Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I would try to find out what other parents are sending. If all of his classmates are eating fritos, chips or other snacky types of food that you don't allow at home or in his school lunch, he will be less likely to eat what you might have packed. Doesn't mean that he won't eat what you will send, it just means that perhaps he could have a "freebie day" where forbidden foods are allowed. If the school or the teacher have not supplied you with a list of foods that can not be in the classroom due to allergies, ask. Peanuts are not the only food to cause severe life threatening allergies.

I second or third the cheese cubes and crackers. yogurt to go things can be frozen and even if they are crunchy are good to eat. Carrots/veggies with dipping sauce (my kids liked ranch dressing) is a big hit. Trail mix - those without the nuts are good things too. Applesauce to go squeezable packages are fun, but may end up in that mess or fight with others. If he is used to eating pita chips that can be a replacement for potato chips. Also be aware of any irritable bowel type of reactions to foods, you don't want him to be embarrassed by a need to use the bathroom when it is not a scheduled classroom break.

If the majority of his classmates are eating school lunch he will want to eat it too. The lemmings factor thing, even if it isn't good, to standout and not have school lunch is difficult for any child. And be prepared for the lunch bag to be left or lost. Preschool teachers are often more aware and patient with gathering supplies/possessions at the end of the day (due to student/teacher ratios) than K teachers. K teachers are angels, but in today's environment may have up to 30 kids in their classroom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Maybe I'm a bad parent, but my son has always taken turkey and cheese sandwiches for lunch. He is a junior in high school, still takes a lunch every day, and has yet to get sick from taking meat to school.
    Not at all. At my school bologna/turkey/ham and peanut butter and jelly were the staple sandwiches. I remember my mom would cut the crust off my bread and cut my sandwiches up into little squares. Don't recall ever getting sick. Couple that with water, fruit and a random snack and that was lunch. Keep in mind that there is serious trading going on in the lunch room. Nothing personal against mom, but I used to trade my sandwich for snickers, chips and oreos with the kids who had MUCH cooler moms.

My nephew is starting first grade, but last year he stayed with me for a week and his mother left me a page long letter of instructions regarding his lunch. No fruit juices unless they are 100% fruit juice and even then I must add an extra water bottle, no nuts, no chips, no sodas, no cookies (small amount of animal cookies ok but not every day), no bologna. Whole grain wheat bread only, sliced apple on monday, strawberries on Tue, banana Wed etc..Oy vey!!!

I cut up some melon on monday and he loved it so much he asked to have it the rest of the week!

vCash
    I second involving the student from day 1. My niece did that and now her 2nd grader makes his lunch plus one for his younger brother. She checks it when it's done and finds that 2nd grader does a much better job of following school rules than his mother does.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    My eldest is in kindergarten and takes his lunch to school everyday due to food allergies. So far,peanutbutter is ok in his school.
    Today for school he got a peanut butter sandwhich(gluten free whole grain bread),peas(in a small container),applesauce and 2 oatmeal cookies(entirely wheat free,homemade). Some variations on that last week,broccoli,strawberries(cut up),grapes(cut up),fresh pineapple.(we've been in school a week) I've got other ideas but He's not wanted anything except peanut butter.He did have a sandwhich with lunch meat one day last week,I put 2 ice packs in the lunch box and it did ok.He didn't get food poisoning

Minecraft Widow
    vCash
    So. Little skateycat and I bought a $10 zippered lunch sack thing from Target, and we were happy with it.

Then Mr skateycat sends me a link to this bad boy, the PlanetBox. So my idea of seeing how little skateycat handles a cheaper box goes out the window. They are both awfully happy with it, ok I am too.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

Minecraft Widow
    vCash
    Most of the kids aren't eating school lunch, but there are a couple of days where they are serving things that he likes. Tomorrow is macaroni and cheese and sometime next week I think they're doing chicken nuggets.

We'll see.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateycat View Post
    Then Mr skateycat sends me a link to this bad boy, the PlanetBox. So my idea of seeing how little skateycat handles a cheaper box goes out the window. They are both awfully happy with it, ok I am too.
    LOVE this!!! Although I just had a "Why didn't I think of that" moment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    One of the things my kids really liked when they were little was pretzel kabobs--little cubes of cheese or meat or both stuck on pretzel sticks. I'd skewer the cubes first to keep the pretzel from snapping. They still like these even now.
    Thank you for this idea!
    Preschool starts in two weeks for us and I was dreading packing my daughter's lunch every morning (based on last year's experience). There is a very limited repertoire of the things she'll eat that can go in a lunchbox, and pretzel kebabs sound like they have a high probability of being a success. I read a ton of tips on packing lunchboxes for preschoolers and none of the ideas suit my daughter for various reasons. I'm glad to have an item I can add to my (short) list.
    Unlike many kids she gladly eats whole fruit (and even prefers it this way); carrots & cucumbers satisfy the veggie requirement; crackers are always a hit. But i'm having a hard time sneaking proteins in her lunch. I think cubes of cheese on a pretzel stick are going to work...

vCash
    That Planet Box starts at $40. I'm wary on spending much money on the actual lunchbox and etc. for a kid that age. It is quite possible that part (or even all) of it will end up lost somewhere at school. So make sure you're comfortable with that idea versus the price you pay for the lunchbox.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Cubed apples, cubed cheese..........I used to use small wraps and sometimes just butter it and sprinkler shredded cheese on it, and cut them into bite sized pieces. My daughter liked peanut butter and bananas on a wrap. So, whatever your kids like to eat.

vCash
    These are fun egg molds to add to a lunch: http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Plast...4826004&sr=8-5

And here is a good video on making bento, the rabbit made out of an apple is an especially cute idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_hbPLsZvvo

vCash
    Unless the lunch sits in direct sunlight, it should be ok til lunchtime. My nephew is going through a Lunchables stage, at the moment.

vCash
    Land's end has good, superhero-free lunchboxes; they're insulated so the food stays cold up to five hours (I still freeze the sandwich, milk, or juice, but I'm a touch ocd)...they clip onto book bags, too. http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage...92583-_-392574

My second-grader likes the organic yogurt squeezes...put them in the freezer overnight and they're extra yummy.

vCash
    Sheesh. I really need to get our fourth-grader to start making her own lunch. Guess the question is, how much whining do I want to hear about how she has to do yet ANOTHER thing? because she's JUST A KID!!! (she has to do her homework and two chores daily--chores are usually quite easy and not time consuming in the least. Guess that's the punishment I get for making her an only child )

ETA: Seriously, Lands End? You need separate lines of lunch boxes for girls and boys (girls get hearts and butterflies, boys get camouflage)?? Way to perpetuate those gender stereotypes. . . Guess what? There is no difference in the build of their mouths or hands or stomachs!!!

vCash
    ^ I made my daughter come to the grocery store with me and pick out what would be in her lunch. I made it in the morning, but she was responsible for the contents by her choices!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've found out that blueberries and strawberries are not a good idea for a school lunch. We've been doing toasted cheese sandwiches, apple slices dipped in a mixture of water and lemon juice to prevent browning, baby carrots and home-made chocolate chip oatmeal bars. I tried a hard-boiled egg and he ate it but I got crumbs of the egg yolk EVERYWHERE and I mean everywhere.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I echo what those have said about allergies. At our school now we cannot have peanuts and other nuts, eggs, fish, strawberries, kiwi, and melon. We only got banana back last year after the worker who had the allergy was placed at a different school.

As a teacher, many of us find the restrictions tough for our lunches. I tend to go with lots of little snacks rather than a lunch.

Is Kindergarten a full day where you are? We're still on 1/2 day here so they only need to bring a snack and drink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minuet View Post
    I echo what those have said about allergies. At our school now we cannot have peanuts and other nuts, eggs, fish, strawberries, kiwi, and melon. We only got banana back last year after the worker who had the allergy was placed at a different school.
    Do I understand this right? Nothing made with nuts or egg? And banning certain fruits seems a bit extreme as well as the allergic reaction is from actual contact, and isn't something that flies through the air. Is your school in a high helicopter parent zone?
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Not only is my daughter's school completely nut free, they also have a "litterless lunch" program - no garbage cans in the lunchroom at all - so everything that goes must come home if it's not eaten.

To solve the drink problem, I found screw top chocolate milk that can be closed up and brought back if it's not finished as juice boxes aren't possible. She also refuses sandwiches, so almost every day it's high fiber pasta in a thermos either with butter or sauce of some type. Sometimes she'll also eat soup.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minuet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    Not only is my daughter's school completely nut free, they also have a "litterless lunch" program - no garbage cans in the lunchroom at all - so everything that goes must come home if it's not eaten.
    And people wonder why more parents don't pack lunches.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've found out that blueberries and strawberries are not a good idea for a school lunch. We've been doing toasted cheese sandwiches, apple slices dipped in a mixture of water and lemon juice to prevent browning, baby carrots and home-made chocolate chip oatmeal bars. I tried a hard-boiled egg and he ate it but I got crumbs of the egg yolk EVERYWHERE and I mean everywhere.
    I wondered how that egg would work out.

I've never had a problem with blueberries, although I guess they stain? Strawberries tend to get mushy, though.

When my kids were younger, I got a lot of good ideas from Family Fun, so some of you might find something useful here: http://familyfun.go.com/back-to-scho...lunchbox-tips/

It does get easier when they get older, or at least that's been my experience. Allergy restrictions get looser or even disappear, kids broaden their tastes and take over planning and packing, and more options are available at school. It's when they are in elementary school that lunches are a PITA.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast