Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Skater's Legacy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I hate the Chinese throw technique. It looks like a farmer yanking and tossing sacks of potatoes onto a trolly.
    I totally agree! That is exactly what I think of every time I see a guy with terrible throwing posture. I think this and this should be deducted just as much. Some guys in others countries do it too but China is by far the worst offender.
    Last edited by julieann; 08-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.

vCash

Kristi 3L 3T

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I agree about Kristi's legacy being more in the pro skating. In the eligible ranks I did not feel she really left that much for the future generation. Her 3Z-3t was mainly to keep up with Midori technically. Professionally Kristi was brilliant, landing difficult jumps consistently for years, and developing her artistry in many different ways.
    Did she only perform that one, at the O's?

vCash
    No, she first landed it in competition at Skate Lalique in the autumn of 1991. IIRC, she also landed it at Nationals and Worlds in 1992.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I totally agree! That is exactly what I think of every time I see a guy with terrible throwing posture. I think this and this should be deducted just as much. Some guys in others countries do it too but China is by far the worst offender.
    Elena Berezhnaya's former partner Oleg Shliakov had a terrible throw technique too (reminded me of the chinese when I was watching their performance the other day)....just like you described.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I am not judging anyone harshly. All I said is Shen & Zhou are in no way deserving of being anywhere near the best ever.
    If you're willing to be so critical of them, perhaps you should know that his name is Zhao. Not Zhou.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    If you're willing to be so critical of them, perhaps you should know that his name is Zhao. Not Zhou.
    I don't see JJ as being 'too critical'. We all have our opinions and JJ is simply expressing hers/his. It's not like the post said S&Z were awful; they are good but just not the best ever, and I agree with that assessment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't see JJ as being 'too critical'. We all have our opinions and JJ is simply expressing hers/his. It's not like the post said S&Z were awful; they are good but just not the best ever, and I agree with that assessment.
    JJ can be as critical as (s)he wants... it just bothers me that (s)he continuously gets Zhao's name wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    JJ can be as critical as (s)he wants... it just bothers me that (s)he continuously gets Zhao's name wrong.
    LOL. That bothers me too.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Is there an accepted way to spell it though? I always thought that when another language does not use the Latin alphabet and has to be transliterated, that you can't really spell it "wrong." Zhao is certainly the most common spelling, and the one the ISU uses, but Zhou is similar enough that it seems like it could be a valid spelling. Like, for example, I have seen variations in the spelling of Russian skaters' names, since they use the Cyrillic alphabet (Katya/Katia, Evgeny/Yevgeny, etc). I'm not an expert on Chinese translations by any stretch, so hopefully someone who knows more can weigh in, but I wouldn't assume that using the Zhou spelling is necessarily a mistake, or done in bad faith.

vCash
    Cherub, you are right. Some names may not have fixed spellings, and the examples you gave are very valid. I find Mishkutenok difficult to spell because I have seen different spellings of it. It's quite possible that Zhou is closer to the actual Chinese pronunciation. It's just that I have always seen it spelled at Zhao, and assumed that it was the accepted spelling. You are right though; these are proper names in another language that has no English equivalent alphabets/pronunciation. It's not like a word in a dictionary.

I was just being nitpicky when I should not have been.

vCash
    Zhao and Zhou are pronounced differently, Zhao is definitely the correct spelling for his last name.

vCash
    Janet Lynn for her artistry, charisma and joy in free-skating
    Midori Ito for being the best ladies jumper in history, a title she still holds over 20 years later, and her joyful personality on the ice
    Yu Na Kim for her beautiful jumping technique, her consistent 3-3 and her ability to transform herself on competitive ice
    Michelle Kwan for her charisma, beautiful line, technical ability, passion and joy--she combines the best of all the legendary skaters

vCash
    Zhao and Zhou are definitely different surnames and different characters in Chinese.

vCash
    Google Translate audibles for Zhao (赵) and Zhou (周).

They sound as distinct from each other as the English surnames Shaw and Shore do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    They sound as distinct from each other as the English surnames Shaw and Shore do.
    You should visit Brooklyn sometime

vCash
    Shizuka Arakawa

How on earth could we forget this?
    She is the first figure skater from Asia who won OGM.
    In the loooooooooooong history of figure skating, how epoch-making it was back then!
    Last edited by galaxy; 09-02-2011 at 11:15 AM.

vCash
    Yuna KIM.

The Only One.

The Holy One.

The One.

====================

Last edited by coolmoom; 09-02-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234