Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

F3 Tornado Hits Goderich, Ontario

It happened yesterday and what was known as Ontario's Prettiest Town is now a Disaster Area. The dead centre of the town took a direct hit and the pictures/video of the damage are just unbelievable. Environment Canada has called it a F3 and I had a feeling just from what was shown on the News last night it would be that or a F4.

I hope if we've got any FSU-er's from there, that they're okay. To our Members who are from there, but have moved and/or to those w/Family and Friends in the area, I hope your loved ones are safe and uninjured.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Goderich.

vCash
    Wha-? I'd had a long weekend and one of the things I'd thought about doing was driving over to that area of Ontario. (Ended up only visiting the fam instead.)

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CanadaAM/2...ornado-110822/

vCash
    What a lovely town center in the before pictures. I know it can be restored again but I feel badly for the man that died. The news feature mentioned it had been fifteen years (in the province?) since the last tornado and I almost think it makes it that much more shocking to the people who experienced it. I'm curious about how far north tornadoes have occurred. Alaska?

vCash
    Yikes, thoughts are with the people in Ontario Do tornadoes form with frequency in any area of Canada or was this a sort of a freak storm?

vCash
    Sorry to hear about the tornado, and for the people of the town.

vCash
    Tornados are kind of a fact of summer weather here (southwestern Ontario where I live, about 1.5 hours south along the lake from Goderich) -- or at least reports of them are. A major one blew down the front street of the city I live in back before I was born and fortunately, no one was killed and my dad narrowly avoided being injured. Another narrowly missed here back in the 60's.
    Two days after that tornado hit Goderich, we had tornado warnings - two of them. Got some nasty weather around here both those days -- rain, hail, lightning hitting the ground, power outages but nothing too bad in "banana belt" Sarnia (where I live).
    This area has been referred to as Tornado Alley at times and now that information can get out there globally and quickly, we tend to hear more about the devastating effects of mother nature.
    Crazy about sports!

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Wow. What's up with all that crazy weather popping up everywhere?

The self-described "prettiest town in Canada" was hit Sunday by the most powerful tornado recorded in Ontario in more than a decade.

"This is the worst damage I've ever seen," Randy Mawson, an investigator with Environment Canada, told The Canadian Press.
    I'm glad only one person was killed as it could have been much worse. The damage looks pretty overwhelming.