Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

The very annoying US Postal Service (USPS)

First of all, please allow me to apologize for the length of this post.

Until recently my feelings toward the US Postal Service were fairly neutral. I even sympathized with them at times because fewer people are using them. Since last year though I started seeing how incompetent they were, and getting worse. I heard from others what had happened to -for example, their certified mail that never reached the destination, not getting reimbursed when an insured parcel was not received, mail being placed in the wrong boxes, and so on.

It all culminated in my most recent experience. I was on vacation for a month. I had my mail held at the P.O. for 30 days, which was the maximum length of time they hold. When I returned, I fully expected to find my mail delivered, as I had requested, in my locked mail box which is about 50 yards away from my home.

Instead, the friend who picked me up at the airport told me that when she went to my house to check if everything was OK, she found a bundle of accumulated mail at my door. I found this shocking because the PO always expressed concern over leaving mail overnight in LOCKED mail boxes, because mail thefts have taken place in this city. For them to leave it outside my door, inviting someone to walk away with it, was opening door to identity theft and other possible crimes.

I called the USPS 800 number to complain about it. They recorded my complaint and forwarded it to my local PO. The supervisor from that PO kept leaving me messages on my work phone at odd hours when I could not possibly be there. That was a small matter. However, when I finally did reach her, she was extremely rude, and defended leaving the mail outside. She said it could not fit in the mail box, so the PO did me a favor in leaving the mail outside, otherwise I would have to go to the PO to pick it up. I would have rather gone to the PO to pick up the mail than to risk getting it stolen.

First of all, there are two very large mail boxes with locks next to the group mail boxes we have in my neighborhood. Whenever an object cannot fit in the regular mailbox, the mailman leaves it in the big box and leaves the key in my mailbox, so I can get it. From the size of the bundle, I dare say they could have fitted two of those in the large mail box. So her claim had no merit. I tried to talk to the woman but she kept interrupting and not letting me speak. She was one of the rudest person I have ever dealt with. She went as far as saying that since I received the mail, it was not stolen, so it means they did the right thing.

How can I assume that someone did not remove a part of the mail from my doorstep and how can the PO say that I received ALL the mail? Theoretically it cannot be proven. I asked for her supervisor and I was told she was on vacation. I had enough of this nonsense and I hung up.

I called the USPS 800 number again to see who was the highest authority for USPS in Arizona and I was told there wasn't any, other than the local PO, meaning the person I had talked to. It was shocking to me that they had no concern at all for the customer. When I said I wanted to write a letter to the USPS (I had already experienced what happens when I try talking to them by phone), I was given the address of 'Consumer advocate' in Washington DC. I don't even have to guess that my complaint will find the trash can without anyone of significance seeing it. Even if they did, I have already seen the attitude of postal workers- they can do nothing wrong, even though I keep seeing the mistakes they make. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's their attitude that is most bothersome. A simple apology would have satisfied me in this case.

I will still write to that address they gave me, but I have no expectation of anyone from the USPS admitting what they did was wrong.

I am thoroughly disgusted with the USPS, and if I had a choice, I would not use them at all. Someone at my work said it was going to be privatized. May be that's the only way they will improve, because a profit seeking business is not going to slam a customer like that.

vCash
    That really sucks. I can see why you are so POed.

Being an evil Canuckistani I am not sure of the "chain of command" for the USPS, but would it do any good to contact your congressperson's constituency office to see if they could put you in touch with someone at the USPS who might take your concerns seriously?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    For years and years they had no reason or desire to improve or worry about customer relations. Now it is a must but they haven't figured out how to do it, it seems. I do agree, the ONLY way they will give a damn is if they are privatized and ideally, in competition. I don't know if there will ever be competition on a large scale, though.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    So funny you post this now. I sent a package to a friend in Australia on July 21. She just told me it still hasn't arrived. When I put the customs form number in the tracking tool on the USPS website, all it says is they received it at the location I dropped it on that date. No other progress. I'm going to stop by there tomorrow to find out where the hell it is. I truly hope they didn't lose it because one item is not able to be replaced. Grrr....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    <snip>...... May be that's the only way they will improve, because a profit seeking business is not going to slam a customer like that.
    Ya wanna bet? I get treated like crap by CSR's all the time in all kinds of businesses.

That aside, it really sucks you had to endure that. Perhaps their attitude is the way it is cause they know there's nothing you can do about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatfoote View Post
    Ya wanna bet? I get treated like crap by CSR's all the time in all kinds of businesses.

That aside, it really sucks you had to endure that. Perhaps their attitude is the way it is cause they know there's nothing you can do about it.
    That's part of it, I am sure.

What's CSR? Customer Service Representatives?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    That really sucks. I can see why you are so POed.

Being an evil Canuckistani I am not sure of the "chain of command" for the USPS, but would it do any good to contact your congressperson's constituency office to see if they could put you in touch with someone at the USPS who might take your concerns seriously?
    Thanks. The thought to write to a senator did cross my mind. I may do it and see what happens.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    LOL......thanks for lightening things up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    So funny you post this now. I sent a package to a friend in Australia on July 21. She just told me it still hasn't arrived. When I put the customs form number in the tracking tool on the USPS website, all it says is they received it at the location I dropped it on that date. No other progress. I'm going to stop by there tomorrow to find out where the hell it is. I truly hope they didn't lose it because one item is not able to be replaced. Grrr....
    Customs numbers are not the same thing as tracking numbers. I (cautiously) ship worldwide on eBay, and they caution over and over again that you cannot use customs numbers like they are tracking numbers, because they are not treated as such by postal workers. In order to have true international tracking, you have to buy it separately - typically at about 3 times the postage price

Most likely, Australia customs has your package. Unfortunately, customs can be wildly inconsistent in their release of packages.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Similiar thing happened to me in Feb. I mailed a parcel "International Priority" to the UK and was told it should get there in 7-10 days. Yeah, right! I kept checking the customes tracking number (which the PO told me to do), too, and it never changed from the drop-off date! Finally, after five weeks, I called my local PO to ask them to check if the parcel ever made it out of the office (lots of friends have had this charming experience). The lady was not rude but assured me that that just couldn't possibly happen But guess what? Exactly one week later it magically appeared in the UK at my friend's house! Gee, ya think maybe my call had something to do with it? Naaaaah.

ITA with the other posters that privatization is the only hope for it. Right now it's only "good enough for government work"

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    That's part of it, I am sure.

What's CSR? Customer Service Representatives?

Yes. CSR=Customer Service Representative.

vCash
    Several months ago I renewed my passport. The carrier delivered the new one to someone else on my street and a 7 year old kid brought it over to me. Needless to say, I was not amused. Spoke with the local postmaster. Wonder if he ever even brought it up to the carrier.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    When I got my last passport, something had happened to the envelope in route presumably. It arrived in town with only two letters of my first name, the last letter of my street and my apt number, and the zip code readable. The envelope read like this:

Am
    d St. #1
    (zip code)
    The rest was smeared to the point of being unreadable.

The local post office checked their records and then with the district court clerk to see who had filed a passport app recently and a carrier delivered it to my door to see if it was mine.

I think the competency issue depends on your post office.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I think the competency issue depends on your post office.
    I agree.
    Team Peeps!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Me three. I've had way more problems with Fedex and DHL than I've ever had with the USPS or UPS.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I'm getting fed up with their hours. Our local PO is open 9-5 M-F and now 10-3 Saturdays, making it borderline impossible for anyone with a job to get in without leaving work (especially those of us known to work Saturdays.) And they will have a line out the door, but one person working the counter while the other does something else. If they would get an APC to put in the lobby, I'd be fine. Of course, it would also make more sense not to lock the FREE Priority Mail packaging up when they're closed, too, so I can't even get a packing label after hours.

But they don't care and will never change, unless their protected status is eliminated. They know we can't send first-class mail any other way. But if there was a UPS store in our town, as far as packages go....

vCash
    You know, the more I read about the USPS, the less surprised I am that a friend, who retired 6 years ago after 30 years as a City Carrier, but remained active with the union typing up the local NALC chapter newsletter and going to the national conventions, told me in May that he had just typed up his last union newsletter. I never did ask him why; when I see him Saturday, maybe I'll run this topic by him and get his take on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    You know, the more I read about the USPS, the less surprised I am that a friend, who retired 6 years ago after 30 years as a City Carrier, but remained active with the union typing up the local NALC chapter newsletter and going to the national conventions, told me in May that he had just typed up his last union newsletter. I never did ask him why; when I see him Saturday, maybe I'll run this topic by him and get his take on it.
    I was waiting for this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I was waiting for this
    ...Or I'll ask him and keep to myself whatever it is I find out. I don't see anyone else here saying "I work for the USPS..." or "I know someone who was a career employee with the USPS, and I'll ask them for their take on the situation..."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast