Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insomniac Help!

vCash
    Have you tried taking a bath (not shower) before going to bed?

Relaxation techniques?

The most important thing is to not worry about not getting sleep.

Quadless
    vCash
    Ugh, I used to be the best sleeper, but starting this summer, I keep waking up in the middle of the night. Usually, I'm just hot, so I toss and turn and eventually fall asleep, but because I can't sleep uninterrupted of for at least six hours (eight would be a total fantasy), I'm constantly tired. I don't have any problem falling asleep, just staying asleep. Any suggestions?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I had huge trouble sleeping when I was in the middle of a depression. I wasn't able to really sleep for nearly 6 months.
    Different things helped then:
    If it was really dire I took a sleeping pill. I share your aversion to sleeping pills (or at least I did - I had to be dragged to the doctor to let me prescribe sleeping pills!) but they were a godsend. I only took one every other week when I felt that I really needed a good night's sleep for the next day and the relief of actually sleeping for 6-8straight hours is beyond anything.

Relaxing techniques also helped. I have some mp3 tracks of relaxing texts where you hear someone telling you which muscles to relax or to find a calm peaceful place etc.
    Again this was something I would have scorned only a few years before that episode but it helped me quite a bit.

Stretching right before going to bed also helped me. Maybe it is the focussed mind on the stretching that calmed the brain down. Exercise right before bed isn't really helping though. Let at least 2-3 hours pass after exercise before you go to bed if you have trouble sleeping.

best of luck and really sleeping pills - if used rightly - can make all the difference!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Ugh, I used to be the best sleeper, but starting this summer, I keep waking up in the middle of the night. Usually, I'm just hot, so I toss and turn and eventually fall asleep, but because I can't sleep uninterrupted of for at least six hours (eight would be a total fantasy), I'm constantly tired. I don't have any problem falling asleep, just staying asleep. Any suggestions?
    I haven't tried it myself as I don't have that problem but I read that the most effective route to take with this kind of problem is to get up once you wake up and get on with the day. And not go to bed again until your usual sleeping time.
    Hard. Very hard.
    But apparently, after a few days of doing that, your body recognizes that you will get up once you wake up and will then take the necessary amount of sleep.

It is a drastic treatment and I don't know if I would be able to do it but from what I heard it is very very effective...

vCash
    ^ sleep disorder workers recommend this.

A couple days of sleep deprivation and you will fall asleep.

One thing I found out is it isn't the REM sleep you want but stage 3 & 4 that are the most rejuvenating. I remember I read somewhere that the average REM cycle is about 4 hours so that was where I thought we had to get 8 hours of sleep so we had 2 full REM cycles but that isn't the case at all. The first 4-5 hours is our most restful sleep, and after that we bounce between level 1-3, but more of 1 & 2.

I always wondered why I would bounce out of bed after 5 hours and be good to go for the day and other days when I was in bed longer I would drag more sorry butt out of bed. Too much REM sleep is bad... there is a connection between too much REM and depression.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    This might sound odd but how old is your mattress? Mine is getting up there and I find that if it is not turned regularly, I cannot sleep on it. Sometimes I just turn 180 degrees so my head is at the foot of the bed and I go right to sleep. Weird but it works for me.

vCash
    Better last night, though I was awake from about 11:30-2. Thanks for all the tips. I tried writing down my thoughts and some cereal.

At least for me, this comes and goes. I should be better soon. I'd just like to stay better.

ETA: Think I might try acupuncture.

vCash
    As nutty as this sounds, I recite all 50 states and their capitals when I'm awake. And it mostly seems to work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Lots of people have given great suggestions - I've also found that acupuncture helps reduce the worry/anxiety insomnia, which it sounds like yours might be.
    A coworker has been getting acupuncture therapy to help her deal with the chemotherapy and anxiety/stress related to her breast cancer diagnosis. She was hugely skeptical, but has been amazed by the improvement she has noted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12