Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    If that were the case Takahashi would have won. Except for falling on his quad attempt his program blew away Lysacek and Plushenko's boring performances. I would say the defining factor of the mens event at the Olympics was politics, the need for a U.S gold medalist, the need for a gold medal for Frank Caroll, the advantage of being a reigning World Champion, Inman's inappropriate letter, etc...An ok skater who could stay on his feet was good enough.

What are you talking about?

Takahashi took himself out of the running when he fell, received a downgrade, and an edge call to boot. I don't think Takahashi's placement is even a point of discussion. Unless you think he should have placed silver?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Then maybe you could provide the link to the ISU rule that says all long programs have to have a quad in them. Otherwise, this is just more of your usual insane quadfest babbling.
    1998, 2002, 2006 gold winning LPs all had quads in them. It was not written in the requirements but the idea was that the judges cared about having a jump standard. 2010 Olympic judges had no jump standard and that had to be remedied.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    And I personally sleep better EVERY night knowing that caseyedwards and it's ilk cannot rest comfortably knowing that Evan Lysacek won an OGM without a quad. I rest so well basking in their discomfort...
    It was the people and tech panels of the ISU who changed values and requirements. They don't live in your fantasyland that says the first winner without a quad since 1994 was somehow a good thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    1998, 2002, 2006 gold winning LPs all had quads in them. It was not written in the requirements but the idea was that the judges cared about having a jump standard. 2010 Olympic judges had no jump standard and that had to be remedied.

--->

I know it wounds you to have Evan back.

And he might have a quad this time around! lol

vCash
    ob·ses·sion [uhb-sesh-uhn]
    noun
    1. the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.
    2. the idea, image, desire, feeling, etc., itself.
    3. the state of being obsessed.
    4. the act of obsessing.

Seriously, casey. Give it up, give it a rest, get some help.

No matter how much you obsess about the quad, you will never, ever change the fact that Evan Lysacek is the 2010 Olympic Gold Medalist.

vCash
    He tried a quad at 2010 US Nationals. It was just too risky. That is why most men had stopped doing quads. Quads had nearly vanished from Short programs. The fact that the 2010 Olympic champion was quadless was a disaster. The three previous Olympic champions did them. The sport had moved backwards in a horrible way and the ISU had to make sure that programs like Lysaceks could not win again over a program lke Plushenkos.
    I think describing the event with the words 'disaster' and 'horrible step backwards' is an overstatement. Some Olympic competitions are better than others and the sport moves backwards and forwards in terms of technical content. How many years was until another lady landed a 3A after Ito did?

And 1992 was a poorer Olympic men's competition than 2010. I don't know how many mistakes Petrenko made - have not been inspired to rewatch it - but Lysacek was brilliant by comparison. And I far prefer Petrenko to Lysacek.

I don't even like Lysacek - in fact I dislike him enough to hope that he something impedes his return to competition this year - - but he won the Olympic title fair and square.

To have a real complete program a quad is necessary. Like it was for three Olympics.
    But it wasn't necessary in 2010. Lysacek had a more complete program than Plushenko. And again, I'm not a Lysacek fan - not to mention, used to be a huge Plushenko fan. It's more accurate to say that the quad can give a skater an advantage. However that advantage does not always equal a higher scoring advantage. This was even true under 6.0.

A quad in the LP is not required and as such, is not necessary.

vCash
    Hard to see the landing of that quad with that girl skating by right as he landed. Wonder if it was fully rotated or not.

Good luck to Evan. Looking forward to seeing Lysacek vs Chan at worlds this year.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Being obsessed with the quad and its value is one thing. But saying stupid sh*t like "2010 Olympics judges had no jump standard" is something else altogether. So the 2010 Olympic judges were just making up the point values for the jumps that were performed? Really, if your arguments had any shred of credibility left, coming out with ridiculousness like this just destroys any believability you might have ever had.
    Last edited by overedge; 08-21-2011 at 02:37 AM.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Lysacek vs Chan...

Such a "rivalry" only exists only in desperate Americans minds.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    A Quad should be a tie breaker when the SKATING is equal.

Of course, Chan, with his 3 Quads, trumps them all.

I hope Dornbush has started training a Quad.

I am hoping for a Dornbush VS Chan scenario.

Evan, Johnny, Plushenko, Joubert, et all, got there multiple Olympic berths, and now they are stagnant. Although, with the next Olympics in Sochi, they will pull Plushenko out of moth balls, patch his holes, and send him out on the ice to jump and gyrate as if he is still cutting edge a la 2002 (10 SEASONS AGO).
    Last edited by bardtoob; 08-21-2011 at 03:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Lysacek vs Chan...

True. Lysacek won't come anywhere near Chan and neither will any of the other American men except for maybe Rippon, if he really has a quad lutz.

One quad isn't enough anymore. They need to have a quad in the short and two in the long. I don't see any of the American men doing that any time soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    And I personally sleep better EVERY night knowing that caseyedwards and it's ilk cannot rest comfortably knowing that Evan Lysacek won an OGM without a quad. I rest so well basking in their discomfort...
    Being obsessed with the quad and its value is one thing. But saying stupid sh*t like "2010 Olympics judges had no jump standard" is something else altogether. So the 2010 Olympic judges were just making up the point values for the jumps that were performed? Really, if your arguments had any shred of credibility left, coming out with ridiculousness like this just destroys any believability you might have ever had.

vCash
    Caseyedwards never had any believability to start with. All he/she wants to do is rehash the last Olympics. How utterly droll.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    What are you talking about?

Takahashi took himself out of the running when he fell, received a downgrade, and an edge call to boot. I don't think Takahashi's placement is even a point of discussion. Unless you think he should have placed silver?
    Alot of the calls on his jumps were questionable, and the edge calls were ridiculous in fact. By contrast Evan did a visibly underrotated 2nd triple axel which should have been downgraded but wasnt.

You either werent paying much attention or have a short memory if you think Takahashi was not part of the discussion post Vancouver. He was very much a part of it, just as Plushenko also was.

vCash
    Lysacek vs Chan...

Exactly. Evan with or without a quad would need Chan to skate half the program on his ass to have a chance of beating him, and I am even further from a Chan fan than an Evan fan. Comparing Evan from Vancouver to Chan from the 2011 Canadians, 2011 Worlds, or even 2011 Grand Prix final is just comical to take seriously as a potential rivalry.

vCash
    Lysacek won gold in Vancouver because CoP heavily rewards crazy flailings, not because quads weren't rewarded enough IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Lysacek won gold in Vancouver because CoP heavily rewards crazy flailings, not because quads weren't rewarded enough IMO.
    Well that explains why Plush scored so well and got that undeserved silver. Got it.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Exactly. Evan with or without a quad would need Chan to skate half the program on his ass to have a chance of beating him, and I am even further from a Chan fan than an Evan fan. Comparing Evan from Vancouver to Chan from the 2011 Canadians, 2011 Worlds, or even 2011 Grand Prix final is just comical to take seriously as a potential rivalry.
    I mean, the judges don't want that kind of a "rivalry". They gave the OGM to Lysacek only because they didn't want to give it to someone who rested whole three years. That is not good for the motivation of other skaters and the development of sports in general. Of course, if Plushenko skated perfectly, they didn't have a choice, but he left some rooms to be exploited. Lysacek is someone they just want to forget and move on.

BTW, how many quads Lysacek is going to attempt? He will need at least two in order to counter, for example Kozuka.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Lysacek is someone they just want to forget and move on.
    Yeah, that is a good reason to award someone an Olympic gold.

Judges: "Gee. Lets give him masses of positive GOE and some great PCS and maybe he'll just go away."

vCash
    Lysacek vs Chan...

You're right. There wasn't much of a rivalry in Vancouver.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast