Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    LOL! Skating is so funny! I swear, it's completely subjective; people see things differently...

Some people here find Adelina a bit boring...but that's my impression of Liza T! It's so weird!
    It´s not weird, just like you said it´s subjective, to me it´s absolutely clear they both are very talented girls, I won´t be surprised if I find Adelina very exciting in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Liza at least is capable of more or less skating to the music, even though her expression could get much more mature and sophisticated (and obviously she needs decent choreography because her programs so far have been very poorly constructed).
    Musically, S is much more subtle but she uses her whole body to express the music. Check out the opening of her program. The spiral exit was timed perfectly to the music. And her Swan Lake exhibition shows she can be much more expressive with the right program.

T's music is much more colourful but frankly all she does is accentuate each beat with her arms and it gets extremely repetitive and annoying about 1 minute in. Would love to see her use her body / feet more to the music.

vCash
    Both are very talented obviously. Still, they are young and can change with time and improve artistically wise. So, to me for now it's hard to tell who is the most artistic. They are currently very dependent on their choreographer and their personnality will develop soon. In this area some grow up faster than others but it doesn't mean that the ones who take more time to develop will get less artistic. Anything can happen for them, depending on their coaching team, their personnal developement, their choices...

For now and after watching these programs, I can't say that I was impress by either of them artistically wise. I've had a preference for Liza whose style is for me more original, the way she presents herself, her energy, how she puts her arms, and overall look. She is kind of more "exotic". Adelina looks more like a ballerina but I don't find her very gracefull as the swan. Her arms are not particularly beautifull, she doesn't move them like a ballet dancer would do in the part. The reference in skating being Oksana Baiul, I can say that Adelina is not at all at Oksana's level.
    Actually choosing swan lake is very risky for a skater because it can reveal the lack of balletic qualities that could be hidden otherwise with another balletic or non balletic music.

vCash
    At present, I like Adelina more. However, I actually think Liza has more of a presence on the ice, and I think she has more artistic potential. But unfortunately, she reminds me of Plushenko a lot. I thought a young Plushenko had a lot of potential but he never developed it by having any good choreography.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Who could possibly argue with what the blogger says?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    This is not a problem with Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva. Instead, it goes to the heart of the problems with the current marking system. Time and again, you hear criticisms about Sotnikova and Tuktamsheva in relation to artistry, etc, and hear of comparisons with Cohen and Kwan. However, the emphasis of the current marking system is firmly on the technical side, whereas Kwan and Cohen were brought up under the old system in which there was far more emphasis on artistry. The fact of the matter is Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are a product of the current marking system and their coaches have quite obviously geared their coaching towards ensuring that they can meet the technical demands of the current marking system. Personally, I think Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are very good artistic skaters. Whilst it is quite true that they are not at the same level Cohen was at the same age, that is a completely unfair comparison because Cohen was one of the greatest artistic skaters of recent times and she was brought up under a completely different system in which there was much more emphasis on artistry.

A lot of us have said for quite a while now that there is far too much emphasis under the current system on the technical side and a better balance needs to be found between the technical and artistic sides of skating. A by-product of that is that the coaching of junior skaters is now firmly geared up to producing more technically gifted skaters. Consequently, compared to years gone by, today's juniors artistry is less developed than previous generations. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are typical examples of this change in emphasis. Now, if people have a problem with that, the answer is not to criticise Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, and their coaches. Instead, the answer is to do what a lot of us have doing for some time and calling for a change in the marking system. As stated, the balance has moved far too much towards the technical side and this has mean't that compared to years gone by, programs have become rather dull and boring - a bit too much of a jumping and technical competition.

As stated, I think both Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are very gifted artistic skaters and will improve as time goes by. Cohen and Kwan were better artistically at the same age, but that is simply because they were brought up under a different system in which there was greater reward for artistry. Had Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva been brought up under the old system, then right now they would almost certainly be better artistic skaters than they already are. Blame the system for that however, not them or their coaches. I would love to see the balance redressed in favour of more artistry as the programs from 10 years ago were far interesting to watch than they are at present.

I think that if the current system remains as it is, don't be surprised to see more and more technicians coming through rather than proper all-around skaters as time goes by. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are early evidence that that is likely to be the way of the future.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 08-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    ...I think that if the current system remains as it is, don't be surprised to see more and more technicians coming through rather than proper all-around skaters as time goes by. Sotninova and Tuktamysheva are early evidence that that is likely to be the way of the future...
    I agree. Sotnikova is a perfect example of a skater who has the basics down and does everything right (deserving high PCS scores) but still leaves a lot to be desired in the presentation area. Unfortunately, there's not much incentive to change this from a judging/scoring perspective.

vCash
    That's one of the main reasons people accuse COP of taking a lot of the beauty out of skating. Because the emphasis is skewed much more towards 3-3s and big jumps, a lot of the attention paid to things such as presentation and artistry have been set to the side in favor of learning stacking the jump arsenal.

I really hope that both girls will continue to develop and grow and that there will be better artistry, choreography, etc. in the next few years.

vCash
    I think I'd maybe be more impressed with Liza's skating if she looked more mature physically. Watching her compete last season, she just still looks like such a little girl out there, very tiny, all legs, and a bit ungainly. Adelina looks young too, but is significantly taller and sturdier than Liza and no longer has that colt-ish look about her, which helps her presence on the ice a lot, I think.

Of course, in another season or two, I'm sure Liza will grow up significantly and I may feel very differently about her skating once she does. Watching recent videos of Polina Agafonova, now that she's finally grown up, her skating all of a sudden looks a lot more impressive.

vCash
    Well I do. Why every skater has to be compared to Cohen and Kwan? Can't the skater have their own style or no style at all?
    For me what made the fgure skating in Kwan era was the fact that there were completely different athletes who competed with her successfully despite not having even a slight chance of matching up artistically such as Slutskaya. Not everyone is an American style ballerina. Thank God to that!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    Well I do. Why every skater has to be compared to Cohen and Kwan? Can't the skater have their own style or no style at all?

vCash
    For me what made the fgure skating in Kwan era was the fact that there were completely different athletes who competed with her successfully despite not having even a slight chance of matching up artistically such as Slutskaya. Not everyone is an American style ballerina. Thank God to that!!!
    but

vCash
    A skater certainly has a right to have no style
    I do not doubt the current system encourages points and not overall artistic impression. Still, if you have an artistic inclination, no system can kill it. See Nagasu, who has artistry and personality on ice despite mediocre choreography; and she showed that she "got it" at 14 already. See Jason Brown ( add any superlatives, the kid's got artistry in spades). See Anna Ovcharova ( sadly missing these days...). Sure a skater could develop artistry, but some just have it. So far IMO Adelina does not listen to music, despite her regal, balletic presence; Liza does, so I'd bet on Liza being more interesting later ( if she ever gets good choreo).
    Last edited by dinakt; 08-26-2011 at 02:51 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Uh. I can. I'll leave Sasha out of it. But I'll point out that Michelle Kwan when she debuted at 13/14 was hardly the most artistic skater ever. I think its quite unfair to compare either Adelina/Elizaveta when Michelle made her transformation. When Michelle had two years on the circuit than and was also a year older than they were last year.

If you want to compare age wise than you'd need to look at current programs.

I think that Adelina has all of the makings of becoming an absolutely beautiful skater. And I think Elizaveta has all of the makings of becoming a very dramatic charismatic skater.
    Last edited by bek; 08-26-2011 at 02:19 PM.

vCash
    When Kwan became the symbol of artistic skating? Did I miss something?

vCash
    I don't think anyone was talking of styles but believability. And if the comparison with Kwan or Cohen upsets you so much, you can take a look at Oksana Baiul or Mao Asada at the age of 14-15.

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I think that Adelina has all of the makings of becoming an absolutely beautiful skater. And I think Elizaveta has all of the makings of becoming a very dramatic charismatic skater.
    By no means would I ever rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
    When Kwan became the symbol of artistic skating? Did I miss something?
    Isn't she the skater who received the most number of 6.0's for the second mark?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Adelina looks more like a ballerina but I don't find her very gracefull as the swan. Her arms are not particularly beautifull, she doesn't move them like a ballet dancer would do in the part. The reference in skating being Oksana Baiul, I can say that Adelina is not at all at Oksana's level.
    Actually choosing swan lake is very risky for a skater because it can reveal the lack of balletic qualities that could be hidden otherwise with another balletic or non balletic music.
    I agree with you. I don't think Adelina had graceful arm moves or anything compared to an actual ballet dancer. Also I don't like when skaters try to copy ballet and even wear tutus! To interpretate ballet is very very difficult unless you have actually been practicing it for years and have the skills. Otherwise the program will look like a poor man's ballet. I don't understand why do they need to do these kind of ballet-on-ice type programs when they could be creating the choreography and costumes based on the beauty and art of skating.

vCash
    I don't think anyone was talking of styles but believability. And if the comparison with Kwan or Cohen upsets you so much, you can take a look at Oksana Baiul or Mao Asada at the age of 14-15.
    Believability of what exactly? I have seen all those skaters at those ages and I don't see how Adelina or Liza are less "believable" as a junior level skater than anyone you are going to bring up here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    I agree with you. I don't think Adelina had graceful arm moves or anything compared to an actual ballet dancer. Also I don't like when skaters try to copy ballet and even wear tutus! To interpretate ballet is very very difficult unless you have actually been practicing it for years and have the skills. Otherwise the program will look like a poor man's ballet. I don't understand why do they need to do these kind of ballet-on-ice type programs when they could be creating the choreography and costumes based on the beauty and art of skating.
    I agree with you that Adelina did not seem like a ballet dancer. However, I do have to defend her choice of music and program. Adelina's program is not going to look like ballet because she is not a ballet dancer. That's a fact. But skating to such a program will help her improve her line, help her pay attention to the music, work on her positions, etc. It's a good learning experience for her.

What I like most about Adelina's presentation is her confidence. No, she doesn't have the most graceful positions or the most fluid movements but she projects a lot of confidence in her skating that is very nice to see. I like Liza's arm positions a lot. She has a softness and lightness in her skating that I really love.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast