Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I'm surprised Lysacek has time to train anything what with his busy schedule of petition drives, public protests, poster making, PSAs, grass roots organizing and other anti-quad activism....
    Man, I know. I finally had to tell those people from that "Qrush the Quad" group that if they called me ONE more time asking for money, I was gonna become a Plushenko uber.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    No they weren't. Lysacek won the Olympics and worlds without one. He was right . The quad was not the defining factor at the Olympics, a complete program was.
    If that were the case Takahashi would have won. Except for falling on his quad attempt his program blew away Lysacek and Plushenko's boring performances. I would say the defining factor of the mens event at the Olympics was politics, the need for a U.S gold medalist, the need for a gold medal for Frank Caroll, the advantage of being a reigning World Champion, Inman's inappropriate letter, etc...An ok skater who could stay on his feet was good enough.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I would say the defining factor of the mens event at the Olympics was politics, the need for a U.S gold medalist, the need for a gold medal for Frank Caroll, the advantage of being a reigning World Champion, Inman's inappropriate letter, etc...
    What kind of crack are you smoking? "The need for a US gold medalist"?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    What kind of crack are you smoking? "The need for a US gold medalist"?
    ISU were struggling financially by that point. Much of their income past had come from U.S TV deals, U.S sponsors, etc..which had dried up in recent years. It had been 12 years since an American Gold medalist. So yes a U.S gold medalist to try and drum up some interest in figure skating in the U.S again was very important.

vCash
    ISU were struggling financially by that point. Much of their income past had come from U.S TV deals, U.S sponsors, etc..which had dried up in recent years. It had been 12 years since an American Gold medalist. So yes a U.S gold medalist to try and drum up some interest in figure skating in the U.S again was very important.
    12 years, eh? I guess you're counting out Sarah Hughes.

Takahashi not only fell on his quad, but it was downgraded to a double..that's a major point loss. He also stepped out of a 3-3 later in the program. If he played it safe with a triple instead of a quad, he likely would have won the event. It was a risk he didn't need to take.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Evan is not my favorite all time skater, and neither is Plushy although I have great respect for both of them. Here's a thought: Anybody can be happy and jubilant in victory. It takes a class act to be gracious in defeat. Plushy is a great skater-one of the best of all times. He deserves to be supported with class, not by trashing other skaters ad nauseum. It isn't like it's a life-threatening issue.

I know I know....don't feed the troll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    12 years, eh? I guess you're counting out Sarah Hughes.

Takahashi not only fell on his quad, but it was downgraded to a double..that's a major point loss. He also stepped out of a 3-3 later in the program. If he played it safe with a triple instead of a quad, he likely would have won the event. It was a risk he didn't need to take.
    triple?

I'm not convinced that he would have won the event, look at how he was treated in the sp which he should have won hands down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    You can say it as many times as you want, but that doesn't make it true.
    Truer words were never written ...
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Plushy is a great skater-one of the best of all times. He deserves to be supported with class, not by trashing other skaters ad nauseum. It isn't like it's a life-threatening issue.

I know I know....don't feed the troll.
    Are you saying caseyedwards is really Plushenko????

vCash
    The ISU made it true by changing the rules of COP after Vancouver.

vCash
    The fact that the 2010 Olympic champion was quadless was a disaster. The three previous Olympic champions did them. The sport had moved backwards in a horrible way and the ISU had to make sure that programs like Lysaceks could not win again over a program lke Plushenkos.

This is most I have laughed while reading this site in a long time. Thanks.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Of course, had Takahashi played it safe like Lysacek did (which, considering his far more serious medical issues, would have been perfectly understandable), chances are we'd have had a different OGM altogether.
    Possibly, and it would have been my preference, but had he landed the quad cleanly, he still would have not won on points. His -GOE on the downgraded 3T in the 3F/3T combination, and the edge calls were also critical in a tight contest.

Takahashi lost steam perceptibly in the middle of his program. Watching it live and not knowing about the downgrade on the quad, that was where I felt he lost it. Apart from his entry into the quad combo, Plushenko didn't skate with his characteristic speed and power, which would have won him the title. Lysacek was consistently fast and powerful from beginning to end of that program.

If that were the case Takahashi would have won. Except for falling on his quad attempt his program blew away Lysacek and Plushenko's boring performances.
    Uh, no.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-21-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Blergh
    vCash
    Could we call the COP revisions after 2006 putting more emphasis on complete programs anti-Plushenko?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Could we call the COP revisions after 2006 putting more emphasis on complete programs anti-Plushenko?

I don't see why not.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    triple?

I'm not convinced that he would have won the event, look at how he was treated in the sp which he should have won hands down.
    Oops, I meant triple. He lost because of GOE in the SP, IMO. Plushenko had the quad, but Lysacek had the GOE, especially on the spins. Takahashi is a competent spinner, but they're nothing to write home about. He did deserve the highest PCS though. I have no clue how Lambiel beat him there, and Lysacek should have been behind too, probably.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    There was no thought that those changes would lead to the virtual elimination of the quad from mens skating.

I think it is a good thing that Takahashi thought to much of the Olympics and skating to go with all triple programs. He easily could have and done well. He had to take a whole season off because of injury and people would have understood but he thought too much of skating and the standards for himself. All triple for Takahashi? Never.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    The ISU made it true by changing the rules of COP after Vancouver.
    Then maybe you could provide the link to the ISU rule that says all long programs have to have a quad in them. Otherwise, this is just more of your usual insane quadfest babbling.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I don't care for Lysacek and that Olympic Gold winning program could have been skated by any other skater. But I have to say that re-watching all Olympic medal winning performances of recent 20 years, Lysacek's program does not compare well at all.

vCash
    Well, neither do the Ladies Gold medalists since 1992, imo (with the exception of YuNa).

vCash
    And I personally sleep better EVERY night knowing that caseyedwards and it's ilk cannot rest comfortably knowing that Evan Lysacek won an OGM without a quad. I rest so well basking in their discomfort...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast