the phones but everyone is safe, just very rattled. My mother made it home from work and has lots of glass on the floor plus one very stressed out kitty. Lots of cleanup to do inside, but thankfully it could have been a whole lot worse. There's damage to the high school and middle school where I went to school. I'm very greatful no injuries have been reported.
    Glad to hear it is no worse! Must have been very frightening!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    lol

Ah, so it was not the right thing to do to evacuate the buildings.....people should have stayed put. I would not have known that!
    Evacuating after the quake makes sense if there is reason to be concerned about structural damage to the building. Don't just rush outside during the shaking.

The head of my firm sent out an email to let us know that our DC and Philadelphia offices had been evacuated. We in the LA and San Francisco offices have been quite amused.

vCash
    Swarms of locusts are next, right?

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    If Morozov turns into a pillar of salt then we know we're in trouble.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I was at my company's office out in the Virginia suburbs of DC. I'd never felt an earthquake before. And this wasn't just a little shake, it was a rather pronounced one. I just froze in place. Eventually everyone in my office headed out of the building. After about an hour, we were told to head home. The building management didn't want anyone inside until they had a structural engineer evaluate the building. But my early dismissal was negated by the fact Metrorail had to run trains at 15 mph due to track inspections on the entire network. It took me more than double the time it typically takes to get home.

vCash
    Glad everyone's okay!

As a Californian I'm like, whee earthquakes! I think they're fun when they're not huge and scary.

vCash
    And a hurricane coming on Saturday.

vCash
    I teach in a daycare center in NJ, the quake hit at naptime, half the kids woke up thinking I had shaken them awake.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast