Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Go, have fun. Since there is a group of people you want to see, you'll be fine. If worse comes to worst, you can always bag it, and go somewhere else.

As as many have mentioned, time has a way of changing everyone. Sure, you'll probably have a few people that will have their trophy spouse, or will try to impress you with their career or status, but so what? If they feel like they have to do that, that's their insecurity.

Don't worry about the fact that you are just going to college and etc. pick out a couple of good stories from your 10 year journey. I didn't go to college right away, and a lot of people said they wish they hadn't gone right out of HS because they didn't know what they wanted.

Let us know how it goes.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Very few of my classmates ever got out of that little town & we didn't have much in common anymore although they were nice enough.

We went to my husband's 20th. He's from a teeny tiny town in Pennsylvania (his graduating class had only 100 people). I'd say 90% of the people there had never left the area and most of them hadn't had education past high school. Now, I'm not trying to be elitist, but I had absolutely nothing to say to most of them past "hi" and "I'm from michigan - we met in the Navy" because I literally felt like I had been dropped into a time machine. All the women talked about their babies and all the men about football and very little else. I ended up spending most of my time with the bartender, where at least we could discuss booze. After that experience, DH was very glad to have moved away from there and seen something of life!

vCash
    My 30-year is coming up in early October. Part of me would like to go, but I'm really self conscious about my weight (I'm probably 40-45 pounds overweight). I've always been pretty shy & socially awkward, but somehow ended up the town's festival queen & a cheerleader back in the day. The thought of people at the reunion gossiping about how I've "let myself go" makes my heart ache. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it's hard.

vCash
    My 20th is in a few months and my husband and I can't afford to go back (we graduated in the same class.) I keep in touch on facebook and I did go to my 10th and I was glad we went.

I think you should back if you can; if you don't have fun, just leave, but I think you may regret it if you don't. But if you don't go you won't know what you may have missed.

vCash
    Holy crap! This thread made me realize that my tenth is around the corner. Anyway, I've kept in contact with those from high school that I was friends with and don't have much of a need to go back to mine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    My 30-year is coming up in early October. Part of me would like to go, but I'm really self conscious about my weight (I'm probably 40-45 pounds overweight). I've always been pretty shy & socially awkward, but somehow ended up the town's festival queen & a cheerleader back in the day. The thought of people at the reunion gossiping about how I've "let myself go" makes my heart ache. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it's hard.
    This is exactly why I didn't go to my 30th. I was a VERY skinny guy in HS, and for me to show up decidely not skinny was too much for me to bear. I just know those stupid BMOC's I referenced earlier would have a field day at my expense, so I just decided to pass. Sure, I understand my letting them get to me like this means they win again, but it was just easier that way. Plus I didn't care that much about going anyway. However, I've started the process to get into better shape so I can go to my next reunion and not have to deal with this issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    It also sounds like he could have been in a 12 step program.
    I suppose that is possible, but he gave no indication that was the case. It just seemed like something he felt he had to do. But you are correct, that's a classic 12 step task.

vCash
    My 50th is coming up. For the past 20 or so years, my class has gotten together with classes from the same year, the one below and the one above from about 6 neighboring schools. We have a dinner and dancing to the music of a band from our era, whose leader is still going for fun with another band--that one plays too so it's nonstop music, in fact, the music defines our era and our age. It's a great event each and every time.

All of the girls from my class think it would be fab to go to Maine for a girls weekend this next year when we are all having a big birthday. Somehow it doesn't have the same appeal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    We went to my husband's 20th... Now, I'm not trying to be elitist, but I had absolutely nothing to say to most of them past "hi" and "I'm from michigan - we met in the Navy"... I ended up spending most of my time with the bartender!...
    This reminds me of something I was going to post earlier, and that is, unless your spouse/date/SO/ went to your HS around the same time you did, you should spare them the boredom, and go by yourself.

I actually took a friend that I've stayed in touch with, who graduated a year after me, and we had a blast! So much better than taking her husband / my boyfriend, who would've had nothing to do but talk to each other and drink.

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    I left high school early because of health issues, and moved away not long after. I'm in contact with a few people I was friends with and was invited to a makeshift 10th reunion, the day after the official one. It's at a Pub, so there will probably be less pressure.
    I need to lose 10 pounds in the next week or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    You won't be the only one. Unless you were in a graduating class of one! At my 20 year, it was the jock girls who had gained the most weight. One female sports superstar probably weighs 300+ lbs. Your 40 may look like nothing compared to others. Then there will be the bald guys with beer guts that look like they are carrying triplets or quads in the third trimester....

Seriously, you might walk out thinking "I'm looking pretty good!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    We went to my husband's 20th. He's from a teeny tiny town in Pennsylvania (his graduating class had only 100 people). I'd say 90% of the people there had never left the area and most of them hadn't had education past high school. Now, I'm not trying to be elitist, but I had absolutely nothing to say to most of them past "hi" and "I'm from michigan - we met in the Navy" because I literally felt like I had been dropped into a time machine. All the women talked about their babies and all the men about football and very little else.
    But what did you expect them to talk about? Did you try to bring up other subjects? When people make small talks it's most comfortable to talk about their families or sports like football.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    But what did you expect them to talk about? Did you try to bring up other subjects? When people make small talks it's most comfortable to talk about their families or sports like football.
    I should have been more clear. They talked to each other about their kids/shopping/Steelers etc because 98% of them saw each other around town each week anyway. There was absolutely no room for anyone outside of the town to be there - DH was accepted only due to the "it's been so many years" factor. FTR, I am generally someone who can talk with anyone about pretty much anything but this was a very closed group of people.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Our HS (and the African-American HS that existed during segregation times) put on a combined 1970-through-1980 class reunion last year (the school system consolidated the high schools in the fall of 1970). I'm Class of 1973, and I come from a small town (around 8,000 people). It extended over 2 nights. I had a terrific time, and it seems that pretty much everyone else around was really enjoying him/herself.

BTW, I've put on much more than 40 pounds since HS and I was no jock, believe me. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to see each other, and I got no snarking. In fact, I got compliments for looking much younger than the 54 years I was at the time.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    My 10 year reunion was really fun. It was in 2005. No one was giving their 10 year resume and pretty much everyone just wanted to get drunk and have fun LOL. It was at a really nice venue and everyone was dressed in "cocktail" attire. The girl who was considered the big nerd back in high school was there and you could tell she put a lot of effort into her outfit etc... She did not really talk to anyone except her friend, but from what I saw, everyone (me included) was going up and saying hi to her and telling her how great she looked, and a couple people invited her to the after party at a near by bar. I thought that was nice. She was probably like "f- off" when she got home LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    This reminds me of something I was going to post earlier, and that is, unless your spouse/date/SO/ went to your HS around the same time you did, you should spare them the boredom, and go by yourself.
    If you're not looking to hook up, bring along your SO. Otherwise, if you're even halfway-hot, you'll have a barrage of exes trying to re-hookup with you, and people who never had you then attempting to make up for lost opportunities.

vCash
    If it's just three hours, I'd say go. During my 10 year reunion, a lot of people were unemployed. You may even meet up with someone who can help you get a job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    If you're not looking to hook up, bring along your SO. Otherwise, if you're even halfway-hot, you'll have a barrage of exes trying to re-hookup with you, and people who never had you then attempting to make up for lost opportunities.
    All you have to do is say no - and whip out the pictures...

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I had a lot of fun at my 10-year reunion. I was not happy with my weight (and I'm still not), but I was glad that I had a husband since I was single during most of HS. I did have a potentially embarassing moment when I almost choked on my dinner, but luckily one of my tablemates is an RN, so she kept an eye on me.

My 15 year reunion will be next year, if we have one. I'd like to use that as part of my motivation to lose weight! It's good to have goals.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Just an update. I went and had a really great time! My close group of friends all went except for 1. We all met at a friends house and rode together so it was a great time from start to finish. Everyone had a good time and was very nice. The place was nice but the price was ridiculous. It was $45 ($60 at the door) and all they had was some little horderves out on the bar such as frozen meatballs, cheese, veggies, etc. I couldn't believe we paid so much to rent that room, even if it was nice. I hope next time they do something with more food! I am really happy I went so thanks for all the advice.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast