Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Unhappy Mystery of the figure skater whose picture was found with ashes in Arlington Cemetery

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...J_story_1.html

Bizarre. Her pic was mysteriously found in a plot at Arlington Cemetery. They don't know who she is.

Investigators have been able to narrow down that this photo was taken at the Ice Works rink in Aston, PA around 1999 and 2000.

Was this perhaps a Jr. competitor in Liberty Open 1999? [if the comp. existed back then ... ] Since she's in a skating outfit, this looks like a competition, not a practice.

Heck, maybe someone on FSU could recognize her!
    Last edited by olympic; 08-19-2011 at 09:30 PM.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I was just coming here to post this. Bizarre.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The Liberty Summer Competition moved to IceWorks in Aston, PA in July 2004. The competition was renamed 'Liberty' around 2002 and relocated to the Pond Ice Arena in Newark, Delaware for 2 summers (2002 & 2003). It was known as 'Wissahickon' up until 2001 when it was hosted by the club of that name in the Northwest section of Philadelphia known as Chestnut Hill.

ETA: I just checked the IceWorks site and it said that the "Twin Rinks of Aston opened its doors to the public in October of 1997." I don't recall when and how big the skating competitions were that were held there in those early years.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-19-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I wish the article gave more details. She was cremated and put in Arlington? Where did the picture come from? You would think it would be relatively easy to find a competitive skater who went missing. Her costume looked like the typical juvenile/novice skating dress, so her parents put some money into her skating. Strange.

vCash
    It was a bit confusing, I had to read it twice before I saw that under the picture it says that her picture was found in a bag in an urn of ashes of an unknown soldier. So she is alive and if is still into skating, may very well be an FSU'er....
    Last edited by JamieElena; 08-19-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: clarification

vCash
    The picture reminded me of a young Kati Hadford.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    This is definitely IceWorks, but it's not the Liberty competition because Sylvia pointed out it wasn't even hosted there until 2004. Very bizarre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I wish the article gave more details. She was cremated and put in Arlington? Where did the picture come from?
    I don't think they think they are her ashes- I think they think the girl in the picture might provide a clue as to whose ashes they are. Like maybe her picture was set in with her Dad's ashes.

vCash
    Arlington has major problems right now with the discovery that a lot of the graves have been misidentified and the remains of more than one person being buried at a particular location. In regards to this case, last year they discovered a mass grave with 8 urns, all marked "unknown" and so they are trying to identify the remains. As JamieElena said, the photo was found with the urn and they are hoping that it is a clue as to who is the soldier in the urn. Here's an updated article with more info on what's going on at Arlington.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...jOJ_story.html

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Maybe a change in the thread title would be helpful, to indicate "figure skater whose picture was found with ashes in Arlington..."

A board like fsu may be the absolute best possible way to get this picture in front of the right person, identify the skater and ultimately the person whose ashes they are. I hope getting the picture out on the internet like this leads to the answer.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Arlington has major problems right now with the discovery that a lot of the graves have been misidentified and the remains of more than one person being buried at a particular location. In regards to this case, last year they discovered a mass grave with 8 urns, all marked "unknown" and so they are trying to identify the remains. As JamieElena said, the photo was found with the urn and they are hoping that it is a clue as to who is the soldier in the urn. Here's an updated article with more info on what's going on at Arlington.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...jOJ_story.html
    Ahhhh, it all makes sense - now that I see I hadn't read page 1 of the story only page 2. All the links before this pointed to page 2 and I didn't see there was a page 1.

The heartwrenching thing is thinking about families not knowing or who believe their relatives remains lie somewhere where they aren't.

vCash
    The pose looks very Don Quixote-like, even though the dress doesn't scream that music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I don't think they think they are her ashes- I think they think the girl in the picture might provide a clue as to whose ashes they are. Like maybe her picture was set in with her Dad's ashes.
    That's the impression I got too- sounds like they don't know WHO the ashes belong to, but since it's in Arlington, a soldier seems most likely.

Saw the article this morning and was wondering if anyone had posted it here yet- hopefully someone can solve the mystery!

vCash
    I found this timeline for IceWorks:
    http://iceworksskatingcomplex.wordpress.com/timeline/

If IceWorks only had interim probationary status as a USFSA (now USFS) member in 1999 you wouldn't expect there to have been any major competitions at the time, especially as the rink wasn't fully expanded till 2001. So I'm not sure about the likeliness of it not being a local skater despite the lack of identification so far.

Unfortunately you can't really tell if it's even a competition or a run-through trying out a new dress...
    Last edited by Lara; 08-19-2011 at 03:57 PM.

vCash
    Could it have been an ISI competition?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    The pose looks very Don Quixote-like, even though the dress doesn't scream that music.
    She has her right arm raised in a classical ballet 3rd position. If her left arm was on her hip, then maybe...but one arm raised won`t tell us much, except that it wasn`t river dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think you're right, I'm not sure why it was assumed they were her ashes and not her father, grandfather, brother etc. It was a horribly written story and hopefully someone can write a better one with more facts and someone may recognize the girl in the photo if not the girl herself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    That's the impression I got too- sounds like they don't know WHO the ashes belong to, but since it's in Arlington, a soldier seems most likely.

Saw the article this morning and was wondering if anyone had posted it here yet- hopefully someone can solve the mystery!
    Now that I've read both pages (I, too, mistakenly read page 2 and believed it was the only page. Whoops!), I think the question of whose remains they are is somewhat unsolved, too. According to the article:

If they find out who the young girl is, the agents believe they’ll be able to identify who is in the urn.

But they have only a weathered, grainy photograph, and lots of unanswered questions. Is she the relative of a deceased veteran — a daughter, or granddaughter, perhaps? Did her family include the photograph in the urn, as is sometimes done, because they wanted her to be with her relative for eternity? Could the remains be hers? Is she maybe still alive?
    I do agree with the person who said that FSU may be the best place to find the answer to this kind of question. I hope this mystery gets solved!

vCash
    The first entry is a major Error In Fact. The Girl Ashes were NOT found in urn in Arlington National Cemetary... A photo of this young girl (at the time) was found in an urn with an unidentified soldier's ashes. Would mods correct this please or have the originator of the thread redo the initial information. The correct info is circulating the web via Facebook and Twitter.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    The picture reminded me of a young Kati Hadford.
    Hate to double-post, but still:

1. Kati Hadford is a native Virginian
    2. She's 22 right now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast