View Poll Results: Who should make the world team?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ali Raisman

40 90.91%
  • Jordyn Wieber

41 93.18%
  • Chellsie Memmel

34 77.27%
  • Alicia Sacramone

43 97.73%
  • Shawn Johnson

11 25.00%
  • Mackenzie Caquatto

16 36.36%
  • Anna Li

11 25.00%
  • Rebecca Bross

11 25.00%
  • Mckayla Maroney

34 77.27%
  • Gabrielle Douglas

3 6.82%
  • Bridget Sloan

3 6.82%
  • Bridgette Caquatto

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

vCash

Gymnastics US Ladies World Team Poll

Who should make the ladies team?

vCash
    My team:

AA: Bross, Wieber, Raisman

Vault: Wieber, Sacramone, Maroney
    UB: Bross, Memmel, Wieber
    Beam: Wieber, Bross, Sacramone
    Floor: Raisman, Wieber, Maroney

I am assuming Memmel has full difficulty bars, Bross is healthier, and Maroney shakes out her floor jitters.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I left off Bross. She looks awful but I know that by Worlds she could be amazing. I would have her on the team or as an alternate. My guess is she will be on the team and that Li will be one of the alternates. If Bross struggles in prelims then Li will come on and do bars in TF. The new rules allow for substitutions after prelims. It actually might be a wise idea for Marta. Bross is usually reliable and then substitute her with Li in TF for the potentially bigger bars score and all of this without wasting a spot, we essentially get a 7 member team.

TF:
    Bars: Li, Memmel, Wieber
    Beam: Sacramone, Memmel, Wieber
    Floor: Maroney, Wieber, Raisman
    Vault: Maroney, Sacramone, Wieber
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I think with Bross, she'll be kept in the process at least, but she'll either 1) take herself out of it if she feels too injured or unprepared, 2) look better and better and get herself on the World team, or 3) keep herself around but not improve to the point she needs to get to by Worlds. I can't imagine a situation where Marta says, "well you look good enough for prelims but not good enough for TF." It's really too bad for Macko and Anna Li that they don't have another good event besides bars, though. Their spot on the team is always so up in the air. If they don't hit their bars on night two, Shawn could be considered for the spot based on her beam and bars potential...especially if Maroney can't impress anywhere other than vault. Tomorrow could be interesting.

It makes me sad that we have to settle for Memmel's 14.3 as part of our UB team. Is she capable of much higher than that? I really wonder sometimes if ASac really tried at bars, whether she could get good at it. Maybe with another coach on that event?

vCash
    No, Asac could not get good at bars. She did try but it is much too late. Bars is all about basics and she never got those down.

Memmel can add in her Hindorff to pak connection, that should add in quite a bit to her D score.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I actually think Macko is a great alternate. She is a nice clean vaulter and fine on floor, obviously good on bars. A lot would have to happen to need her on beam in finals, thank goodness.

vCash
    I think Bross might still be picked for the team but will take herself out as she is clearly injured right now.

vCash
    She is clearly injured? How so? It seems to me she is just not in competition shape and hasn't done the numbers yet.
    -Brian

vCash
    I went with Wieber, Maroney, Raisman, Sacramone, Memmel and Douglas (I think Martha might take her over Macko simply for experience).

VT: Douglas, Raisman, Sacramone, Wieber, Maroney
    UB: Raisman, Maroney, Douglas, Wieber, Memmel
    BB: Maroney, Raisman, Sacramone, Memmel, Wieber
    FX: Memmel, Maroney, Sacramone, Raisman, Wieber

vCash
    Douglas isn't getting anywhere near the Worlds team. She'll probably get Pan Ams.

My team is Jordyn, Maroney, Sac, Aly, Memmel and Macko.

The US has a major uphill battle without Becca's bars.

vCash
    I wouldn't put Douglas on my Worlds team either. Maybe alternate if people begin breaking and you have no choice, but she is way too risky. No consistency. She had this problem BEFORE Nationals so this wasn't just a bad competition.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxRose81 View Post
    My team is Jordyn, Maroney, Sac, Aly, Memmel and Macko.
    That would probably be the strongest team the US could field given who made the national team.

vCash
    I think Mackenzie Caquatto will be on the team too with Li not it.

vCash
    Without having watched tonight and just going by scores, my ESP is telling me that the team will end up as Raisman, Sacramone, Wieber, Maroney, Johnson, and Douglas.

Chellsie Memmel's scores are soooo low other than on BB. Everyone talks about how solid she is but if her hits only bring 14.4's in national meets, what's the point? Mackenzie and Anna are basically going to be there for one pretty good score on one event, maybe if they don't fall off. Macko hasn't improved on any events since last season and Anna hasn't quite done enough either, so I don't see either making a compelling case- if they were scoring 16.0's instead of 15.0's, it would be a different story.

I see Maroney on the team because potentially she can contribute a decent floor score in addition to her fantastic vault score. Same with Sacramone, who is also good on beam. Wieber is good at all 4 events, thank goodness for team USA about that! On this team, Raisman wouldn't even be needed on vault, but she can still contribute somewhat on beam and floor. Shawn can generally be counted on to not fall off bars and who knows maybe she can bump her score up. And a beam score of 14.7 is semi-promising. I can totally see Martha being more interested in lighting a fire under an already consistent Shawn than trying to coax consistency out of Li or Macko. Douglas, like Macko and Anna, really only has bars at this point. But she's one for the future and I think the team coordinators would push for that.
    Last edited by haribobo; 08-21-2011 at 08:22 AM.

vCash
    I can totally see Martha being more interested in lighting a fire under an already consistent Shawn than trying to coax consistency out of Li or Macko. Douglas, like Macko and Anna, really only has bars at this point. But she's one for the future and I think the team coordinators would push for that.
    I disagree about Macko. Macko does have a very good DTY and is decent on bars. She's also been extremely consistent on bars these last few weeks. I wouldn't take Johnson over Macko unless Shawn upgrades her bars. Sloan may be an option too.