Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Can't even get through to my mom on my cellphone...
    Apparently, according to local news, it lasted up to 30 seconds in some spots.
    Cell networks were jammed. I am pretty sure our shaking went on for more than 30 seconds but less tha a minute. We're about 90 miles from the epicenter.
    Last edited by jen_faith; 08-23-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Edited because I am a bit distacted and can't type my thougts oyt correctly

vCash
    Not a thing in central MA,although with all the construction outside, it would be hard to tell anyway.

Hope everyone is safe.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Definitely felt it down here in Raleigh. Our building shook for about 10-15 seconds. It took a while for it to register what we were feeling. One of our California colleagues is laughing at us for being so excited by it.

vCash
    A friend of mine in Richmond said he'd let me know how he was once he finished changing his pants. LOL. He did say he's ok, doesn't think there's a lot of damage. Just that there was a whole lot of shaking going on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jen_faith View Post
    Cell networks were jammed. I am pretty sure our shaking went on for more than a minute. We're about 90 miles from the epicenter.
    Just got through to my mom and brother...Mother is in the backyard having a post-quake cocktail with a neighbor . She's FINE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Just got through to my mom and brother...Mother is in the backyard having a post-quake cocktail with a neighbor . She's FINE.
    Wants a postquake cocktail too

vCash
    That was surreal. I had no idea the D.C. area could be hit by an earthquake. I was just working downtown with my headphone on and suddenly the whole building shook. No one knew what to make of it or what to do. Eventuallly people filed out of the building.

vCash
    Felt it for about 15-20 seconds here in the Baltimore area. I was in my kitchen and stared hearing rattling noises at first. It almost sounded like it was the refrigerator about to die or explode. But I could hear things shaking in the drawers on the opposite wall from the fridge and it got louder. I thought it was a big truck driving by or workmen outside drilling or mowing the lawns or something. Looked out the back, then the front, saw nothing and thought "WTF?!" Then it stopped. Only then did I start wondering if it had been an earthquake/tremor.

My mom was at her office, which is on the 2nd floor of the building and she said the floor shook. Everyone evacuated via the stairs. A little while ago, she called the front desk of my parents' condo building and there are reports of pictures falling off the walls. Other than that, everything seems to be OK around here. It seems the higher up people were off the ground, the more feeling/damage. Some office buildings downtown are still evacuated, including the courthouse.

vCash
    Checking in from Downtown Boston. I am on the corner of Water and Milk Street, an older building's roof (about six stories high) has slid into the high rise next to it. I could not see any damage, which is good. All the streets have been blocked off around the area, Firefighters and Inspectional services on scene and evacuations of the surrounding buildings. I can't believe it.

Hope everyone is safe.

vCash
    Felt it here in Cleveland... It felt like it lasted 1-2 minutes...

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'm wondering what is wrong with me that I didn't feel it.

I was on the bus intown in D.C. and saw crowds of people standing around in front of buildings all looking at their iphones. I couldn't figure out what was going on. So weird.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I was trying to prep for a job interview that I have tomorrow when it happened and now I'm more than a little distracted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jen_faith View Post
    Wants a postquake cocktail too
    Shaken, not stirred .

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    DC, NYC, points in New England, Ohio, IL, and other places in the Midwest.

Isn't that an unusually large area to feel one earthquake?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    FoxNews seems to only be interested in talking about how terrifying this must have been for those who were there for 9/11 I get it, but does it need to be mentioned over and over? I think they would prefer we know 9/11 is coming up rather than knowing the details of the earthquake. You can hear them just trying so hard to find a dramatic story.
    I felt it for about 10 seconds here in the NC Triangle. The ceiling fans were rocking, the floor lamps swaying and the whole house was shaking. The kids came running down and headed for the tornado closet we keep stocked for emergencies. We're a three-hour drive from Richmond.

As a 9/11 NYC resident, this brought back some memories that I would have liked to have left buried ... I will say I was far less panicked this time. The closet has water, radio/batteries and I grabbed my cell phone. I expected the cell and land phone lines to be jammed and busied out, which they were. I didn't jump when the construction site (about 2 miles away) unpiled some materials with booms and rumblings. (Smart manager on site there - planned for aftershocks on the fly.)

My family who still live in NY/NJ all said they felt panicked and scared, I think moreso than the rest of us who've moved away.

vCash
    I'm really dreading the traffic getting home today...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    DC, NYC, points in New England, Ohio, IL, and other places in the Midwest.

Isn't that an unusually large area to feel one earthquake?
    East of the mississippi in the US the rock is all connected and solid so you feel it really far thats normal.

On the west side the rock is different so the waves dont travel as well or as far so its a lot shorter range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Not a thing in central MA,although with all the construction outside, it would be hard to tell anyway.
    Must be coastal. We felt it in Wellesley, MA and Brad Faxon (golfer) reported same from Barrington, RI. The building rocked for about 10 seconds.

My friend in suburban DC (VA side) was in a bank and evacuated when the furniture started moving around. Army friend says the Pentagon was evacuated as the initial response was for a possible terrorist incident. As soon as it was deemed to be an earthquake, things returned to normal.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Felt it in Buffalo ... I was sitting on my closed toilet seat, plucking my eyebrows. I could feel the toilet rocking a bit, and the windchimes that I have on a wall outside the bathroom tinkled slightly (they're flat against the wall so they never make any sound) which is what made me think it was out of the ordinary. It lasted maybe 10 seconds.

vCash
    I swear it lasted more like a minute here in Philly. And pots of flowers indoors on the windowsills shook and my small kitchen chandelier swayed back and forth for over five minutes.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast