Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    That even comes through on the video. Yagudin's performance that night has the power to make you hold your breath. An absolutely undisputed champion, and even Plushenko will admit that. (It kills him, but he will do it.)

He-he

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    That even comes through on the video. Yagudin's performance that night has the power to make you hold your breath. An absolutely undisputed champion, and even Plushenko will admit that. (It kills him, but he will do it.)
    No, Plushy also thinks he deserved the platinum medal there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    So, he basically agrees that Yags deserved the gold.

vCash
    Not at all. She wasn't fair at all. Plushenko could have been flawless that night and she wouldn't have cared. She was downright nasty about him. Even Scott Hamilton seemed to realise that she was overdoing the hate, although he actually physically stopped himself from complimenting Plushenko at one point.
    The commentary was about the fact how Plushenko actually performed in the freeskate that night and not about what it could have beeen.... What precisely did she say that was nasty?
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-06-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I actually enjoed Abt as much as Plushy, but it was as much the music and his divine face that had me at hello.....I know he made mistakes. But a Russian 1-2-3 podium would not have broken this USA-er's heart.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I know he made mistakes. But a Russian 1-2-3 podium would not have broken this USA-er's heart.
    Mine either. Even with mistakes, Abt is a more enjoyable skater to watch for me than Goebel is, regardless of how many quads he lands.

vCash
    Oh dear, Sandra Bezic talked about Plushenko on her twitter even before the Lp.
    I think she is secretely in love with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post

If anyone deserves a platinum medal it's Yagudin.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Yagudin was amazing that night! And I was really happy for Goebel, I thought he deserved the bronze, he put everything he had into that performance. Plushy was really good too, despite the mistakes. It was a correct podium, IMO.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Aww, I'm getting all sentimental, all nostalgic, all teary, thinking of Nagano 1998 and SLC 2002! Kulik, Candeloro (not a great skater, but a hell of a performer! that Nagano night ...), and then Abt, even Plush!, majestic YAGS!!! in 2002 ... I remember there have been a lot of posters in skating boards who were swooning about a Russian Dream Podium right before SLC 2002 ....

T H O S E !!! were the days, my friend!
    Last edited by Zokko!; 09-07-2011 at 06:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    But Alexei's moment was filled with...redemption? I don't know. Proving himself? His attack and emotion were beyond anything I have ever seen before or since. And it was beyond mere technical skills.
    He said that winning Olympic Gold was his destiny - and that's how he skated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    He said that winning Olympic Gold was his destiny - and that's how he skated.
    I don´t agree, he was last to skate and played it safe very clearly. His performance at 2002 Worlds was definetely better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I don´t agree, he was last to skate and played it safe very clearly. His performance at 2002 Worlds was definetely better.
    He may not have included all the technical content he was capable of, but he did quite a lot, and the performance was truly special. Often at the Olympics the men's event ends up a letdown - not so in SLC.

vCash
    I have to agree with Jaana that Yag's performances at SLC weren't that memorable for me. He was clean and did what he needed to do to win, but the passion and the excitement just weren't there. "Winter" was a bit cautious. I never cared for MITIM as a program and thought the sword fighting sequence was a pale imitation of Candelaro's. This is nitpicking, but it always bothered me that Alexei was looking only at his hand when doing the sword fight instead of looking at his opponent. That was a sure way to get killed, LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I do think Worlds was better...but opening with a 4/3/2 followed by another quad and a ginormous 3a is playing safe?

Banned Member
    vCash
    Yeah, I didn't quite understand why Scott was saying Yags was playing it safe and ceding the LP to Plush. I think to maybe a small extent it affected the viewers at home who then subconsciously felt that he was dumbing down his program greatly. It was a strong technical performance, no breaks or obvious misses. I have no recollection of it, MITIM, but I'm sure it would hold up today.

vCash
    While Winter was better at Worlds, I disagree that MITIM was better at Worlds. There were several key moments where he wasn't as with the music at Worlds as he was at the Olympics and his overall performance had more feeling in SLC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    While Winter was better at Worlds, I disagree that MITIM was better at Worlds. There were several key moments where he wasn't as with the music at Worlds as he was at the Olympics and his overall performance had more feeling in SLC.
    I thought his best Winter was at Euros, but agree about MITIM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I thought his best Winter was at Euros
    About to say the same.

On the other hand, MITIM wasn't so good at Euros (comparitively speaking) and his victory with it* kind of .... well, let's just say I couldn't work up much enthusiasm for MITIM after that.

*ABT wuz ROBBED!!!!!
    Last edited by Mafke; 09-14-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: ABT WUZ ROBBED!!!!!

vCash
    It's quite hard for me to understand why some people complain Yagudin "played it save" in 2002 with a 4-3-2-combo plus another single quad while the recent "Olympic Champion 2010" didn't even manage one single quad ...

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast