Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    My 30-year is coming up in early October. Part of me would like to go, but I'm really self conscious about my weight (I'm probably 40-45 pounds overweight). I've always been pretty shy & socially awkward, but somehow ended up the town's festival queen & a cheerleader back in the day. The thought of people at the reunion gossiping about how I've "let myself go" makes my heart ache. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it's hard.
    Repeat after me: "Life will do that to you, baby." This should be done in a sassy yet cheerful voice. Say this to anyone who is rude enough to comment on your weight gain.

vCash
    I'm glad you had a good time Brian!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    Went to my 10 year. Got a couple more facebook friends and found out that my 8th grade bestie doesn't hate me like I thought. I was really nervous, but it was worth it.

vCash
    I think I gave a pretty good run down on going to my 50th last year. I had a grand time & my ribs hurt for a week afterwards from all the laughing I did. One of my best buddies from that school, from the class of '61, had me stay with him while I was there & I reignited a friendship. We're still very much in touch & I'm making plans to see him, and all the other folks there, at a now yearly get together on Nov 12, 2011 (for all graduates of all classes since the school opened in the 1890s, I believe. Not many from that era make, though......). That 50th reunion was the only one I've attended. I'll do my best to make as many more as I can.

NJL

vCash
    I went to mine over the week-end. Only a fraction showed up; I honestly was bored. i caught up with a few people and then I left. They are planning another one in 5 years.

vCash
    Umm.. my 10th year would probably be.. next year, yeah because I was in 11th grade during 9/11. Yeah, I started my university studies in 2002.

Hrmm.. It would be fun to go, I never made a lot of friends in HS (people thought I was a bit geeky and the issue of racism against white Americans is real in Mexico though the PC crowd tries to deny it). I know what some of the people I was closer with have been doing, most of them got computer science and computer engineering degrees. One of them who was really gung-ho about chemical engineering ended up as an accountant, I bumped into him on the subway once when I was going to a hospital for med school classes and we chatted all the way. I also bumped into another one of the guys from that clique on the street again going to class. He didn't change at all, got a telecommunication engineering degree and the first time I found him he was looking for work and the second time he had a stable job.

I was surprised when one of the hunkier guys of the clique got married out of the blue and now rents a house in the same area with his kids. He was once totally into me but I always found him to be too childish for my type, I'm more into older and quieter guys.

The biggest surprise was to find one of the school jocks get married with a daughter right after he finished HS. I was skating at the local rink when he brought his 2 year old daughter for skating lessons, he was too shy to talk to me (his wife was around so I assume he didn't want her to think wrongly). He was also getting sort of pudgy fast. One of my classmates went to med school in the same school I went to but he graduated before me and I've lost contact with him. I think he's now working in Spain and unfortunately going bald.

I don't think 10 year reunions organized by schools are custom where I live, but some people like to do informal hangups in bars. Most people that I have bumped into all say I look just as ultra skinny as ever (I'm actually even thinner now than I was 10 years ago). The people that met me were pleasantly surprised about the degree I got into, but not too surprised.

Even if my school did 10th years I don't know who I'd talk to. I've lost contact with most of the folks but I know most of them still live in the same area (I moved out and travel a lot because of my job). It might be fun but I'd probably freak out if guys that were never interested in me (and viceversa) would start asking me out for dates.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    I went to mine over the week-end. Only a fraction showed up; I honestly was bored. i caught up with a few people and then I left. They are planning another one in 5 years.
    This was your 20th? I am assuming from your age. I wonder how many of us will be at the 20th. I didn't get a head count but I am sure it was only about half of us that showed up for the 10th so the 20th may be pretty obsolete if the trend continues. I do hope we are all still alive. We were talking about it at the reunion, we are the only graduating class we can think of (within about 4 years either way) that hasn't lost anyone. Each year someone passed away it seems but never in our class and no one has had an accident or cancer or what not. (knock on wood) Would be great to keep the streak going into our 20th.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    My 15th is next year .

I didn't go to the 10 year reunion. I think I was still holding a lot of resentment about things that happened back in high school. I assumed that people didn't really care if I was there or not. At that point, I was friends with a few people from high school on facebook, but not many. Those people either weren't going or understood why I didn't want to go. So, I convinced myself it would be a bad idea, that I would run into people I didn't want to see, etc. I felt so stupid when I saw the pictures because none of the people I wanted to avoid actually showed up. The people that were there genuinely seemed to have a good time from what I heard. I actually kind of felt dumb for not going and it made me think about a tendency I have to avoid situations and miss out on things if I think it might be the slightest bit uncomfortable.

Another strange thing happened, more and more people from high school started adding me on Facebook. I ended up having a lot of interesting conversations with people that I wasn't exactly friends with in high school. Long story short, it was very interesting to see how all of these people that I thought had amazing times in high school were as miserable and lonely as I was. So, as adults, I've gotten to know and respect a lot of these people.

I'm planning on going to the 15 year. I hope it turns out as good as the 10 year appeared to turn out.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Zamboni Zombie
    vCash
    I went to my 5th and my 20th high school reunions, had lots of fun at both of them and talked to people I didn't talk to in high school at both of them. I've added a few old high school friends on Facebook, but stopped doing so after a while as I figured out I mostly just enjoyed catching up at reunions.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    My school is so ghetto and disorganized I doubt we'll ever have a reunion past our 10th. In fact, my distant cousin (who I didn't know was a distant cousin at the time) on the organizing committee of three (including two others who I never heard of) asked me to contact the class president because I was the only one who knew how. There was a MYSPACE page (and yes, this was recent) that just read, "$75 and your are entitled to 2 non-alcoholic beverages $70 if you are vegetarian." Oh my.

Anyway, I sent a spy - probably the only person I'm still in contact with from my grade is one of those guys who still goes to the high school football games and has memorized the yearbook and everything we commented on. He did say that only those who wanted to be there were there, so it was good, but it sounded boring to me. There was a bar night with a cover before the reunion, and I happened to be in the back seat of a car passing by that very bar on the night of, and ducked (and peeked).

The friend later met up with me and brought the memory book, which was a plastic-spiral-bound Kinko's job with tables made in Microsoft Word. I remember one quote (by a girl I never heard of) saying, "I got 3 kids and I'm on numbah 4 babeee!" And the freshman class president who had crazy anger issues just said, "I tole all y'all I'm better than you and look at me now I build roller coasters at 6 Flags." Two hilarious statements were those gals who each said the highlight of their lives was the last summer vacation they took with each other. Kinda like how BF/GF types will pull senior quote tricks in the yearbook, having fragmented conversations with each other across pages.

It is a bit unfortunate though - for years I genuinely wanted to go just because I don't keep up with anyone and always like hearing what everyone's up to. Specifically - did anyone finally come out? Did anyone go to amazing colleges and travel the world and I'd read about them in newspapers? By the time the actual reunion came around, my feelings changed, and I wanted to avoid everyone. Facebook spying has been a happy medium, I must say.

vCash
    Boy, am I glad this thread was posted. My 30 year reunion is tomorrow night & not only am I going, I'm excited about it! Since last posting on my dreading people's reaction to my weight gain, I decided to get off my self-pitying butt & start improving myself - not for people at the reunion, but for ME. I threw out all the junk food & transitioned to an almost full vegetarian diet. I've lost 20 of the extra 40 pounds I was carrying around & have gone down 2 dress sizes. I feel (and look) so much better!

I rewarded myself by going out & buying a pretty new dress & some uber cute peep toe pumps. I'm getting my hair, nails & makeup done as a special treat, too. I'm going to walk confidently into that reunion tomorrow night & have a great time, and if somebody doesn't think I'm thin enough they can kiss my newly svelte, spanx-covered ass!

vCash
    I went to my 35th year high school reunion today. It was fun! It was on my way home from checking on my aunt, so it was pretty easy. It was a lunch thing, but I knew I would miss the lunch. I walked in as they were posing for a big group shot, so it was quite an entrance I made, as they all turned towards me and yelled my name. One of my best friends from high school was particularly excited, and as soon as the pictures were done, she jumped up and ran over and hugged me very excitedly. She hadn't known I was coming, so she was quite surprised. I stayed around an hour and a half and had a great time. I'm glad I went!

vCash
    My 10 year is this year. I was going to fly back home for it, as its only a 4 hour flight, but now I'm dj-ing at a wedding so I can't. Pretty much everyone from my school lives in the same suburb as they did when we were in school, and work locally. Im sure it would have been a bit of a laugh, but, I'm not bother either way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123