Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

According to IN: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

As she moves to balance elite competition with what promises to be a challenging academic load, Lynn Smith and Justin Dillon will be her primary guides.
    I'm happy for her for finding a team and giving next year a shot!

ETA: Also noticed that she's skating to Firebird for the LP.

vCash
    I wish Rachael the best of luck with her new coaches and hope she has a great season!

vCash
    Best wishes to Flatt and her coaches in the new season. This also sounds pretty cool:

Before selecting her new mentors, Flatt examined the Northern California coaching scene and its sometimes busy rinks, spending time with Sergei Ponomarenko, the 1992 Olympic ice dance champion, and four-time U.S. men's champion Charlie Tickner, who won the world title in 1978. She plans to continue her relationship with both.

"I'm going to work with Charlie one or two times a week, in [nearby] Redwood City when I'm in a pinch and I don't have the luxury to drive down to San Jose," she said. "I'm also planning to work with Sergei on occasion in San Jose. I really won't be able to finalize everything until I have my school schedule."
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Glad Rachael has a plan in place and that her stress fracture is healing. I wish her well.
    Also, it looks like Tom Z won't have any hand in Rachael's training going forward. Good.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Yay for Justin Dillon!

Interesting choice for the FS.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    IIRC, Lynn Smith has coached many young skaters to success at the lower levels over the years (Kelcie Lee when she won her 2004 Juvenile Girls title?). Smith coached Kevin Shum, a last-minute Novice Men's alternate, to a 9th place finish at 2011 US Nationals.

I believe Smith and Dillon currently co-coach Shum and Gwendolyn Prescott (2010 Intermediate silver medalist who has been competing Junior so far this summer), among others.

Flatt skated to "Firebird" for her FS when she won her 2005 U.S. Novice National title.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-19-2011 at 05:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Also, it looks like Tom Z won't have any hand in Rachael's training going forward. Good.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I always enjoyed Justin's skating, even if he was never a top contender.

It will be a challenge balancing Stanford's academics with sports, but I wish all involved good luck.

And even though I don't really love "Firebird" too much, it will make for a nice change of pace with all the "swans" we are getting this season.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Hm. I'm not sure I like what she said about Lori choreographing the program in two days...But I like her new coaching team, I love her attitude, and I wish her all the best. Go Rachael!

vCash
    I hope she adds that 3F+3T and that her 2A+3T becomes fully rotated. I'm still skeptical about the 3Lz-3Lo but I would love for that to happen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
    Hm. I'm not sure I like what she said about Lori choreographing the program in two days...But I like her new coaching team, I love her attitude, and I wish her all the best. Go Rachael!
    I'm hoping that what she meant was that, given how natural the program felt to her, it only took her two days to pick up on what Lori choreographed for her. I'm hoping. If that's the case, I'm very optimistic.

vCash
    I wonder if they are just updating the version of Firebird she used in 2005; perhaps that is why she picked up the choreo so quickly?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I didn't realize Lynn was coaching down in San Jose. Last time I was skating, she was up in Oakland. She's a good technical coach. Justin's a good guy, but I have no sense of what kind of coach he is. His students seem to love him though.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Firebird might be a good choice, can't wait to see it. Maybe this darker music is better suited giving her almost a Vanessa Gusmeroli/Irina Slutskaya vibe. I'd like to see her in some kind of black pant suit. Hope she has fun this year and brings it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Firebird might be a good choice, can't wait to see it. Maybe this darker music is better suited giving her almost a Vanessa Gusmeroli/Irina Slutskaya vibe. I'd like to see her in some kind of black pant suit. Hope she has fun this year and brings it.
    I can't think of any two skaters more unlike than Irina S & Vanessa G. But I agree Firebird might be a good choice. She won't be able to do cutesy moves with that music. Or she shouldn't be able to.

vCash
    So, she will be skating with Dillon and Smith primarily, and also working with Tickner and Ponomarenko.

I like in the article that she mentions she needs help with the packaging and artistry. I think she'll be on the right track. Although, I'm a little concerned that she's behind due to time off from her tibia injury

vCash
    I really like these coaching choices and am now actually excited to see her this season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I hope she adds that 3F+3T and that her 2A+3T becomes fully rotated. I'm still skeptical about the 3Lz-3Lo but I would love for that to happen!
    The article says triple lutz-half loop-triple loop, which is 3Lz+3Lo+SEQ (bw: 8.88). I don't think the 3Lz+3Lo is possible for her in competition, even though it was stated, that she would attempt the combination last season.

The 3Lz+3Lo+SEQ seems more possible. Still, I don't think the sequence is a good idea - too much risk, but little gain... she can fit in 7 triples another way.

vCash
    She is skating to Firebird..............Really? Oh man. That music is so nuanced, so compelling. If you don't skate with a level of depth of understanding, feeling, the music, and lay on a level of head ringing, arm shaking.........this could be a nightmare! I thought Joannie Rochette's "Firebird" was so fabulous - her upper body carriage and use of arms.............amazing. . And love that funky Russian guy. I thought his interpretation really brought something superb to the ice.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I agree Firebird might be a good choice. She won't be able to do cutesy moves with that music.
    Don't give anyone ideas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    So, she will be skating with Dillon and Smith primarily, and also working with Tickner and Ponomarenko.

I like in the article that she mentions she needs help with the packaging and artistry. I think she'll be on the right track. Although, I'm a little concerned that she's behind due to time off from her tibia injury
    I'm hoping that Rachael will use this as a rebuilding year, and not focus on getting to Worlds. If she gets a late start and simply works on artistry and getting back on track, she may not make Worlds (but still might get 4CC), but could be in a great position for next season. This might also be a good pace for her in her first year of college.

Good luck Rachael!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast