Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Thanks. I thought Rocky and Calla skated in Lillihamer. Did they break up after that?
    Sorry, I can't remember...

vCash
    Rocky and Calla broke up after the 92-93 season. They repeated their National title in 93, but then had a really rough Worlds, and that was it for them temporarily. After failing to make the Olympic team with their new partners they got back together in the fall of 94 but never skated amateur again, instead had a lengthy enough pro career. I remember watching them compete in many pro events even though they were never headliners.

Sorry I just noticed now someone else had already mentioned this last page.

vCash
    Last night I was watching some old programs of Petrova-Sikharulidze and Berezhnaya-Shliakov. P&T looked a lot like Gordeeva-Grinkov, but totally lacked chemistry. Ber-Shli (can't call them B&S since we are used to use it for Elena-Anton) were tehnically better overall, but Shliakov was totally lacking in posture and body lines, and he looked too big for Elena. Although they split for different reasons, I think neither would have become world or Olympic champion. Elena clearly did not like Shliakov, from her cold reaction to him in the K&C even after a great performance.

We as fans are so blessed that Elena & Anton paired up together, and gave us masterpieces on the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Last night I was watching some old programs of Petrova-Sikharulidze and Berezhnaya-Shliakov. P&T looked a lot like Gordeeva-Grinkov, but totally lacked chemistry. Ber-Shli (can't call them B&S since we are used to use it for Elena-Anton) were tehnically better overall, but Shliakov was totally lacking in posture and body lines, and he looked too big for Elena. Although they split for different reasons, I think neither would have become world or Olympic champion. Elena clearly did not like Shliakov, from her cold reaction to him in the K&C even after a great performance.

We as fans are so blessed that Elena & Anton paired up together, and gave us masterpieces on the ice.
    I read somewhere than Shliakov was verbally abusive with Berezhnaya and not very safe with how he handled her on the ice (NOT saying he physically hurt her on purpose though), although that could be an exaggeration. I forget what book I read it it in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I read somewhere than Shliakov was verbally abusive with Berezhnaya and not very safe with how he handled her on the ice (NOT saying he physically hurt her on purpose though), although that could be an exaggeration. I forget what book I read it it in.
    This was a big story during the 1998 Olympics and it is well known that Shliakov was abusive. He used to lock up Elena in the apartment they lived in. On the ice he used to drive her very hard. If she fell down on a throw, he would not offer his hand to her to get up. Other skaters helped her, including Anton and also Tamara, who saw this. Tamara said in an interview that she saw Shliakov hit Elena and Tamara questioned him why he treated her like that. After the accident Elena decided that she did not want to skate with him anymore; she wanted to skate with Anton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    This was a big story during the 1998 Olympics and it is well known that Shliakov was abusive. He used to lock up Elena in the apartment they lived in. On the ice he used to drive her very hard. If she fell down on a throw, he would not offer his hand to her to get up. Other skaters helped her, including Anton and also Tamara, who saw this. Tamara said in an interview that she saw Shliakov hit Elena and Tamara questioned him why he treated her like that. After the accident Elena decided that she did not want to skate with him anymore; she wanted to skate with Anton.
    Omg, okay, I didn't know it was that extensive. That's really bad.

vCash
    There was a lot more to that story on all sides, and I hate to say it but I wouldn't doubt it if much of that abuse was on purpose, that man was diabolical.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12