Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872

    When two good pairs are broken to create a better pair

    The result can be magical if two seemingly good pairs are broken and a new pair is created (the reasons and circumstances were quite different in most cases), like

    Volosozhar- Morozov and Mukhartova-Trankov were split to create Volosohar-Trankov. Result: World silver

    Other examples:

    Petrova-Sikharulidze and Berezhnaya-Shliakov were broken and the magical pair Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze was formed. Result: 2 world championships and an OGM

    Stiegler-Zimmerman and Ina-Dungjen were broken to form Ina-Zimmerman, who had much more success.

    In the USA there are a lot of 'musical pairs'- changing partners. Not all have had success.

    Meno-Wentland(sp?) and Kuchiki-Sand were broken to form Meno&Sand who won a world silver and a couple of world bronzes (Kuchiki & Sand had also won two world bronzes)

    Jamie Sale and her former partner (his name eludes me) skated in the 1994 Olympics. I don't know who Pelletier's partner was before he paired up with Jamie, but that was another very successful pair.

    The other partner was not always successful, e.g. Kuchiki and Wentland- their pairs careers ended at that point. Mukhartova is in danger too. Dungjen turned pro and started skating with his wife Yuka Sato, but his eligible career ended at that point.

    Occasionally the opposite can happen too. Obertas had much more success with the partner she left (I forgot his name) to skate with Slavnov,and their lack of success was not entirely Slavnov's fault.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,834
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Occasionally the opposite can happen too. Obertas had much more success with the partner she left (I forgot his name) to skate with Slavnov,and their lack of success was not entirely Slavnov's fault.
    Alexei Sokolov. I loved Obertas & Sokolov. Had they not broken up I really think they would've been world medalists one day. They were the third Russian pair at the time after T&M and P&T. They had placed 4th in the SP at 03 Worlds, so the judges obviously liked them.

    But yeah, what the heck happened to Julia after pairing with Slavnov? She regressed and became a headcase who couldn't jump at all.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Aliona Savchenko used to skate with Morozov (Volosozhar's former partner), but I don't know who Robin skated pairs with. Was it a good pair? Definitely the new formation has been a huge success.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,210
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Meno-Wentland(sp?) and Kuchiki-Sand were broken to form Meno&Sand who won a world silver and a couple of world bronzes (Kuchiki & Sand had also won two world bronzes)
    Kuchiki & Sand won only one World bronze in 1991. They dropped backwards to 6th place at both the Olympics and Worlds next year then split.

    Jamie Sale and her former partner (his name eludes me) skated in the 1994 Olympics. I don't know who Pelletier's partner was before he paired up with Jamie, but that was another very successful pair.
    Sale's partner at the 94 Olympics and Worlds was Jason Turner. They placed 12th in Lillehammer and 16th at the Worlds. He was so much weaker a skater than her it was startling, she reportedly dumped him since she knew she could do alot better and figured it would be easy to find a better partner after her breakthrough season.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibnYU...el_video_title

    Jamie then skated singles for 4 years before teaming with David, coming 4th and 6th at the Canadians in 95 and 98 but only due to the horrible womens field in Canada as her jumping was terrible for a singles skater (expected as it was even weak for a top ladies pairs skater), also failing to even qualify for Canadians the two years in between showing what a crapshoot Canadian women were that quad.

    Pelletier's partner before Jamie was Allison Gaylor who he placed 2nd at the 95 Canadians with and competed at the 95 Worlds. They dropped to 5th and 6th the next 2 years, then split.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2thz4PIZWS0

    David skated with some tiny very young girl I forget for the 97-98 season, then paired with Jamie. David also placed 4th and 6th in singles at the 95 and 96 Canadians, but was 2nd after the short program at the 95 Canadians and almost made it to Worlds in both pairs and singles. As a singles skater he never had a triple axel and struggled with consistency with both the triple lutz and flip.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 08-23-2011 at 08:15 AM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in the Finnish forests
    Posts
    4,968
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33576
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't know who Robin skated pairs with. Was it a good pair?
    Claudia Rausenbach. (sp) They were 9th in Junior Worlds 2001.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Main floor
    Posts
    2,457
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Lady Krylova!

    Oops, that's Dance, not pairs! Shoulda read the fine print......
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 08-23-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Included an example from a wrong catagory

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,850
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    David skated with some tiny very young girl I forget for the 97-98 season, then paired with Jamie. David also placed 4th and 6th in singles at the 95 and 96 Canadians, but was 2nd after the short program at the 95 Canadians and almost made it to Worlds in both pairs and singles. As a singles skater he never had a triple axel and struggled with consistency with both the triple lutz and flip.
    His jumps were actually really good (not sure if he had the loop though). He often did two flips and two lutzes on the long so he was bound to miss some especially since he had to divide his time with pairs.

    David skated with Caroline Roy at the 98 nats which I attended. He sat like 3 seats down from me at one of the events. I so desperately wanted to tell him to keep his chin up because it was clear he was so talented...but he looked so down and almost angry the whole time you could just tell he was lost. Decided to keep my trap shut.

    I had the fortune of sitting next to a top Canadian skater on a flight once and we talked about Jamie and Dave. This was around 2000. This skater told me that Jamie and Dave tried out together in 96 (common knowledge) but he basically shut her down, saying to call him when she gets a consistent triple toe and loses 10 lbs. Basically wouldn't talk to her until that happened...in the 98 season. The 3T was the only jump she landed in the singles competition that year.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,461
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20970
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The other partner was not always successful, . . . Dungjen turned pro and started skating with his wife Yuka Sato, but his eligible career ended at that point.
    My understanding is that the reason Ina and Dungjen split in the first place was that he wanted to turn pro and she wanted to continue competing. So they were pretty much equally successful in getting what they each wanted -- it just wasn't the same thing.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,507
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think often times the first few parters most people have is just for practice until you find the right one. Most skaters have at least 2 or 3 partners before they get the one see results with.

    In the case of Julia Obertas, I blame her coaches for most of the bad parter picking, they never gave her one she looked great with, also she liked to get involved with them and that can't be an easy working relationship if it ever went bad personally. She could have been great.

    Often times a great partner falls in right their lap and they have great results; other times a great skater is left to find a parter (to no avail) or just retire.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,059
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post

    I had the fortune of sitting next to a top Canadian skater on a flight once and we talked about Jamie and Dave. This was around 2000. This skater told me that Jamie and Dave tried out together in 96 (common knowledge) but he basically shut her down, saying to call him when she gets a consistent triple toe and loses 10 lbs. Basically wouldn't talk to her until that happened...in the 98 season. The 3T was the only jump she landed in the singles competition that year.
    That sounds a little nasty, what he said in '96..

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,210
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think David was tired of always having female partners who missed all their jumps, and Jamie at one time didnt even have a consistent 3toe or 2axel (well she never did really, lol). So I can understand his apprehension. Of course if he had a crystal ball and could see that 4 or 5 years down the road due to massive politics Jamie was allowed to miss 2 out of 3 jumps per competition and still have them win every event they were in, he probably would have taken her on sooner, but that is a whole other topic.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What about Anissina&Peizerat ?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    What about Anissina&Peizerat ?
    Yes and no, I would say. Anissina's pairing with Peizerat instead of Averbukh did lead to a lot of success, but Ilia was already a strong dancer to begin with, definitely at Marina's level.

    I've always wondered how Fusar-Poli would've fared with a partner more at her level. Maybe with Peter Tchernyshev?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    My understanding is that the reason Ina and Dungjen split in the first place was that he wanted to turn pro and she wanted to continue competing. So they were pretty much equally successful in getting what they each wanted -- it just wasn't the same thing.
    My understanding was that Ina essentially dumped him because she wanted to skate with John Zimmerman who had recently dumped his injured partner Stephanie Stiegler.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    Yes and no, I would say. Anissina's pairing with Peizerat instead of Averbukh did lead to a lot of success, but Ilia was already a strong dancer to begin with, definitely at Marina's level.

    I've always wondered how Fusar-Poli would've fared with a partner more at her level. Maybe with Peter Tchernyshev?

    I purposely avoided the ice dance couples and limited this to pairs because we see a lot of switching of partners in ice dance; less so in pairs (though in the USA that is quite common place; pairs don't stick together very long).

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,210
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    My understanding was that Ina essentially dumped him because she wanted to skate with John Zimmerman who had recently dumped his injured partner Stephanie Stiegler.
    I read in International Skating Magazine at the time it was a conflict with the coach. Your suggestions sounds more feasible though. Him getting injured and having to miss Worlds and problems with the coach, probably made it easier for her to do as desired and ditch him.

    Zimmerman also did not dump Stiegler though. I remember reading he was upset since she dumped him while off injured. He was quoted at the time as saying he was really dissapointed since he thought they would have a great career together.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Natasha Kuchiki did almost make the 94 Olympic/World team with Rocky Marval (4th at Nationals).

  18. #18
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,803
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    Yes and no, I would say. Anissina's pairing with Peizerat instead of Averbukh did lead to a lot of success, but Ilia was already a strong dancer to begin with, definitely at Marina's level.

    Peizerat had also done well with his previous partner, Marina Morel. Anissina/Averbukh won jr worlds in 1990 and 1992, and placed fourth in 1991, the year Morel/Peizerat won silver.

    Grishuk & Platov were a very successful team created out of two moderately successful teams: Grishuk was 1988 world jr champ with Alexander Chickov, and Platov was ranked 6th in senior worlds with Larisa Fedorinova in 1989.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    7,156
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44806
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Natasha Kuchiki did almost make the 94 Olympic/World team with Rocky Marval (4th at Nationals).
    This confuses me. 1994? When Rocky skated with Calla?

  20. #20
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,587
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33733
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    This confuses me. 1994? When Rocky skated with Calla?
    Rocky and Calla broke up and he teamed with Kuchiki in 94. Rocky and Calla reteamed later on and skated as pros.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •